Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Well, April, you actually know two of my favorite classical pieces, more than likely, as they are the opening/closing credits music of two films you have likely seen.

*Brief Encounter (1945)* - Opening credits are the 1st movement of Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto #2, Closing credits are the 3rd movement of the same concerto.

*The Great Lie (1941)* - Opening credits are Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1

Also, I believe that I remember Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture being credits music for a classic film I saw, but I can't remember which one. All I remember is that I was watching a film one day, and heard it and thought "Cool! The Hebrides!" Maybe Chris will know... Now it's gonna make me crazy until I remember. :D

Oh...and if you have ever seen *Platoon*, you have heard Barber's Adagio For Strings. It's the music that's playing as Willem DaFoe's character is getting shot to bits by the North Vietnamese/Viet Cong when they leave him. :(

And of course, if you have ever seen *Amadeus*, you have definitely heard parts of both Mozart's Requiem and Don Giovanni. :)

So there you go...most of my faves are in movie scores, as it turns out!

But yeah...I'm a classical music fan. Season tickets to the Atlanta Symphony and everything.

I can't remember if I have ever chatted with Chris about classical. I know we have emailed extensively about Dan Fogelberg, who we both love (and who passed away about 18 months ago)...but I don't remember if we ever talked classical.....

Oh I can't listen to that one without thinking of Brief Encounter! I could weep right now....

MissG- I will see if she likes Gentlemen Prefer Blondes... there are only a handful of classic movies that she likes right now...she is being very grown up and going her own way , but I bet she will enjoy it. If it's got a blonde and some good clothes, she'll get into it. Thanks for the tip. :)

>I can't remember if I have ever chatted with Chris about classical. I know we have emailed extensively about Dan Fogelberg, who we both love (and who passed away about 18 months ago)...but I don't remember if we ever talked classical.....

I think only Fogelberg. I like your list of classical works from your other post.

My favorites include -

Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony.

Brahms' 1st Piano Concerto.

Mendelssohn's Octet.

Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" Sonata. (I have more Beethoven than anything. Many complete sets.)

Sibelius' 2nd Symphony.

Dvorak's 7th.

Elgar's Cello Concerto.

Copland's "Appalachian Spring."

I have about 600 works in a collection. I tend to collect as much as I can by a composer. Mostly I have the major orchestral and chamber pieces by my favorites. We can talk classical anytime.

(Funny, As I write this Dan is singing "The Reach.")

Thanks April for letting me know.

Loaned my Demi Lovato - Don't Forget CD to a girl at work recently.

Her sons heard it and asked, "Mom, where did you get that"??

The last song on the deluxe edition is "Lo Que Soy" (This Is Me),

and her one boy was so excited - "Wait 'til I tell my friends at school -

she sings in Spanish, too"!

Youth's enthusiasm! : )

Demi has that in abundance and if I may quote one Amazon reviewer,

"With her extremely mature debut album, Demi Lovato has exemplified that talent runs in all ages".

Singing is just one her many strong suits and she sounds as at home doing it in Spanish as she does in English!

Haven't been into real much Spanish music over the years but I

did see Gloria Estefan in concert back when she was at the

height of her popularity. Another very charismatic performer!

A big fan of India back in the early 90's I thought she might become the Latin "Madonna".

Her now somewhat rare solo album, Breaking Night, features

songs produced by Jellybean Benitez and Little Louie Vega.

"Dancing On The Fire", "The Lover Who Rocks You All Night" and "Right From The Start" were some of the songs receiving radio play.

Some sweet music but her last English project. : (

Well, she never did become the "Latin Madonna" but she's now considered the "Queen of Salsa" south of the border!

A more recent recommendation I can make is Belinda's 2006 crossover album, Utopia, which also includes a couple songs in English.

Another seasoned young performer, the now 20 year-old Belinda Peregrin starred in her first Mexican TV series at age 10, debuted her first album at age 14 to runaway popularity and continues a strong acting career.

Cheetah Girls 2 is her only American film to date, btw.

...Recorded in Los Angeles, Utopia contains 13 pop songs produced and composed by some of the best of their kind in the industry; including Kara DioGuardi (Kelly Clarkson and Gwen Stefani), Jimmy Harry (Kylie Minogue and Britney Spears), Doc McKeeny (RES), Greg Kursten (Lily Allen and Pink), Lester M?ndez (Santana and Shakira), and Greg Wells (Celine Dion and Elton John).

http://www.popgeneration.com/zone/popgen/team.php?team_id=215

Great music speaks in any language!

Glad you posted! I was hoping that you would! :)

Your list is quite interesting. I probably should have included Brahms on my original list of favorites, and Schubert too, for that matter. Thought about going back to add Schubert, but was too lazy to do so, in the end.

I have quite a few recordings as well. I would say Mozart is the most often-seen composer in my collection...although I have alot of Rachmaninov (including many different performers interpretations of the 2nd and 3rd piano concerto and Rhapsody on a Theme from Paganini - I tend to do that with many of my favorite compositions), Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Chopin, Dvorak, etc. And I try to grab at least a few of the works from pretty much all of the major classical composers for my iPod as I have the opportunity and cash.

For example, I have tons of alternative interpretations of Mozart's Requiem. Or the Beethoven symphonies - Von Karajan, Klemperer, Osmo Vanska and the Minnesota Orchestra...you name it. But my favorite single CD in all of classical music is Carlos Kleiber and the Vienna Philharmonic's Beethoven's 5th and 7th. IMO, this is an absolutely FLAWLESS recording. I mean, by the time I heard this recording, I'd only heard the 5th about a gazillion times in my life (in addition to enduring that ghastly rock rendition that was around when we were kids), and it had kinda ceased doing anything new for me on repeat listenings. But when I heard THIS recording, my heart practically stopped. If I had to pick one recording to take to a desert island, this would be it. Even though Beethoven is only about 4th on my list overall of favorite composers. Needless to say, I have pretty much all the available recordings of Kleiber/**** Philharmoniker - too bad they didn't put out that many. I'd buy them all. :D

I guess that's why I like collecting alternative interpretations though. Makes it much more interesting, IMO.

Ermm...and sorry to hear about so many deaths of people you know lately. How terrible. Hope you are okay.....

But we can talk about music later. No need to respond to me now if you don't feel up to it. I'll just watch this thread when I pop in here....or we can email.

Still miss Dan though. :( Listen to him alot and can't stop missing him.

I think I mentioned that with some composers I like to be a completist. Beethoven, by far makes up the largest group of works. In addition to his major orchestral works I have all his string quartets, trios and probably 25 of his 32 piano sonatas.

I also like Rachmaninoff. I have all four piano concertos and his symphonies but I am especially fond of the Paganini Rhapsody. It is quite exciting. Rachmaninoff, Copland and Vaughan Williams are the only 20th century composers I have any number of works of in my group.

Unlike you I don't collect too many versions of the same work. I have two sets of Beethoven symphones, George Szell and Karl Bohm. I read once that a reviewer for the Baltimore Sun had over 30 versions of Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto. I have two. I do have a recording of the 4th Piano Concerto.

It seems we fancy the same composers. I have several chamber works of Schubert that I enjoy. I have the late symphonies and piano concertos and some chamber works of Mozart but not a huge group.

Thanks for the kind thoughts of my friends. One was my music pastor and Sunday was very difficult but I was happy I could play for his memorial service. He was a great man.

I miss Dan too. I still marvel at how broad his talent was and the many different genres of music he could write in. He was a great lyricist too. I think "Beggar's Game" is wonderful poetry as well as a first rate song. "Scarecrow's Dream" too.

Message was edited by: movieman1957

Just listening to a little Rimsky-Korsakov earlier...

"Flight of the Bumblebee", performed by Al Hirt; a local TV station had a Green Hornet marathon today. : )

I didn't want to make a duplicate post, so I thought I'd utilize this thread.

My favorite type of music is no doubt film music. There's such a wide variety of styles, composers, films, genres, etc. It's like its own master class of music.

My favorite composers of film scores are John Williams, Bernard Herrmann, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, Alberto Iglesias, Jerry Goldsmith, Maurice Jarre, and many more. My favorite scores are "E.T. - The ExtraTerrestrial", "The Adventures of Robin Hood", "Obsession", "Vertigo", "Alien", "Hable con ella", "The Sea Hawk", "Psycho", "Artificial Intelligence", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", etc. etc. I could probably spend days talking about this subject!

Until cinemafan posted this yesterday, I had almost forgotten it. It is a beautiful song. It is a wonderful movie. It is the last movie I bought in VHS. Everything else is DVD on the shelf, and now my favorites are on my TiVo or my hard drive..

Things change and we must change to them, but feelings we have in our hearts we control. Choose to love, and banish your fear.

Make it a great day, Everybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yJnvv_R2rk

*Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony.*

*Brahms' 1st Piano Concerto.*

*Mendelssohn's Octet.*

*Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" Sonata. (I have more Beethoven than anything. Many complete sets.)*

*Sibelius' 2nd Symphony.*

*Dvorak's 7th.*

*Elgar's Cello Concerto.*

*Copland's "Appalachian Spring."*

Hi *Movieman*, I was just scanning some recent posts on this thread and enjoying your conversation with *Pktrekgirl* that you two had in July. I was MIA from the boards during that period so I didn't see it. I like the list you posted. I'm familiar with just about all on your list, though a few with maybe only a movement or two. For instance, I am more familiar with the first movement of the Hammerklavier and less so with the other movements, and with the famous scherzo from Mendelssohn's Octet more than the other movements. My attraction to the Elgar is fairly recent, absolutely beautiful first movement.

I have always enjoyed trying to identify classical music sequences that pop up in movies. I watched Anna Karenina recently, the 1948 version with Vivien Leigh. During one of the opera box scenes the music started playing. It was Glinka's Ruslan and Ludmila. Nowadays IMDB can be consulted and they will identify a lot of music. It takes the fun out of it, but only a little. It's doubly fun to identify a piece of music and then find out that it is not on imdb.

I don't have that large of a collection. I borrow CDS and put them on the iPod. I listen to the Classical Music Channel on cable, I have that going a lot. At the moment, Schumann's Piano Concerto with Van Cliburn is playing.

It's nice to know there are some of us around here who not only like classical music but are somewhat passionate about it.

laffite

I love Schumann's Piano Concerto. I also have a cassette tape of his Violin Concerto and another of his Cello Concerto. He did some fine chamber music as well. He caught a lot of flack for his compositional style and maybe he wasn't the most structured composer but I'm not smart enough to tell. I just enjoy it.

I think the whole back story with the Schumanns and Brahms is really fascinating.

>I think the whole back story with the Schumanns and Brahms is really fascinating.

Did you see the movie? Hans Conried was a good Schumann and having to portray a man who mentally declines. It's been awhile but I remember that he did well with that. Brahms is so often depicted as the old guy with the long beard and cane but as a young man he was quite handsome. Robert Walker was well cast as Brahms. He loved Clara but even after Robert's death, she rejected him although they remained friends...or so I believe. I don't the story either, really. Kate was fine as I remember. They have remarkable ways in movies to convincingly show actors playing the piano. Sometimes the actors will take a few lessons. Kate looks good at the keyboard.

>He did some fine chamber music as well.

The Piano Quintet is one of most famous. The opening measures are so captivating...and famous.

It has been a long time since I have seen it too but I remember that Kate took great pains to look good at the piano.

If you ever need a good Brahms biography there is one by Karl Geiringer that I have and have enjoyed.

Clara did remain friends with Brahms well into late life. 40 years according to my book. They seemed to have one difference of opinion over one of Robert's symphonies and publishing a later revised edition of the work. Brahms pressed gently for a reconciliation and it was finally worked out.

Thank you, *casablancalover* ! You never know what you're going to get with the Brandenburgs. They are variously performed with different tempos and emphases. Sometimes they are fast and slurry and other times slow and precise, sometimes in between. The was in the slow and precise mode and very satisfying.

Did you catch The L-Shaped Room recently shown on TCM for SOTM Leslie Caron. Brahms First Piano Concerto was used extensively as a sort of love theme. It was even listed in the opening credits. I have listened to that wonderful piece many times in my life and it feels good when you encounter great familiar music in movies, especially when used well.

*Movieman* I know that particular Brahms is a favorite of yours too. It was on your list, I believe.

laffite

Brahms is soooo romantic, I hesitate to use it in such a public setting. I hope you understand. Maybe it's me, but Beethoven is filled with Out There emotion, and Brahms touches me to the point of tears at times. I know someone once said Brahms 3rd was like Beethoven's 10th, and I believe it true. I feel Brahms could be more intimate, passionate.

Have you seen Letter to Three Wives? That one features Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto. It is also wonderful..

Let's settle down.

Here's Sinatra:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTxma3wyrjU

Edited by: casablancalover on Oct 24, 2009 5:22 PM

>I hesitate to use it in such a public setting. I hope you understand.

That's interesting. The music is personal and you want to keep it that way. Something like that? Seriously, I think that very interesting...and admirable. Thanks for mentioning that other movie with the Brahms.

>I feel Brahms could be more intimate, passionate.

...than Beethoven, you mean. I agree. Brahms was much more the Romantic era composer and it showed. Beethoven is often considered Romantic but that's a stretch IMO. He opened the door to Romanticism, I believe, but was much closer to Classicism.

>I know someone once said Brahms 3rd was like Beethoven's 10th, and I believe it true

No biggie, but for the record, it was Brahms First. Brahms is famous for a quote, something like "following the tramp of a giant" referring to Beethoven. Some go so far as to cite this as a reason Brahms waited so long composing a symphony---he was almost 50---but whether or not he was actually intimidated by Beethoven or not, who knows...but I rather doubt it. Brahms also has a passage in the finale of the First that resembles the Ode to Joy theme in the finale of Beethoven's Ninth so there might be a connection there as to why the label "Beethoven Tenth."

Sorry, don't mean to talk this to death. BTW, I like Frankie too, thanks for the link. :)