Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The First Movie You Ever Saw-Try to Remember

Moviebuffer12

I'm fairly confident that it was Mary Poppins in the movie theatre. On tv, probably The Wizard of Oz. I remember seeing Yellow Submarine, The Gnomemobile ( which for some reason I loved), and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with my mother, who must have had a real love of movies to sit through those three. The first movie to affect me greatly was Oliver!

I also remember staying up late on New Year's Eve to watch The Thief of Baghdad with Sabu. The big spider came on the screen and I got scared and threw up. Probably not the memorable experience it should have been.....

Sorry to butt in here twice. I just remembered a very early memory of watching TV. Claudette Colbert was running across a lawn, she was wearing a wedding gown.... I must have been about 4 years old. Flash forward to me at age 25. I had waited and waited for years to see "It Happened One Night" (VHS tapes had just come out), and I sat down excitedly to watch it. Slowly it dawned on me that I already had. It was a very bizarre experience, like deja vu.

I was maybe 5 or 6 years old and my neighbor/babysitter took me to the movies at the Circle Theater in Manchester. All I could remember about this movie for decades, was stormy weather and in one scene, a guy made a high dive into the water off the yardarm of a sailing ship.

I often wondered what movie that was. About 50 years later, I was watching The Hurricane from 1937 with Jon Hall and Dorothy Lamour on a rental video tape. When Jon Hall's character dove off the yardarm of the sailing ship, I yelled to my wife, "That's it! That's the 1st movie I ever saw! Now I know the name of it!" Mystery solved.

When I saw it in the mid 1940s, it had to be a re-release.

The first that I can vividly remember is Earth vs. the Flying Saucers. Had nightmares for years afterwards. I'm sure it was part of a double-feature, but I have zero recollection of what the other movie might have been.

I had a crush on Jack Wild too. My mother helped me write to him but I never got a reply. But I still have a hand-written letter that Mark Lester (the boy who played Oliver) wrote me, he was so nice. He asked me to write him back but I never did. I still feel a little guilty that he took the time to write and I never responded.

The first one I remember seeing in a theater was "Tom Sawyer" 1973...so I would have been 9 years old...on TV it was "The Court Jester" with Danny Kaye....my all time favorite comedy, don't remember how old I was but I do remember staying up late at my grandmas house watching it and laughing so hard I cried.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings