Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Music?

Here's a favorite from my very early childhood. This song and its unique sound comes back to me often. One of the singers, Sylvia Robinson, died a few months ago.

Hey, guys ! - Here's some useless trivia you may already know. Two of the guys in the Turtles, "Flo" and "Eddy", I think their names were, later joined Frank Zappa's band. Which was much different from the Turtles.

Last evening I attended a musical tribute to Miles Davis. It was quite good, and fun besides (the two aren't always necessarily the same thing.) So, in view of that, and also with a respectful nod to the lovely casablancalover and the possiblity of a new male friend to share thoughts about movies and music with ( and politics ! ), here's Miles' version of Some Day My Prince Will Come:

Thank You for the Miles Davis, misswonderly.

Jazz is wonderful in a quiet club setting, where the tune becomes so fascinating it stops the conversation. Miles Davis has that gift.

I love how YouTube works sometimes. It connecting songs can bring such lovely discoveries, just look to the right side stream.

So, looking for the musical response to misswonderly, I found one of my favorite R&B/Blues/Gospel groups in Minnesota, The Sounds of Blackness. This is a recording in the Mall of America, which is incredible for the videographer achieved such control for the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gerryfranc?feature=watch#p/u/23/FN_ErikW6E8

What can I say? Pure gold.

*O.V. Wright - Let Straighten It Out*

Great song by the vastly underrated Mr. Womack.

*Bobby Womack - I'm Through Trying To Prove My Love To You*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCaS4HdkK3o

Epic twenty-minute version of a great Jimmy Webb song.

*Isaac Hayes - By The Time I Get To Phoenix*

So many fabulous versions of this song by the lovely Joan on YouTube. Chose this one because the sax solo is stronger

*Joan Armatrading - Love And Affection*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU8xa8htnw4

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Speaking of jazz, the Hollywood Bowl schedule arrived at my house yesterday and I'm pretty excited that Diana Krall is coming back. Plus I'll get to hear Norah Jones and the Duke Ellington Orchestra. There will be lots of other good stuff this summer. Oh the joy.

while I am not the biggest fan of Krall (to each her own), Duke Ellington would be great under the stars. Love the Bowl.

Have you seen the offerings for *Hollywood Sound* series list yet? Will there be one?-- I hope so. That is the other big thrill for me; hearing orchestral soundtracks played at the Bowl.

If Patrick Doyle's work is on the list, I am packing my bag.

This year at the Bowl the "Big Picture" night as they call it is a tribute to Paramount Pictures, so there's a wide array of music. Then there's another night of movie music called "Pixar in Concert". I'm pretty excited about that one, having grown up with that music. I wish the Riders in the Sky would come to that and sing "Woody's Roundup." I love those guys.

I love Patrick Doyle too, I must say.

The Knack:

better version but w/o bad words on screen

Edited by: casablancalover on Feb 1, 2012 3:05 PM

Edited by: casablancalover on Feb 1, 2012 3:08 PM

I am still trying to get the link that can open in _a new tab_... Every girl needs a fresh challenge.

[the Association|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggmDahZ_PzE|Tip]

h5. in the meantime, just _right_ click..

Edited by: casablancalover on Feb 8, 2012 11:37 AM