Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Last night dreamt I heard this song and was so impressed I thought I should let my TCM friends know about it.  Fun to have my first TCM Message Boards-related dream!  In waking life I don't know the band, but have heard the song a few times on the car radio.  I do like it!

• Like 2

Just for fun, connect the dots. We could imagine this is a film ( a pretty bad one), in which the first half of the story is this:

....but the chick changes her mind, falls in love with the guy, and next thing you know she's begging him this:

Come to think of it, that Eric is kind of cute. I could imagine making this request of him. (I'm talking circa 1974.)

Chicks can be fickle that way. B) I love this song, and especially got a thrill out of it back then.  Not to mention those great satin trousers.

• Like 1

The Arctic Monkeys - very cool, Gay Dee.  That dream thing is really interesting. I'm trying to remember if I've ever had a dream about the TCM message boards...maybe. Lately I've been having trouble remembering my dreams. Anyway, thanks for the vid !

This song is played to the end credits of a film I saw recently:  Everybody Wants Some. I think the Van Halen number is also played, but I like The Cars better than V. H.

The lyrical content of both tunes is quite apt for this movie. 

• Like 2

Damn long haired, dope smoking, dirty

hippies and their rock and roll "music."

But it's gotta be rock and roll music, if you wanna dance with me.

Thought I'd mention here, since The Dead have come up: I used to detest them, thought they were pretty much as you describe. Way too hippyish for me. But recently I've been giving them another chance, and they're not half bad.

Damn long haired, dope smoking, dirty

hippies and their rock and roll "music."

But it's gotta be rock and roll music, if you wanna dance with me.

Thought I'd mention here, since The Dead have come up: I used to detest them, thought they were pretty much as you describe. Way too hippyish for me. But recently I've been giving them another chance, and they're not half bad.

I was being facetious about the hippie thing, it was a holdover from

another thread. Certainly the Dead were seen as being hippies or

at least close to it in their early years, as were their fans. In the early

seventies, they moved away from psychedelic music and released

songs there were melodious and compact with a hint of country in

some, while also producing more mellow tunes at the same time. I

remember the well known rock critic Dave Marsh couldn't stand the

Grateful Dead. I don't think he ever came around. To each their own.

...the well known rock critic Dave Marsh couldn't stand the

Grateful Dead. I don't think he ever came around. To each their own.

Dave Marsh and I have something in common, then.

"Sod off, ya smelly hippies! Oi! Oi! Oi!"

Anyone ever hear of Marshall Crenshaw?  I keep hearing his music in the store....."Whenever You're on My Mind"....and "Someday, Someway".......I can't find a cd of his music anywhere.

I'd be surprised if his CDs can't be found on Amazon.

Dave Marsh and I have something in common, then.

"Sod off, ya smelly hippies! Oi! Oi! Oi!"

I suppose you do. I know some of the punks made fun of the

hippies, don't know if the Clash felt that way, or if they even

bothered about it. I like the Dead and the Clash, and not

much of an overlap to worry about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJgCDs-Us7Q

I suppose you do. I know some of the punks made fun of the

hippies, don't know if the Clash felt that way, or if they even

bothered about it. I like the Dead and the Clash, and not

much of an overlap to worry about.

Yeah, I was just joshin' ya. I was playing off of the prevailing anti-hippy sentiment from the punk movement, although I can't say that I ever heard the Clash slag on them too much. 

But the dislike for the Grateful Dead was real.

I maintain that this is the best single Jefferson Airplane ever recorded, better than "Somebody to Love", which was a big hit. This was not. Anyone agree? (I think that "House at Pooneil Corners", which was never a single, was their greatest accomplishment).

• Like 1

I maintain that this is the best single Jefferson Airplane ever recorded, better than "Somebody to Love", which was a big hit. This was not. Anyone agree? (I think that "House at Pooneil Corners", which was never a single, was their greatest accomplishment).

It is a little-known fact that Marty Balin got into a huge fist-fight with Paul Kantner over this song. Apparently it had something to do with Paul's borrowing Marty's copy of The House at Pooh Corner and returning it with clear evidence that it had been read in the bathtub.

6513189-M.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I was just joshin' ya. I was playing off of the prevailing anti-hippy sentiment from the punk movement, although I can't say that I ever heard the Clash slag on them too much. 

But the dislike for the Grateful Dead was real.

I wish I could remember some of Marsh's criticism of the

Dead. I think mindless mediocre noodling would cover

it in general, though he may not have used that actual

phrase.

It is a little-known fact that Marty Balin got into a huge fist-fight with Paul Kantner over this song. Apparently it had something to do with Paul's borrowing Marty's copy of The House at Pooh Corner and returning it with clear evidence that it had been read in the bathtub.

6513189-M.jpg

And even worse, he left some pooh...yep, right in the corner of a page. :(

Moving on to a less repugnant topic....

I know this is pretty obvious, but I don't care. A nod to Rio seems apropos today.

I tried to get the Frank Sinatra version, and for some unfathomable reason it's "not available in my country".  What the frig?? !  This is such an old recording. And all the other tracks on "Come Fly with Me" are available in Canada.

I am so sick of this "rights" business.

• Like 1

Yikes !

I have heard of people using the pages of old books for toilet paper, but this is ridiculous.

Another kind of dirty book. Years ago people used to

joke about using the pages of the Sears' catalog. Thank

goodness for modern two ply t.p.

6513189-M.jpg

Thank you for bringing us this little known fact; they're always most appreciated!  Boy, those Jefferson Airplane fellas sure had a wild side!

• Like 1

6513189-M.jpg

I'm curious why they didn't give this song a title that had something to do with the lyrics of the song, which were a brilliant antiwar diatribe., similar ro "Wooden Ships".

I'm curious why they didn't give this song a title that had something to do with the lyrics of the song, which were a brilliant antiwar diatribe., similar ro "Wooden Ships".

I'm not crazy about "Wooden Ships", precisely because it's so hippyish. And I never really thought it was that good a song, regardless of its lyrics. Sorry, fi, I know you like it.

This is my idea of a good song. The "Blonde on Blonde" version is impossible to get on Youtube, but I found this. I hope some message doesn't pop up, "You have no right to listen to this song on the net."

"Absolutely Sweet Marie", both the music and the lyrics. One of my favourite tunes off one of my favourite Dylan albums.

https://www.izlesene.com/video/bob-dylan-absolutely-sweet-marie-blonde-on-blonde-11/5146239

• Like 1

This is my idea of a good song. The "Blonde on Blonde" version is impossible to get on Youtube, but I found this. I hope some message doesn't pop up, "You have no right to listen to this song on the net."

"Absolutely Sweet Marie", both the music and the lyrics. One of my favourite tunes off one of my favourite Dylan albums.

https://www.izlesene.com/video/bob-dylan-absolutely-sweet-marie-blonde-on-blonde-11/5146239

Enormously frustrating that his songs are disallowed on YouTube.

I love 'You Go Your Way, I'll Go Mine' that leads off one of the sides of the 'Blonde on Blonde' record set. Love that liquid organ flourish. When I purchased the first released CD of the album, I was disappointed to find that the organ was so buried in the mix it had become barely audible.

• Like 1