Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Adam Lopez has an eight octave vocal range and I believe he as yet holds the record for the highest note ever sung by a man.

I hadn't heard that one before, though I admit back when Roy was producing those songs, I was deep into Simon and Garfunkel, and before that, Gene Pitney and of all things, the Kingston Trio..

Bob Shane, doing a solo with Scotch and Soda:

Hard to believe, but it was the KIngston Trio that first did "It Was a Very Good Year", which became identified with Sinatra.

Nice!

Here's an earlier version of a song associted with the Kingston Trio, "Tom Dooley" as recorded by Grayson & Whitter in 1929:

Good morning, Finance and Scottman!

The Trio were very good, and they did some excellent research for their songs. They were such excellent singers and harmonized so well (I believed they influenced the Beach Boys and others) and brought a real variety to the albums. Scotch and Soda was one of my favorites -its a song where the title really isn't the subject.

*It Was a Very Good Year* is done in an arrangement I prefer over Sinatra, although when Bob Shane sang it, he was still in his twenties. Sadly I can't seem to find a recording.

The Frankie and Johnny legend with some great pickin'...

You're Gonna Miss Me:

They did some wonderful versions of both Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie work..

Where Have All the Flowers Gone:

(1965):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMp5YBW-nJ4

They did wonderful take on fatherhood and watching the speed of life for young fathers and their daughters.. And that song later showed up in a commercial for Bell Telephone, trying to get daughters and dads to call each other, apparently!

Turn Around:

Speckled Roan:

The Last Thing on My Mind:

There are so many more, maybe some of the spirituals later...

One more, A Worried Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz7WZNjTPRA

I'll have to pass this one to the guys I play this song with since it makes it very clear when Paul sings and when he doesn't. Notice what when Paul joins in he sings the second half of the first line and than the first half of the next line (i.e. in the middle).

I sing the John part and the other guy the Paul part but he keeps singing the entire verse! Then he tried to claim that is how they did it. NOT.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:

> }{quote}...some ABBA to cheer me up..

>

>

>

>

Here's one of my favorite ABBA songs:

It's a bit different from their usual sound.

It was a bit of a rarity for many years, being released only as a B-side of a 45 in 1977, although recorded in 1975. It finally came out in a CD compilation in about 1997.

My favorite pop song of the '60s sung by the Shirelles, the greatest girl group of all time: