Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone come across channels that are Copy Protected from recording??

ziggyelman

I have noticed the Encore channels are like this, at least thru DISH network, and was curious if others have this problem. A couple of nights ago, I recorded(on my DISH DVR) The Lady with the Torch, a 1999 documentary on Columbia studio. It ran on Encore Drama, a channel I rarely watch. Well, I will really be avoiding the channel completely now, as I tried and failed several times to record the film on DVD as a pop up shows on my screen saying, COPY PROTECTED !!! Oh, I can understand this, I could sell dozens and dozens of copies at bus stops and on the subway! Everyone is nuts about documentaries on the big studios!

Seriously, is this something fairly new, or have others noticed this in the past? I thought I would see what happened if I tried to record part of Sam Whiskey, which was on Encore's western channel(A Channel I do check out) no dice, it said COPY PROTECTED as well. I checked some other channels, and didn't have the problem. I can even record a PPV movie if I so desired, so what's up with Encore????

I haven't recorded anything off the encore channels in a long time, I will try recording some soon. I have several questions, what model receiver do you have, how do you have the dvd recorder hooked up and did you manually start it? Try recording it to ther pver and recording it to the DVD later

I am afraid you will see more and more of this as we go, its called DRM, Do a search of my recent post any you can find more on DRM.

I am afraid you will see more and more of this as we go, its called DRM, Do a search of my recent post any you can find more on DRM.Message was edited by: kennethlawson

Interesting. I have DirecTV and am always recording from the various Encore channels and have never run into that problem. I record onto a TiVo and if I want to keep the recording I make a DVD dub. I have also recorded directly to DVD again without a hitch.

That said, I do know that certain DVD recorders will not record premium channels because of copyguard circuitry in the in the recorder. Before the holidays, I bought a cheap recorder at Best Buy, it was called Invicta or something like that, and had to return it because it wouldn't record them. I've also heard that Philips has the same problem. This was just going to be something my grandkids could use in our guestroom. I've been using Panasonic and Toshiba as my recorders for years without a problem. I ended up buying another Panasonic for them and it has worked fine.

You say that you have a DISH DVR, if I'd were you, I'd call them and ask what's going on. Good luck.

Soon its not going to make any difference what your using, Directtv, Dish or cable. If the broadcasters are forced to put flags into the material, the the recording ability will be limited if not stopped altogether.. As I said in the earlier post this is mostly due to to greed and DRM in the copyrights holders parts, I'm sure most providers would just assume not monkey with this.., As I said I haven't run into this YET on my Dish system.. I too have a cheap 100.00 special, form the likes of Wally World.. and it works pretty good I would love to change some thing about menus ect, but over all it works and records well..

For more on DRM check out my blog , you'll have to go back through the archives It won't let me put a direct link to a certain entry up.. email of list and I can tell you which ones to see,, if you want..

For more on DRM check out my blog , you'll have to go back through the archives It won't let me put a direct link to a certain entry up.. email off list and I can tell you which ones to see,, if you want..http://kenenthlawson.blogspot.com/

Ziggyelman,

Here are two possibilities:

1-the DVD recorder or DVR you are using is particularly sensitive to copyright flags that prevent your recording. Some overly-sensitive brands are Sony and the Funai brands (SV2000, Magnavox, Sylvania and some others).

2-Encore, or your program provider, may have implemented a higher degree of copywrite protection.

My older Panasonics (analog tuner DMR-ES30V, DMR-ES15, DMR-ES35V models manufactured in 2005 and 2006) are set up to record encoded premium channels such as TCM and the Encore group from a Comcast digital converter box. These Panasonics have not experienced any difficulties recording the Encore group of channels. (Of course, I seldom record from Encore channels.)

I recorded Lady With a Torch from Encore on 1/8/1999 with a Toshiba M781 VCR (manufactured in 1996); and from MoviePlex on 1/8/2008 with a Panasonic DMR-ES30V (manufactured in 2005). The only other Encore/Starz group recording this month was the pan-and-scan version of Day of the Bad Men (1958) from Starz On Demand on 1/21/2008 with a Panasonic DMR-ES15 (manufactured in 2006).

My Panasonic DMR-EZ17, an analog/digital tuner model (manufactured in February 2007) is set up to record analog and non-encoded digital channels cable-ready (without a converter box). This model has had a few occasional failures of a scheduled recording from a local digital broadcast channel but this failure is deemed to be due to a product "bug" that has been documented and discussed on the AVS discussion board. This model records the local HD stations in SD.

Message was edited by: talkietime

I beg to differ with you. I doubt very much that the studios or the companies like HBO will do anything to prevent recording of programing. Not with huge number of subscribers having DVR's from their cable and satellite providers not to mention DVD recorders. They simply won't take the risk of losing millions of them who depend on timeshifting to watch their favorite shows and movies. There would be a huge consumer backlash. Not only that, but in this day and age, they would be swamped with lawsuits too. They are not so stupid that they'd kill the goose that's laying the golden eggs.

Besides, just as there are ways to get around copy protection on DVD's, I'm sure somebody will find a way to do that with programming. Most likely, they already have. Of course, I'm not in any way implying that I would approve or use such devices.

There are several discussion groups that have dealt at some length with this and related topics. Sometimes these discussions focus on technology and sometimes on issues of "fair use" or "rights" of the various parties. Sometimes the discussions generate more heat than light.

These discussions attempt to deal with newly arising realities of copyright encoding within digital and HD transmission and reception technology, and with limitations to recording by hard drive DVRs provided by cable and satellite providers. Such current products do not allow for production of DVD copies of copyrighted material.

There are also discussions of brands and models of general consumer DVD recorders that have been observed to be more or less restrictive in recording copyrighted material.

Some discussions of reproduction of HD transmissions are, for want of a better term, "hacker discussions" where implementation of such theories may land these folks in jail.

Aspects of these issues have been mentioned from time to time on the TCM message board but the most comprehensive discussions may be found elsewhere.

Sony would say, "We're not overly sensitive - we're properly sensitive..."

With DRM's ability to ingrain itself at the bit-level, they are going to control what you can copy, when, how many times it can be played back and what device will be allowed to play it back (probably "only the device that recorded it can play it back").

The on-coming Digital TV laws are going to make that more certain, and the "Computer As Home Entertainment Center" with Microsoft and Apple claws deep into them will all participate in this "revolution" of controlling your entertainment privilges and paying for all of them. There will be a time when you have to pay to re-watch anything. That's what DRM is all about - transferring your money to them for whatever reasons they can dream up and get the digital signals to confirm.

Kenneth, my DVR from DISH is a 625 model. The orginal model gave up the ghost at some point last year, with tons of stuff not recorded off of it! :( I try to stay on top of stuff I really want to keep now. I have 2 JVC combo units(DR MV7) Have no problem recording TCM or FMC, Thank God! Got them about a year ago, so fairly new tech.....Fred, I should try to tape that Columbia docu. Never even used the VHS side to tape, just to transfer VHS to DVD!!! I'll have to find some tape to tape over, never got around to watching this copy I have of Convention City, might as well record over it! ;)

Oh, and the issue of recording Cds is also a touchy one, with one of the big companies(Forget which one) were putting out cds last year that you couldn't record...in fact, I heard some of them wouldn't even play on some computers! Does this ring a bell??? I is tire, otherwise I would google....zzzzzzzzzzzz

HI; I have the older 511's, I also try to keep on top of the recording.. I've mentioned what I'm using already, for a dvd recorder, The big thing is that the only outputs they put on the receivers is RCA, analogs, so you only can record a analog signal, not digital, which is what is piped into the box from the ananteana. One other thing to consider is that the hard drive on a pvr is the HARDEST WORKING hd IN THE WORLD, As long as the unit is powered on, the HD is buffering itself, when it hits its maximum time, usually a hour it goes back records over itself ever if no one is around... The best way to preserve your pvr is to turn it off every night , so the hd can power down.. and the can update the guide.. I would think that as long as we're only getting a analog signal from the receiver to record they shouldn't have a problem but they're to greedy for that...

ziggyelman,

If your recorder (mine is a Toshiba) has dvd-rom capabilities, you might consider recording to this type plastic disk. I understand dvd-rom code does not recognize copy protect flags and the disks are about one dollar more per disk than dvd-r plastic. I've run into "write once" copy protect for the amc cable channel and once on the local pbs channel.

By the way, before you mess with your Convention City...how about, I swap a copy of my pristine print of London After Midnight (1927) for a copy of your Convention City?

Rusty

At this point I don't see you having any major problems recording from your source. The biggest problem is, depending on what you have and how you have it hooked up tying it into your system could be interesting.. My sat receiver has two (2) sets of RCA Red, White, Yellow, and S-video, out, I piped into my DVD Recorder, It it probably will only record to DVD-R disc, It should play mp3 cds, if your lucky divx, and other file formats,

Since I got my Philips Hard Drive Recorder last June, I have had NO problems recording off of ANY satellite/cable channels! (we switched from DTV to TW Cable little while back..more on that later!). Before. on our Sony DVD recorder, it would not record off of any of the HBO/Cinemax channels. Now, with this HDD recorder, EVERYthing records - even PPV...have yet to try a copy protected DVD or VHS however....hmmmm

• 1 month later...

Hi Ken,

Keep us informed about this.

Maybe you can tell us how to make a copy of a copy-protected TV program if our recorders refuse to copy it.

DIGG:

http://digg.com/

DIGG SEARCH:

http://digg.com/search?section=all&s=aacs

http://digg.com/search?section=all&s=drm

LAWSON REPORT:

http://kenenthlawson.blogspot.com/

I'm not that into it yet, beside for most part thats not a major issue....yet..

I don't think people understand what the bigger picture is,, if the media company's can control what and how e watch or tv and how we listen to our music, the are essentially controlling a population, and limiting our freedom of speech and rights to use our bought and paid for media s we want as long as its for our own personal use and not used to make money for ourselves or pirate it as they claim we all do..!!!

Message was edited by: kennethlawson

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings