Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

> {quote:title=LonesomePolecat wrote:}{quote}

> I guess I'll jump in here with my favorite TYPES of music, in no order:

I thought your idea was great! May I use your headings for my favorites?

*Movie Music*

May I also recommend Erich Korngold and Bernard Herrmann.

*JAZZ*

Love Mel Torme , Ella, and Billy Eckstine. And for me, Frank Sinatra of the fifties.

*Disney*

I think my favorite is *Fantasia*, followed by *Beauty and the Beast*, and *Lady and the Tramp*

*comedy*

Jean Shepherd, Early 1990s the Golden Age of SNL, Carol Burnett Show and Firesign Theater

*Stand Up*

I Love Bob Newhart, Steve Martin, and David Sedaris reading from his works.

*20s-40s music*

Don't have satellite radio, but really enjoy Miller, Ellington, Goodman, Calloway

*Oldies*

Ouch. I guess they are oldies. I love them all. But the only Dusty Springfield song I really liked was _The Look of Love_. I thought she did better it than even Sergio Mendes.

*Classical*

Rach shakes me and quakes me. Beethoven's 9th is still #1 with me. Also love Elgar.

*Acapella*.

Have you heard *Tonic Sol Fa* ? They are just wonderful. Look up the tune _Chances_.

> I listen to music all the time. it stays in my head all day.

Mine too; but it's because of my iPod earplugs....

It's a good list, Lonesome. You gave it more thought than some here. Thanks for the outline. The music in my head lately is Ennio Morricone's *Cinema Paradiso*. It is sublime.

What's you favorite earworm ?

Hi Butterscotchie...

My most favorite would be "Don't Bring Me Down"... I also like "Telephone Line, Evil Woman, and I Can't Get it Out of My Head"... there are others I like too.. but those would be my more favoite ones...

And YOU???

PS... OH WAIT... It has been so long since I listened to any of their music... I can't believe I almost forgot about this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9hMXnUty6s

I don't know now... Don't Bring Me Down... may be TIED with this one as my all time most fave for them..... I hate choosing favorites.. Ha.

(ps... both DBMD and HOTTYD are a lot less "orchestral" than some of their earlier stuff... but still I like them a lot for the harmonies and they are just a lot of fun to sing too.) :-)

Someone mentioned Musicals. My all time favorite is Steven Soundheim's *Company*. The plot now seems so campy, but I think that's why I love it all the more.

Message was edited by: casablancalover

Oh, I love Glen Campbell.... except I don't like Rhinestone Cowboy. My favorite individual musicians are from the early 70's.

John Hartford is another singer I like very much - he wrote Gentle on my Mind, and then later on, he learned to pilot a riverboat on the Mississippi river. He was an awesome guy, and could play fiddle as well as guitar, banjo, and harmonica.

Who said they like Jane Olivor? She has a great voice, and reminds me of Edith Piaf... very emotional.

cblover, I like a lot of Stephen Sondheim but, alas, I am not familiar with "Company". I should very much like to hear some of it. Are there any particular songs you recommend?

>Who said they like Jane Olivor? She has a great voice, and reminds me of Edith Piaf... very emotional.

That was me. I am stunned to find anyone else who knows her much less likes her. I have seen her several times in concert and it has been such a joy. I met her at a CD signing a few years ago. I already had it so I brought an old album for her to sign. She was very gracious about it. I told her that before I met my wife I spent more time in my basement with her than anyone else. She said she was flattered.

I can deal with the rare song I don't like because the good stuff is so good. "However Dark The Night" should have been a hit.

My sister had some of her albums.... Stay the Night and Chasing Rainbows are the ones I can remember, because I I stole them from her (I was very young). :)

I really love her voice. Now I will have to go and see if I can find "However Dark the Night".

I had them all. "However..." is from "Love Decides." I waited 18 years for that album. Then she did her Christmas album. Find "The Best Side of Goodbye" as well.

Hi Butterscotchie...

hi mrs quiet gal!

My most favorite would be "Don't Bring Me Down"... I also like "Telephone Line, Evil Woman, and I Can't Get it Out of My Head"... there are others I like too.. but those would be my more favoite ones...

i love the part in "dont bring me down" where they say "BRRRRRRRUUUUUUUCCEE!" Telephone Line is another good song of theirs.

And YOU???

i like all of their songs, momma and dady have all of their albums....but i really like their songs "Mr. Blue Sky", and "Strange Majic". "Turn to Stone" is one that i always loving jamming along to in the car.

PS... OH WAIT... It has been so long since I listened to any of their music... I can't believe I almost forgot about this one...

"hold on tight to your dreams" is such a great song of theirs!

I don't know now... Don't Bring Me Down... may be TIED with this one as my all time most fave for them..... I hate choosing favorites.. Ha.

i can understand why! theyre classics! heehee!

(ps... both DBMD and HOTTYD are a lot less "orchestral" than some of their earlier stuff... but still I like them a lot for the harmonies and they are just a lot of fun to sing too.)

as they got older, they werent as "orchestral" with all theirs songs as they were with the earlier ones.

>Oh, I love Glen Campbell....

Yes, ma'am...I'm likin' you better and better...

My favorite...in fact, in my top 10 favorite songs...country...

Here are John Hartford (my first crush at age 4) and Glen Campbell -

they'll always be gentle on my mind....... :)

For you Campbell fans keep an eye out on the Biography and A&E channels. Chris Isaak has a talk show there and he recently had Campbell on. I only saw a few minutes but Chris has an interesting take on asking questions.

Singleton you have excellent taste. I too love Korngold and Herrmann for film, and Lady and the Tramp, love Carol Burnett Show, love Sinatra. Love beethoven, too. I'll have to look up Tonic Sol Fa. Mainly I love the acapella groups from my alma mater--Vocal Point, Noteworthy, and Moosebutter. Once you hear acapella live, it's hard to go back.

Forgot to mention my love of celtic music, especially the chieftains.

TO CALYPSOGAL:

Might I recommend, from Sondheim's COMPANY, "Not Getting Married" and "Another Hundred People". They're all fantastic songs ("Barcelona" is stuck in my head right now), but those two first ones are the best. They still hold up as standards. Then you can hear Brian Stokes Mitchell's arrangement of "Another Hundred People" combined with "Take the A Train." So cool.

I recommend this video of "not getting married" done by the amazing Carol Burnett

*Who else would have been bold/crazy (you pick) enough to do Grieg's "In The Hall Of The Mountain King"?*

ooh! ooh! ELO! heehee! i think i have to agree with you though, i dont know anyone else in the world that would have done this song, especially like ELO did. its totally ironic that they did it in the first place, but i liked it oddly enough. it was different.

If you can find the CD of the original Broadway cast, that would be terrific. Dean Jones (of Disney family fare fame) is the star, playing Bobby, a single guy who is recognizing that he does want to love someone, but who? His friends are married, and not the best examples of committed love.

Try this, Calypso and Lonesome...

Enjoy!

h2. Being Alive.

Don't be afraid it won't be perfect. Be afraid it won't be....

I totally agree--Dean Jones rocks. How could I forget "Being Alive"? Fantastic songs.

Sondheim has such a gift for lyrics (his master Hammerstein would be proud).

I love his words to "A Little Priest"

"it's Fop

Finest in the Shop

And we have some shepherd's pie peppered

with actual shepherd on top"

so brilliant

Anybody like Mandy Patinkin?? As a singer. BTW this is "The Bride"(Carolann) of Chris, Movieman 1957!

> {quote:title=Cacie wrote:}{quote}

> Anybody like Mandy Patinkin?? As a singer. BTW this is "The Bride"(Carolann) of Chris, Movieman 1957!

Hi Cacie! The only time I can remember hearing Mandy Patinkin sing, I think was in the Broadway version of "Evita". I think that was him, wasn't it? The part was sung by Antonio Banderas in the movie version, if I remember correctly.

I think he sang beautifully.

I think anybody who loves the show *Mad Men* would also like the musical *Company*...

It's so campy - but _a sweet campy_..

Whadda like? You like coming home to a kiss?

Somebody with a smile at the door?

Whadda like? You like indescribable bliss?

Then, whadda wanna get married for?