Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

You could scour thrift shops possibly find a copy.

I've found old copies of LPs I had as an adolescent and haven't seen since I was 14 or 15, and STILL in decent playing condition, and for only FIFTY CENTS!

I once found an old copy of "Beatles '65"( known in England as "Beatles For Sale") that was LIKE NEW!

Worth a try,anyway.

Sepiatone

I'm one of those rare birds who just couldn't get enough of Andy Kaufman - and I don't mean in his role on 'Taxi'. I mean his fascinating "reality" plays in life that so perplexed the world.

I think I remember every single time I saw him on anything, anywhere, and how I would just watch him incredulously - not quite sure if what I was seeing was real or not. But never bored by it. Always transfixed.

I wish I had taped it all. Every appearance. Every bit of it.

db, did you see the 1999 film Man on the Moon ? It's a biopic of Andy Kaufman, starring Jim Carrey in the title role. I know a lot of people can't stand Jim Carrey. I'm neither a fan nor a hater, but I thought he did a pretty good job in this film, bringing Andy to light. What a strange guy he was (Andy Kaufman, I mean.)

I only saw this movie once, when it came out, but I remember I liked it. Of course, if you've always been an Andy Kaufman fan, Carrey's depiction of him might have been off-putting, I don't know....

In any case, I've always loved REM's loving tribute song to him.

ps: speedy, towards the end of the video, when they're hanging out in some "good old boys" type bar, there's a guy who looks a lot like Dave Grohl. Could it be?

I have seen 'Man on the Moon' - and Carrey's performance as Andy is terrific. I don't think anyone could do justice to that role any better than Jim Carrey. If Andy had been more popular, Carrey might have won an Oscar for that.

Andy Kaufman was a rare bird.  Somehow I missed Man on the Moon, but now look forward to seeing it.  I remember first seeing Jim Carrey in Earth Girls Are Easy (a little gem!) and was so taken with him in that.  Comedic actors never get enough acclaim, in my view.

I used to have this album. Wonder what ever happened to it.

Thanks for sharing this song.

Serena listened to Boyce & Hart's recording of "I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight" on the "Serena Stops The Show" episode of BEWITCHED, one of my all-time favorite episodes from one of my all-time favorite TV series. 

Serena herself also sings the Boyce & Hart tune "Blow You A Kiss In The Wind" in that episode. 

Boyce & Hart perform the song later in the episode as Serena and Samantha dance.

In the episode, the song was written by Serena.

• Like 1

Boy, that Elizabeth was one attractive chick, wasn't she.

The BEWITCHED episodes with Serena are among my favorites.

I especially liked it when Elizabeth Montgomery as Serena sang.

My favorite Serena performance is "The Iffin Song" from the episode "Hippie Hippie Hooray."

In this case, it's actually Samantha pretending to be Serena. 

Serena has refused to reveal herself to prove to Larry Tate that the "hippie chick" being arrested in the photo on the front page of the paper was not Samantha . . .  so Samantha has to alternate between appearing as herself and Serena during the course of the evening.

Andy Kaufman was a rare bird.  Somehow I missed Man on the Moon, but now look forward to seeing it.  I remember first seeing Jim Carrey in Earth Girls Are Easy (a little gem!) and was so taken with him in that.  Comedic actors never get enough acclaim, in my view.

Does that include Jerry Lewis?

My favorite Serena performance is "The Iffin Song" from the episode "Hippie Hippie Hooray."

Serena has refused to reveal herself to prove to Larry Tate that the "hippie chick" being arrested in the photo on the front page of the paper was not Samantha . . .  so Samantha has to alternate between appearing as herself and Serena during the course of the evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA2e8ZO-UD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA2e8ZO-UD4

Heh!

I remember that episode.  I also remember me and my Mom laughing at the idea of an actress, playing a "dual role" , having her "main" character "pretending" to play the character she's "dual role-ng!"

I also noticed, and also recall Ms. Montgomery bringing it up in an interview that they'd never really acknowledge her as doing a dual role, as it would be so obvious, but they had fun listing Serena in the closing credits as having been played by an actress named PANDORA SPOCKS!

Iremember seeing that, and also a couple of guys getting into a FIGHT about it at school!

"She played a DUAL ROLE!"

"Did NOT!  The CREDITS said it was PANDORA somebody or other!"  :rolleyes:

Ain't the good old days GRAND?

Sepiatone

I don't think I've seen this episode.  Which season is it from? I only have seasons 1-6, I'm missing season 7 & 8. 

I always loved the episodes that had both Serena and Uncle Arthur.  Those ones were hilarious.

I don't think I've seen this episode.  Which season is it from? I only have seasons 1-6, I'm missing season 7 & 8. 

I always loved the episodes that had both Serena and Uncle Arthur.  Those ones were hilarious.

"Hippie Hippie Hooray" was from Season 4 of BEWITCHED.

It's the episode where Serena and Larry meet for the first time.

It's interesting that Samantha (pretending to be Serena) was the first one to call Larry "Cotton Top."

• Like 1

Here's one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite groups. These guys were way ahead of their time when it comes to the subject matter of this song.

But that's not why I love it. it  I love it for its beautiful languid melody and melancholy/bittersweet chorus.

Let's watch the bluebirds fly.

I read an interview with Elizabeth Montgomery. She said that Paul Lynde was always friendly when she was appearing as Samantha opposite him as Uncle Arthur, but when she was playing opposite him as Serena his demeanor toward her off-camera was cold. She surmised that he liked to be the most flamboyant character in any scene he was in and saw "Serena" as a threat.

I agree that the scenes with Serena and Uncle Arthur were wonderful.  

• Like 1

Anyway, we don't have to drive it.

Honey, we can park it out in back.....

I love this song! 

I know it was her pink Cadillac

Crushed velvet seats

Riding in the back

oozing down the street

Here's one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite groups. These guys were way ahead of their time when it comes to the subject matter of this song.

But that's not why I love it. it  I love it for its beautiful languid melody and melancholy/bittersweet chorus.

Let's watch the bluebirds fly.

Thanks for sharing this song MissWonderly.  I haven't listened to much Velvet Underground, though I do like their sound.  Unfortunately, about 12 years ago, I had this stupid ex boyfriend (who I have so much contempt for it makes me angry just thinking about it) anyway... he loved Velvet Underground's "Perfect Day."  While the song is fine, it's pretty much ruined for me.  Just like The Doors' "Waiting for the Sun."  I love The Doors, they're my favorite band, but I can't listen to "Waiting for the Sun," that was his favorite Doors song and it's ruined for me now.  Thank goodness he didn't have an affinity for my favorite Doors song, "Roadhouse Blues."  

Anyway, I digress... what other Velvet Underground songs would you recommend? 

• Like 1

Whoops--guess I've inadvertently discovered how to do multiple quotes!  

Reply to DGF should be "no."  Mais, non!  Though I do somehow like his "Hey lady!" routine.  When Robert Plant sings that line I always imagine Jerry Lewis singing along with the band.

Thanks for sharing this song MissWonderly.  I haven't listened to much Velvet Underground, though I do like their sound.  Unfortunately, about 12 years ago, I had this stupid ex boyfriend (who I have so much contempt for it makes me angry just thinking about it) anyway... he loved Velvet Underground's "Perfect Day."  While the song is fine, it's pretty much ruined for me.  Just like The Doors' "Waiting for the Sun."  I love The Doors, they're my favorite band, but I can't listen to "Waiting for the Sun," that was his favorite Doors song and it's ruined for me now.  Thank goodness he didn't have an affinity for my favorite Doors song, "Roadhouse Blues."  

Anyway, I digress... what other Velvet Underground songs would you recommend? 

Sad how people can ruin songs.  Hope one day all thoughts of the bad boyfriend in connection to the songs are banished.

I hope MissWonderly doesn't mind if I jump in with my favorite Velvet Underground song.  I love this beautiful cover version of Sweet Jane performed by The Cowboy Junkies on Johnny Carson.  (I miss Johnny Carson.):

Just a sidenote you may know.  Vaclav Havel was influenced by a Czech dissident band who sang Velvet Underground songs.  The eventual Czech revolution was coined The Velvet Revolution.  I think Havel and Lou Reed later became friends.

• Like 1

Mitch Ryder did a fairly decent cover of Velvet Underground's "Rock & Roll", although Mitch himself claimed he thought his version paled compared to the original.

Anyway, many in the crowd I hung with thought Velvet Underground really just managed to do what DAVID  PEEL and the Lower East Side were attempting to do in the first place.  Just DID it a WHOLE ot better!

I liked Peel, but could only take him in small doses.

Sepiatone