Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Moviebuffer12

The First Movie You Ever Saw-Try to Remember

My mother was an usherette (anyone recall what those were?) in the local movie theater.

She was a single mom raising four kids on her own. The owner was a nice family man and let her bring us in while she worked.

I remember having to sit through the same movie four or five times in one day...... boring. But were it not for those times, I don't think I'd appreciate the classics like I do.

But the movie I remember was a movie with Lee Marvin as a bad guy. He was on a street corner and dropped his lim balm (I think) or a nose vapor inhaler (remember those?).

Anyway, it began to roll down the sidewalk and a little kid went to pick it up for him and he stepped on the kids hand!!!

I thought he was so mean and a jerk. It took years before I came to enjoy him in any movie.

Does anyone remember what that movie was?

Marylovesclassics

My first that I can remember is.

The Shaggy Dog, I loved it.

The first movie I had seen on my own was

Hud.That's when I fell in Love with Paul Newman.

Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?

Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!

Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?

Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.

Hawkins: A flagon...?

Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.

Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.

Griselda: Right.

Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?

Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

Griselda: Just remember that.

First in a theater: "The Facts Of Life" with Bob Hope and Lucille Ball (I was five years old or so, and was taken by my older sister).

the summer of being 3, i learned to work the vcr, and i sat in the basement in my tweety bird bathing suit sitting in a plastic laundry basket (couldn't tell you why) watching rudolph the red nosed reindeer with burl ives over and over and over. my parents still make fun of me for it :P

Probably "Wizard" and a whole slew of Disney films (60's.....I remember when "Dorothy" died and my parents kind of chuckling that Dorothy was old....HAH!...they in their 20's).

I also remember Mom dropping me and my sister off at the movie to go shopping. Some of the gems I saw but did not understand were "2001", and "Sleeper, Bananas, and Take The Money and Run" as an all day matinee!

But the first "adult?" movie's I saw and understood at the theater were with Dad. "The Man Who Would Be King" comes to mind. Maybe even "Chinatown". Once we moved out to the island, "Drive-ins" became "part of the program", too. Saw a lot of stuff at drive-ins.....early 70's.

whoa! jakeholman! lucky you, Jason and the argonauts is one of my favorite Harryhausen flicks. I'd love to see that in the theater, great first movie. On that note, at age 5 on TV i saw one million years B.C so I guess we both started with one of ray's flicks. My first movie in the theater at age 6 was beauty and the beast, back before Disney Films started to fall off.

King writes: "Jason and the argonauts is one of my favorite Harryhausen flicks."

It's in my top 25 period.

I love it...

Talos was magnificent...

And what man would not like to be marooned with Medea, eh?

Have a good one, King...

The first movie I remember watching was THE WIZARD OF OZ. The local TV station used to play it every Easter. We had extended family get-togethers on that day. The adults would sit around the dining room table enjoying conversation and the kids would end up in the living room watching the movie. Being the youngest of the kids, my cousins would try to scare me about the wicked witch. And they were successful.

Bambi at the drive in was the first movie that i ever saw. To this day I am afraid of fire destroying my stuff and my life. Though as years go on I am definitely getting better but it has been a bad fear in the past. All because of that awful scene of the fire that kills Bambi's family. :(

KING OF KINGS 1961 With my mom when i was 10 i saw it at the Warner Theatre i went into big dark theatre with curtains they opened with a big picture on this big screen, when i saw this i knew what i wanted to do when i got big.

Run Movies, Now in the day of the real theatre this was a great paying job. But i at the time would have work for free, It was so much fun. Today it nothing to what going to the movie was like the 60s and 70s. i was bless to have ran many John Wayne Elvis and james bond movies and sooooooooooo many others.But KING OF KINGS Was my first and started a love with film and theatre i still treasure today.

At the movie theater it was PINNOCHIO (first movie overall). Non animated would be 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA.

Well this is tough...as ancient as I am, I am not sure I can recall...but it was likely a Disney since we never missed The Wonderful World of Disney every week (I think it came on Sunday nights) The first one I can consciously remember seeing--from start to finish would have been The Wizard of Oz--ok maybe not totally from start to finish if you take out the parts I missed when I ran and hid from the wicked old witch. :-) Couldn't fast forward through that stuff like you can nowdays.

I was only 5 or 6 and my Aunt Ruth invited me to her house for a sleep-over. That night we watched Jayne Eyre (.B&W) It must have been the one with Lawrence Oliver (or however you spell his name) I loved the feeling it gave me when Aunt Ruth let me watch a grown-up movie. While I was growing up, with 5 brothers and sisters, my Dad worken nights. At that time NBC had a movie from 9-11 every night and then another one at 11:30 after the news. Mom always made a movie a special time for us. She would fix us a special snack, we would all gather around the TV and watch. My siblings would usually go to sleep, but not me! I'd stay up till the late show went off. Maybe that happy memory is why I love movies so much. We sure did watch a lot of good ones.

I was a grown woman with a son of my own before I got to see all of the Wizard of Oz. My dad always thought it was stupid and wouldn't let me watch it. I did see the part with the flying monkeys when I was little, and thay scared me for weeks!

I was five years old when my mother let me go see "Yellow Submarine" with my older brother and sister. To my mother, the Beatles were still the lovable moptops she had seen several years before on Ed Sullivan; and it was a cartoon, how bad could it be? My father was furious at my mother when he found out - he thought I was going to be transformed into a drug-crazed hippie.

Two years later, (I was six or seven) she thought "Beneath the Planet of the Apes" was a cartoon (you know, like "Magilla Gorilla"!) and she let my older brother take me to it. Waaaaaay too intense for a little kid (part of the problem was I think it was actually rated G so my Mom thought it was OK; a lot of films rated PG today would have been rated G in 1970). But that's nothing: a girl in high school told me that _her_ mother attempted to take her (then age 8) and her sister (then age 10) to see "Fritz the Cat" because she thought it was a cartoon movie about kittycats and her daughters liked kittycats.

Years later, my mother almost went to see "Monster", but something came up and she decided not to go. "It's some cartoon, right?" she asked. I didn't have the heart (or nerve) to tell her she was apparently confusing the cartoon "Monsters, Inc." with a movie about a serial killer. I simply told her not to go see "Monster"; she wouldn't like it.

This is such an interesting thread! I've been trying to think of some of the earliest movies I ever saw. When I was little we didn't see many movies on TV (we had only one TV channel!), but we had a local movie theatre. I vaguely recall being taken to see Babes in Toyland, and I was frightened by the trees and hid my face. That was probably in the early sixties. I don't remember much else about the movie, but I do remember another one - Blue Hawaii. I remember there was a Three Stooges short film, and then the main feature .... Elvis in Technicolor! It was awesome! We had the soundtrack album at home and played it over and over again. To this day Blue Hawaii is my favourite Elvis movie; I own the DVD and even have the soundtrack on CD.

Other movies I saw as a child were Mary Poppins, a Yogi Bear movie, and I think my mother took us all to see The Sound of Music when that came out.

The first film I ever seen was a Marx Brothers film, i was so young and i laughed at it so so much because of the things that they did and said, even my sister got into them when she was born.

I think that they were comical geniuses and theyre films are always worth watching and they make you want to watch them over and over again they are so adictive :)

http://www.thegodetroit.com/uploaded_images/marx-brothers-01-749847.jpg

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2171509/marxthinker-main_Full.jpg

Message was edited by: hayleyperrin

Debro- I loved your remembrance of the Late Show! I can't tell you how many times as a kid I stayed up and discovered some wonderful old movie. Your mom sounds wonderful. I feel sorry for kids now, that can't discover these movies by surprise..... It was always fun because (at least where I lived) there was no introduction, they just showed the movie...

I remember watching what I thought was an old chestnut called "And Now Tomorrow". I even got the book from the library.... My mother came in and I was crying (it was a tearjerker), and I told her the name of the book, and she looked stunned and said she had read it and sen the movie years and years before- it was one of her favorites.....she thought no one would ever remember it.....