Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Armored Car Robbery (1950)

Buffalo_Chuck

Armored Car Robbery's cast is outstanding. None of those guys were big stars - Charles McGraw might have achieved more than most, but youngster Gene Evans stuck around for a long time, too. Even Douglas Fowley ("Benny", who plays the wronged hubby) was a solid member of those cops and robber B-films.

I sure hope more police detectives walk out of their car into gun battles and don't stand straight up as they're heading into the gunfire. Every TIME I see this film, McGraw's partner does the same thing, no matter how often I yell at him! And how in the world does McGraw hit "Benny" in the stomach when he's hiding behind the car door AND William Talman.

I mean, I've heard about the bullet with a guy's name etched on it, but THAT bullet had to have GPS coordinates, too!

Someone up there just didn't like him!

I don't remember seeing this one. It sounds like something I'd like. Not only do I like low budget crime stories. I love heist films. CRISS-CROSS also features an armored car robbery. Outstanding movie. I like Kubrick's THE KILLING. THE GETAWAY is my favorite Peckinpah smasher. And ASPHALT JUNGLE is the leader of the pack. The recruiting of the players. The plotting. The ultimate unravelling, due to one little mishap. This is the mold for all the similar films that followed.

IMDB's reviews call this a "straightforward heist" and I agree with that. We spend a little time with the crooks and see their planning, we learn a little about who they are - mostly about the head bad guy (William Talman).

Once the heist takes place (early in the film - 10 min mark?) then we spend the rest of that day with the bad guys until the end of the film.

This tight time-frame doesn't give us much time to breath and relax - in other words, I'd suggest you bring your popcorn with you first before you get started.

• 4 weeks later...

Red, got your good news PM. This is an interesting film because, as you said, they get the heist out of the way and then we see all the characters sitting in the kettle, bubbling around as the heat increases. We get some teasers - we see a very cool wife shun her husband, then we learn why. And we learn about the boss's real identity later on. Pretty slick.

I have a feeling this is a 'throwaway' piece that didn't get a lot of consideration except from the set designers and cinematographers. Those folks worked overtime, and delivered a product that looked top-notch. The story was a tad brief, and sometimes I had the feeling they avoided wasting time on rehearsals or "one more take", and just accepted what they had on-film. "That's good enough - next scene!" and off they went. And it was "good enough" but not great.

This film collects some of my favorite perennial support characters, and I'll watch it just for those guys.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

What's the score, Double R? -- I don't remember if we talked about this before, but how did Wrigley Field wind up in L. A? That's odd.

There was a Wrigley Field in Los Angeles. I came to know this thanks to the television show Home Run Derby, which was aired on ESPN in the 90s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrigley_Field_(Los_Angeles)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings