Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

h4. The Official Microsoft pc repair protocol:

1. Get up....

2. Sit down....

3. Shut down Vista...

4. Get up...

5. Walk around office chair two times, full circle.

6. Touch door knob on far side of room to mitigate excess static.

7. Sit down.

8. Restart Vista....

9. Softly kiss touch pad or mouse.

10. Wait patiently.

:)

You may safely copy and paste for your own use....

Thank you for helping out MM. This is not my thread, but we all let our voices be heard. Your selections remind me that there is so much great music in the world.

Something this morning on a theme.

*Taking it to the Streets*. Great song..

Doobie Brothers:

Another turn by Tonic Solfa, (this time w/Taiko drum support):

I'm a big fan of Michael McDonald too. Feb 12 birthday.. so near my own. He will get his own day-- He and Lincoln. February's gonna be busy...

The music from Babette's Feast is a duet from Don Giovanni "La Ci Darem La Mano" (Give me your hand), very sweet and innocuous sounding but actually the Don is being duplicitous as he prepares to seduce sweet Zerlina, another conquest. They are singing in French though it is normally performed in the original Italian.

Earlier as the M. Papin approaches the hut, he sings something under his breath, also from Don Govanni, an aria that the Don sings whereby he revels in and tells us all just what a scoundrel he is. In the actual opera it does not sound so soft, rather it is sung with a fury equal to the extent of his wickedness.

Amazing Lafitte to read this, for I know the story plot, and it is so lyrical, so poetic, and so redemptive, this aria now seems wrong...but it is still one of the most beautiful pieces of music in film.

This, and Kiri's aria in A Room With a View. Thank you for your insight.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> How about Dan Fogelberg and Tim Weisberg - "Tell Me To My Face."

>

>

>

> And something slower from the same album, "Since You Asked."

>

>

>

> (Neither written by Dan.)

Those are so beautiful, and ring of truth. Lives committed to one another. Face to face; experience by experience. They are on top of thread for more to enjoy.. Thank you.

>Amazing Lafitte to read this, for I know the story plot, and it is so lyrical, so poetic, and so redemptive, this aria now seems wrong...but it is still one of the most beautiful pieces of music in film.

I haven't seen Babette's Feast in years and don't remember much...but I'm guessing that the meaning of the aria is of less importance than the sheer beauty of it. That duet is very well known and one of the most beloved in all of opera and probably very oft used in music lessons as well, so I'm guessing that the appropriateness in the sense you speak of may not be significant. When one suddenly hears this music the first thing to mind is not how wicked the Don is but how beautiful the music is. Regardless of motive, the sheer sweetness of these two singing together is what captivates. That's opera, the music is the thing. That's what M. Papin is conveying. When he chose this music, it was because it was famous and beautiful, the meaning of it totally secondary. So please don't let the meaning ruin anything for you. This music is totally appropriate with this movie. In opera, c'est la musique...la musique, c'est tout. That's what M. Papin would say.

Actually, seeing the scene again something comes at me from left field. There is a shot of the sister and the father listening in the next room, both looking rather strained. Maybe the meaning isn't lost on them...

Wasn't the singing beautiful, by the way. Papin was wonderful, to me.

>Actually, seeing the scene again something comes at me from left field. There is a shot of the sister and the father listening in the next room, both looking rather strained. Maybe the meaning isn't lost on them...Wasn't the singing beautiful, by the way. Papin was wonderful, to me.

I just watched the whole sequence. I don't remember the movie well enough and therefore don't want to contradict you...but I wonder if they were reacting to the singing itself and the fact that it had to do with romantic love in general, something that is at least suspect given their strict religious beliefs...and having not so much to do with the actual situation in the opera? (i.e., the duplicity) Of course they may have had their suspicions of M Papin himself. I'm surprised that he would kiss her like that at the conclusion of the aria, and that she didn't flinch, given her upbringing (Is that why, in part at least, she wanted to quit the lessons?). Yes, the music is beautiful and the entire music sequence was just great. I like the way he left the piano and they continued a capella (with Papin filling in some of the orchestral parts himself.) They actually sang a good portion of the duet, practically all. And I agree, M. Papin was totally winning.

Here is the duet in concert but in costume. Thomas Allen and Lucia Popp. There is about a minute of recitivo and we can easily see how he is hitting on her. She is attracted but not sure at first. When she finally sings "andiam" with him, she is lost.

//