Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

>Sorry, don't mean to talk this to death.

You're not.

I think one of Brahms' most lovely themes is the third movement of the 2nd Piano Concerto. The cello is just lovely. (Though for me the most lyrical anything is Tchaikovsky's last movement of the 6th Symphony.)

I have heard some people refer to Brahms First Piano Concerto as his first symphony with piano. It is big enough in scope but the piano adds so much. I think I read the 1st Serenade Op. 11 was also an early attempt to write a symphony but quickly abandoned in favor of its current form.

I agree with you about Beethoven's classification.

Saturday I am to see the Baltimore Symphony perform "Scheherazade."

Lafitte-

I stand corrected. You are right, it was Brahms 1st Symphony. I don't know how I could've guessed the 3rd. Thanks you for your graciousness in correcting me.

Wandering on Youtube, I found something so totally unrelated, but something that stirred such fond memories for me. It is kid's show from my childhood, and if there is any questions, I will try to explain the Minnesota milieu:

For All Saint's Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEunONfXGHI&feature=PlayList&p=E42547220CB8CCF6&index=7

Check out Jake's thread of Favorites too; he is featuring Elvis on Sunday, and the selections are wonderful.

To my latino neighbors, enjoy your Day of the Dead. I will try to get to festivities there before I go to work. Sadly, I work on Sundays now.

Laffite:

Since Sibelius came up I thought I would bring it here. Do you know his 1st Symphony? I haven't heard in awhile but I remember it unlike his later ones. I did not really enjoy it that much.

I have his Violin Concerto and I think an old chamber piece and most of his symphonies.

I heard somewhere that as he aged he wrote less music. People questioned him about it, like writer's block, but from what I heard it didn't bother him much. (Did we talk about this in reference to Vaughan Williams?)

I am glad several of you are enjoying the clips. I want to try and take familiar names or pieces and show a different part. Maybe hit birthdays along the way. I don't want to get in the way of everything else so I hope I can get one on everyday other day or so.

Hi Chris (may I call you that, I think I used you long, long, ago)

My impression is that Sibelius just simply stopped writing music at a certain age, by choice. I don't think he was blocked. He lived to be about 90 and did not compose the last 30 years of life, if memory serves.

His best known work of all is the Violin Concerto, I'm sure. It's a masterpiece, no question, one of the most oft performed violin concertos of all. I hold it in the same category as the best of them, Beethoven, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Bruch, etc., I think it's _that_ good!

His Finlandia a short work is immensely popular though I'm not too crazy about myself. The Swan of Tuonela, another short piece, is hauntingly beautiful. There are parts of the Karelia Suite that are quite nice, very happy music, almost exhilarating in some places.

The First Symphony is nice too, I've listened a few times but am only famiiar with bits and pieces. I read that Sibelius strove for something different with each symphony. He wanted to vary the styles. The Third Symphony, for example, is a single movement, I believe, and does not sound like is other works.

I'm glad you are showcasing these links to various music.

That Sibelius V was great this morning. I'm not such a critic that I can always tell the difference but I thought that particular rendition rather good.

Lovely laffite, once you get past the intro, it is a wonderful piece.

_A minor tangent._ I was put to remember a wonderful memory of walking in Caius College in Cambridge and thinking of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEQDO19JR2I&feature=related

I love this movie. Loved England and the history of it. Funny; I originally wanted to see the movie for I am a big fan of Dennis Christopher, who had a relatively minor (but notable) role. But the story and the characters swept me away.

_Back to the season._ *Bach's Christmas Oratorio* (otherwise called here as Lutheran High-Church' music):

And tying it all together, and thank you whoever out there for the mention of what brought up for me incredible Cambridge England. the Choir at King's College. Christmas eve. Once in Royal David's City:

the Choir's sound is so beautiful, it makes me weep...

I will spend one Christmas Eve in Cambridge! A promise to myself...

h4. Merry Christmas laffite!

Merry Christmas to you as well, *Casablancelover.*..and to *all*.

That last batch you posted, a nice group of selections. :)

laffite

Winter Solstice yesterday.

Now the earth will rise from it's darkened slumber. From the _Christmas Revels_,

*Sussex Mummer's Carol* :

*Masters In This Hall* :

*Abbots Bromley Horn Dance*:

Not the best video/sound, but the most accurate version of the English/Welsh/Manx dance for Winter Solstice.

h4. May the Sacred, the mystical, and the magical, combine to this Blessed time of year!

Edited by: Singleton on Dec 22, 2009 9:50 AM

Did Gilbert or Sullivan (I've forgotten which one did the lyrics) have a way with words or not...who was it? Johnny Mercer took inspiration from him. All those math references, priceless!

Did you notice K. Kline and L. Ronstadt at the beginning of the thing?