Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

As for what is the all-time favorite Halloween rock song, apparently there is no contest. I've been to 4 spinning classes this week, and in all 4 of them, the instructor played Michael Jackson's "Thriller". Santana's

"Black Magic Woman", Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London", David Bowie's "Scary Monsters(and Super creeps)", and Oingo Boingo's "Dead Man's Party" were nowhere in sight.

Lately, I've been into the more low-key late 60s-mid 70s music.  The singer-songwriter era, if you will.  

While this isn't a singer/songwriter song, I really like CCR.  I like John Fogarty's voice and the bluesy sound of their songs.  Though I'm somewhat tired of "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" and "Proud Mary" as those seem to be the only CCR songs that are played on the radio.  

They have a lot of other great songs.  

This one is one of my favorites:

"Long As I Can See the Light." 

That was such a great era for music.  I wish the radio would play a wider variety of their songs.  "Fortunate Son" is one of my favorites.

I saw them in concert in about 1971 or so.  We pushed our way to the front (maybe one of the reasons I have tinnitus today, all that a rushing to the front!) and got to watch them close up.  They really put on a powerful show.

• Like 1

Originally done by Bauhaus, and considered by some (I don't like it) to be the best goth-rock record. For that sub-category, the best, IMHO, might be "Christine", by Siouxsie and the Banshees.

It's just one of my favorite Halloween songs.  "Christine" is a good song, though I hadn't thought about it being goth rock.  I guess I have trouble with the various labels, and figuring out what is what.

As for favorite Halloween songs, these are my favorites:

My first favorite, "I Put a Spell On You," CCR

Other favorites:

Ghostbusters Theme

"Godzilla," Blue Oyster Cult

"Witchy Woman," The Eagles

"Welcome to My Nightmare," Alice Cooper

"Monster Mash," Bobby "Boris" Pickett

"Love Potion #9," The Searchers

The Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack

Theme from Psycho

"Black Magic Woman," Santana

• Like 1

It's just one of my favorite Halloween songs.  "Christine" is a good song, though I hadn't thought about it being goth rock.  I guess I have trouble with the various labels, and figuring out what is what.

There is punk, post-punk, power pop, new wave, no-wave, goth-rock, classic alternative., and God knows what else.

Other favorites:

Ghostbusters Theme

Theme from Psycho

My very favorite, and one of my all-time favorites (period) is Bowie's "Scary Monsters (and super creeps)"

Other favorites:

Ghostbusters Theme

Theme from Psycho

WHAT????

No "Frankenstein"  from EDGAR WINTER?

Incomplete list at best.

And, give me "Love Potion #9" by the CLOVERS instead!

Here's a funny thing("funny" as in odd, but either will fit)

I bought a cassette tape(this is back in the late '80's) that was supposed to be "scary" Halloween sounds.  Sure, most of the noise on it WAS...creaking doors, rattling chains, malevolent sounding laughter and wolf howling.  Crap like that.  The BACKGROUND MUSIC however, was.........

Ready?........

The Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds Of Fire"!  :D

What WERE they thinking???

Sepiatone

WHAT????

No "Frankenstein"  from EDGAR WINTER?

Incomplete list at best.

And, give me "Love Potion #9" by the CLOVERS instead!

Here's a funny thing("funny" as in odd, but either will fit)

I bought a cassette tape(this is back in the late '80's) that was supposed to be "scary" Halloween sounds.  Sure, most of the noise on it WAS...creaking doors, rattling chains, malevolent sounding laughter and wolf howling.  Crap like that.  The BACKGROUND MUSIC however, was.........

Ready?........

The Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Birds Of Fire"!  :D

What WERE they thinking???

Sepiatone

"I Put a Spell on You" (assuming it is the same song) was originally done by Screaming Jay Hawkins.

Sepiatone, how can someone's listing of his/her personal favorites be incomplete?

Thank you Holden.

While "Frankenstein" is a fine instrumental song, it isn't among my favorites.  

I also prefer the CCR version of "I Put a Spell on You" as I find the original version by Screamin' Jay Hawkins to be annoying.  I don't like all the pig snorting noises and other nonsense that he inserts into the song.  I prefer CCR's more soulful version.  John Fogarty's voice is much more pleasant sounding.

I can't believe I forgot Michael Jackson's "Thriller."  That is an awesome Halloween song.  I also like Alice Cooper's "Feed My Frankenstein." 

Thank you Holden.

While "Frankenstein" is a fine instrumental song, it isn't among my favorites.  

I also prefer the CCR version of "I Put a Spell on You" as I find the original version by Screamin' Jay Hawkins to be annoying.  I don't like all the pig snorting noises and other nonsense that he inserts into the song.  I prefer CCR's more soulful version.  John Fogarty's voice is much more pleasant sounding.

I can't believe I forgot Michael Jackson's "Thriller."  That is an awesome Halloween song.  I also like Alice Cooper's "Feed My Frankenstein." 

"Thriller" was also played in my spinning class yesterday. That's 4 for 4.

Sepiatone, how can someone's listing of his/her personal favorites be incomplete?

Just forwarding an opinion is all.

Plus, maybe it was an oversight on the person's part?  It's a possibility, don't you think?

Or....

DON'T you?  :D

:P

Sepiatone

Just forwarding an opinion is all.

Plus, maybe it was an oversight on the person's part?  It's a possibility, don't you think?

Or....

DON'T you?  :D

:P

Sepiatone

Obviously you don't understand the concepts of favorites and personal pronouns.

Obviously you don't understand the concepts of favorites and personal pronouns.

As you don't seem to understand the discretion of using PM's.

But, since one CAN'T use crayons in here, I'll do my best to explain in a way that you might understand....

My.   saying.   "An.    In.  Com.  Plete.   List. "   AFTER.   Men. ti.  on.   Ing.   The.    Poster's.     Absence.      Of.    "Frank.  En.  Stein".     In.     MY.   O.  Pin.  Ion.     Made.    It.      An.      In.      com.      Plete.     List.

I.   Would.   Have.    Thought.   That.    Im.   Plic.  Ation.   was.   Ob.   Vi.    Ous.

Truthfully, most of the songs on anybody's list aren't really "Halloween songs".  Just as many songs we associate with Christmas aren't about Christmas, or the celebration of the day(such as "Jingle Bells", "My Favorite Things", "Winter Wonderland", Sleigh Ride" and others), but because they're songs that seem to celebrate the season Christmas is smack in the middle of, we let it slide.  And as they have long been played in what we consider "the Christmas season", we allow ourselves to be put in the spirit of the holiday when hearing them.  But, they'd also be appropriate in January and February as well.

Now, some of the songs picked by others here are not neccesarily Halloween songs per se, but as do the songs mentioned it the aforementioned diatribe, they do seem to put many in the "Halloween spirit"( and doesn't "Spirit" seem to be a fitting word in this case?).  Like for instance....

Of all the songs mentioned in Speedracer's 10/30 list, "Monster Mash" and "Welcome To My Nightmare" are the only ones that might be considered actual "Halloween" songs.  Some of the others, like "Jingle Bells" at Christmas, merely help put one in the MOOD.

I really can't figure out how, for example, "Love Potion #9"  would put anyone in the Halloween spirit.  Especially that "lame-o" Searchers' version.  But, the MUCH better CLOVERS original also doesn't conjur(no pun intent) any Halloween thoughts for me.

But in the final analysis, if it works for you, that's all that counts.  That they DON'T work for anyone ELSE shouldn't put your panties in a bunch.  ;)

Sepiatone

As you don't seem to understand the discretion of using PM's.

But, since one CAN'T use crayons in here, I'll do my best to explain in a way that you might understand....

My.   saying.   "An.    In.  Com.  Plete.   List. "   AFTER.   Men. ti.  on.   Ing.   The.    Poster's.     Absence.      Of.    "Frank.  En.  Stein".     In.     MY.   O.  Pin.  Ion.     Made.    It.      An.      In.      com.      Plete.     List.

I.   Would.   Have.    Thought.   That.    Im.   Plic.  Ation.   was.   Ob.   Vi.    Ous.

Truthfully, most of the songs on anybody's list aren't really "Halloween songs".  Just as many songs we associate with Christmas aren't about Christmas, or the celebration of the day(such as "Jingle Bells", "My Favorite Things", "Winter Wonderland", Sleigh Ride" and others), but because they're songs that seem to celebrate the season Christmas is smack in the middle of, we let it slide.  And as they have long been played in what we consider "the Christmas season", we allow ourselves to be put in the spirit of the holiday when hearing them.  But, they'd also be appropriate in January and February as well.

Now, some of the songs picked by others here are not neccesarily Halloween songs per se, but as do the songs mentioned it the aforementioned diatribe, they do seem to put many in the "Halloween spirit"( and doesn't "Spirit" seem to be a fitting word in this case?).  Like for instance....

Of all the songs mentioned in Speedracer's 10/30 list, "Monster Mash" and "Welcome To My Nightmare" are the only ones that might be considered actual "Halloween" songs.  Some of the others, like "Jingle Bells" at Christmas, merely help put one in the MOOD.

I really can't figure out how, for example, "Love Potion #9"  would put anyone in the Halloween spirit.  Especially that "lame-o" Searchers' version.  But, the MUCH better CLOVERS original also doesn't conjur(no pun intent) any Halloween thoughts for me.

But in the final analysis, if it works for you, that's all that counts.  That they DON'T work for anyone ELSE shouldn't put your panties in a bunch.  ;)

Sepiatone

This is so basic that I can't believe you can't grasp it, but I'll try again. 

An individual's favorites are his/her favorites.

Another individual cannot say that others' lists of their favorites is incomplete.

It is their list!

You may have your favorites, but not including your favorites on their list of favorites cannot make their list of their favorites incomplete.

It is a complete list of their favorites.

I suspect you performed poorly on reading comprehension tests in junior high.

This is so basic that I can't believe you can't grasp it, but I'll try again. 

An individual's favorites are his/her favorites.

Another individual cannot say that others' lists of their favorites is incomplete.

It is their list!

You may have your favorites, but not including your favorites on their list of favorites cannot make their list of their favorites incomplete.

It is a complete list of their favorites.

I suspect you performed poorly on reading comprehension tests in junior high.

He got an A in -----disturbing, though.

I'm still thinking of how awesome the Foo Fighters were when I saw them in concert almost two months ago.  Dave Grohl is so talented and just an all around great guy.  I love Grohl, because he is a genuine musician who just loves music.  He isn't out pushing some political agenda, or trying stupid publicity stunts to get his picture in magazines or anything of that ilk.  He loves making his own music or listening/jamming with other bands to their music.  If Foo Fighters were to ever to stop making their own music (which I'd be sad if they ever did), and switched to performing only covers, they'd be the world's greatest tribute band.  During the show I went to, they did a medley of Queen and Van Halen songs.  It's obvious how much Grohl loves music and he performs with everyone.  I've seen him with Paul McCartney, Tom Petty, Tenacious D, David Bowie and countless others.  

Anyway... this is one of my absolute favorite Foo Fighters songs:

It's so sweet.  The video is kind of corny as it's parodying the Mentos commercials from the 90s (which obviously were current when this video was produced).  Dave Grohl looks so young.  I think he actually looks better now.  His braided pigtails are somewhat hilarious. 

Foo Fighters performed this song at the show I went to and it was a such a great scene.  The lighting technician turned the lights down way low and then Dave asked everyone to go old school and take out their lighters (or cell phone flashlights if they didn't have a lighter, which I didn't.  I don't smoke, I don't need a lighter on my person) and hold them up.  To see the Rose Garden arena all lit up using only the light from 19,000 people's lighters and cell phone lights was a gorgeous sight.  

• Like 1

While I'm not all that big on Grohl, OR The Foo Fighters, I will concede they ARE very competent musicians, and Grohl a much talented guitarist/drummer(yeah, there ARE some who didn't know he was also a drummer).  But what I DO like about Grohl might also be a bit of "urban legend", but if true, shows class.

The model of GIBSON guitar he plays has long been known as the TRINI LOPEZ signature model.  Gibson, I had heard, considered renaming it the DAVID GROHL signature, since Trini had long ago ceased being a "name" in the music industry.  It was claimed Grohl turned down the offer out of respect for Lopez, whose name HAD been on that particular model of 335 for so long!

Now, THAT'S class!

Sepiatone