Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When will TCM broadcast in high definition?

oldtexan

Please broadcast TCM in high definition. And please do it in the original aspect ratio for each particular film, not in the "stretched" way that some high def channels show their programs. I probably spend as much time watching TCM as all other channels combined, and have for years. My wife and I purchased a 50" high def TV a couple of months ago, and it has shown me what a shame it is that TCM isn't broadcast in high def. As I write this, Ben Hur has just begun; how spectacular that would be in high def!!!

I, too, enjoy watching some programming in HD. But TCM often programs my favorites, early talkies through the film noir era, at inconvenient hours. For that reason most of my TCM viewing is time-shifted to DVD by DVD recorders. (Since copying to DVD selected portions of my home-recorded videotape archive I have begun watching, for the first time, some movies originally shown on the Nostalgia Channel in the 1980s and AMC in the 1990s.)

Digital and HD technology provides a better viewing experience but limits the ability to record through more sophisticated copyright encoding, the so-called broadcast "flag." Such encoding may originate from movie/program producers, programming services (HBO, Showtime, etc.) cable and satellite providers (Comcast, Dish, etc.) and even local broadcast stations.

With the coming of digital tuning and HD technology there are today fewer DVD and hard drive recorders being offered in the US consumer marketplace than just a year ago. In a few years DVD recorders that may record from antennas, cable, and satellite may vanish from the marketplace.

Digital and HD transmission and tuning technology flags are very effective at preventing or restricting the recording of copyrighted material. There is no requirement that copyright holders must allow recording of their product. Some copyrighted programming content allows for "fair use" i.e., one recording on hard drive recorders provided by cable and satellite services. These recorders can not produce a DVD recording.

There is lively and sometimes heated discussion of such matters on technical forums.

General consumer product manufacturers are moving away from producing products mired in a quagmire of copyright issues; and where consumers will complain that such products are defective as they may no longer record some copyrighted material to DVD.

Message was edited by: talkietime

Thanks for the info talkietime. I haven't been in much of a hurry to get into HD.

I just don't see a lot the old movies being remastered to HD yet.

dianabat posted some interesting info on the "What DVD...? thread in Hot Topics:

Can't Find a DVD? HP Will Make It

Hewlett-Packard has signed a deal with Sony Pictures to turn out DVDs from the studio's library whenever customers request them, the Los Angeles Times reported today (Thursday). The deal will allow consumers to order movies that ordinarily would not be stocked by dealers because they are too obscure or too old. HP indicated that it expects to sign similar deals with other studios. "We're hoping this provides another option to make available products that wouldn't necessarily garner widespread retail shelf space," Jason Spivak, head of strategic development at Sony Home Entertainment, told the Times.Added Doug Warner, head of HP's digital content business, "If studios can sell more catalog than previously, they can generate more money."

- http://imdb.com/news/sb/#film1

If you go back through my post you find that I have mention I have a dvd recorder, It works pretty much like a vcr, only it dose a few things like letting you put titles on disc menus ect. They only down side is that the only inputs on it are analog, rca, and s-video, there is no digital input to pipe a direct digital signal to the recorder, such as a HDMI input, this is why: Everyone is talking about is DRM or Digital Rights Management, which is essentially what Talktime is talking abut with the flagging is shows, by the copyright holder, be it, the studio, distribution company whoever, say they have to put the flags on hd material, I fear it may even be coming to analog to very soon.. The idea is not to let anyone record material, they don't want you to, The problem is a digital recording is as good as the original material, Whereas in the old analog the copies were never quite as good as the originals and if you made copies from the copies each generation would be worst then the one before it. In the Brave New Digital World all this is gone every copy is as good as the original, and they can be play on any number of mediums from dvd, to ipods and other portable players, thus taking more control out of the copywrite holders hands...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings