Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

I'm a big Steely Dan fan. I think their two best songs are "Deacon Blues" and the obscure "Glamour Profession".

I think it was 1987 when I became instantly smitten by the petite, messy-haired Maria McKee - she was fronting the group Lone Justice in their one appearance on SNL and singing 'Shelter'. Not just adorable, but man, can she emote!

She went solo in 1989 and released her self-titled debut album. This track was the album closer on that:

but there's killers on the highway now

and a man can't get round

so I sold my soul for wheels that roll

now I'm stuck here in this town

come back, Woody Guthrie

come back to us now

• Like 1

Great song, db, and one I hadn't heard before. I like Steve Earle, so down-to-earth; just a guy who makes good music.

I hate to be predictable, but I can't resist posting a song here in honour of St. Patrick's Day. So much  Irish music to choose from, but I'm just going to go with a song from the film The Commitments, because I love it, and it's very Irish (even though all the songs they do are actually American. You'd have to see the movie to get it...)

Then I think a little Van the Man Morrison is in order. Again, this song is not particularly Irish, but he's Irish (from Belfast, but Northern Ireland is still Ireland), and besides, I'll go with any excuse to post anything by Van Morrison.

(hey, I said it wasn't an Irish song....it's an Irish movie.  And what a fun song it is.)

This is a really obvious Van choice, I could have picked lots of less known tunes, but I feel Van Morrison doesn't get the love he deserves in North America, so I decided to go with a "hit". Again, far from any Irish content, Van is celebrating an American musician here. There's no need for argument. There's no argument at all.

• Like 1

The great Chuck Berry died today. He was 90.

For some reason, this modest hit from 1961 is one of my very favorite Berry songs.

• Like 3

"Come On" is a great track. The Rolling Stones cover was their very first single in '63.

• Like 2

Another rock legend bites the dust.  Chuck Berry, truly one of the greats.

I thought I was familiar with most of his music, but when I first saw Pulp Fiction, I'd never heard this song, nor did I realize it was a Chuck Berry track. It was released in 1964, a bit after Chuck's golden time, and maybe for that reason it didn't get the attention it deserved.

Here 'tis. I just picked a vid with a still of Chuck Berry, because even though the Pulp Fiction dance number is a delight to watch, I think it might distract a bit from Chuck Berry, who deserves some undiluted attention today.  Good tune.

We all know what a profound and extensive influence Chuck Berry had on rock and roll music. Here's just one example. I'm pretty sure, if you listen, you can hear echoes of the song posted above in this Nick Lowe composition.  You never can tell.

• Like 3

I thought I was familiar with most of his music, but when I first saw Pulp Fiction, I'd never heard this song, nor did I realize it was a Chuck Berry track. It was released in 1964, a bit after Chuck's golden time, and maybe for that reason it didn't get the attention it deserved.

Here t'is. I just picked a vid with a still of Chuck Berry, because even though the Pulp Fiction dance number is a delight to watch, I think it might distract a bit from Chuck Berry, who deserves some undiluted attention today.  Good tune.

We all know what a profound and extensive influence Chuck Berry had on rock and roll music. Here's just one example. I'm pretty sure, if you listen, you can hear echoes of the song posted above in this Nick Lowe composition.  You never can tell.

"Cez La Vie say the Old Folks, goes to show you never can tell"----One of his most enduring lines. 

• Like 1

Man, whoever gets to be with her - the dork or not - is in store for a real happy life with that ****, wouldn't you say.

This is a weird, unexplainable guilty pleasure for me. For whatever reason I just really like it. It also reminds me of the opening scene from Reservoir Dogs.

Here is the original version of the song, misswonderly. Just for comparison. A pretty solid cover by The Commitments, I must say. That guy sure can sing.

• Like 2

To make up for posting a clip of Madonna on this forum, I'm posting videos for these two recent earworms.

I like that song a lot, JSF. Howard DeVoto left the Buzzcocks and formed Magazine, who released this song that I enjoy:

Here 'tis. I just picked a vid with a still of Chuck Berry, because even though the Pulp Fiction dance number is a delight to watch, I think it might distract a bit from Chuck Berry, who deserves some undiluted attention today.  Good tune.

This is my favorite Chuck Berry song.  I heard it for the first time in the car when my family was driving up the coast to Hearst Castle on summer vacation.  You know how songs were played over and over then, by the end of the trip we knew the lyrics by heart (or what we thought were the lyrics!) and were all singing away, my sister and me in the back seat, my parents up in front.  Whenever it comes on today I'm transported, though with a little bittersweet pang for those happy days.     

• Like 2

The closing song of 1997's 'El Corazon' was this tribute to his long time friend and inspiration - Townes Van Zandt - who had died on New Years day previous to the release of the album.

Thanks for the Tony Bennett version of "Maybe This Time", db. The only version I was familiar with was Liza Minelli's, from Cabaret. In which she, too, definitely pulls out all the stops.

Townes Van Zandt: another great songwriter who, seemingly, hardly anyone's heard of (except for real hard core music fans...)

Here's one of his most haunting songs, "Kathleen":

• Like 1

When this Steely Dan song came out I couldn't figure out the title no matter how many times I heard it on the radio.  It may have been decades before I found out what it all meant via the internet.  We had it tough back then!  But it was mysterious and challenging, the guessing of it all was a major after-school occupation.  Now we can simply type in Taylor Swift's or The Weeknd's latest tune and learn everything and then some.  

When I was young and foolish I didn't like Steely Dan, I was into punk and stuff like the Velvet Underground, and I thought Steely Dan were too slick and too smug. 

Now I'm older and wiser and know better; These guys are great ! Complex, often jazzy, sophisticated melodies and arrangements with ace musicianship and really smart ( albeit often sardonic) lyrics.

Here's one of my favourites:

• Like 2