Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Moli?re"

Film_Fatale

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this film in the theatre last year, in a very limited run locally, and again when it was released on January 22 to my local ?video chain.? I suppose many British would agree with the assessment that Moli?re is the French Shakespeare, but many French might simply say, ?Shakespeare who?? This film is a truly mesmerizing vehicle to bring the man?s life to a new generation. I don?t know how true it is to Moli?re?s life-history; the plot seems more like that of one of his plays (perhaps TARTUFFE), but the storyline is fun, witty and surprising. The exquisite cinematography, set decoration and costumes is meant to communicate a true sense of the 17th century, rather than the chocolate-box confectionary of Sophia Coppola?s 18th century MARIE ANTOINETTE.

You might be interested in checking out a film also titled MOLI?RE written and directed by Arianne Mnouchkine and starring Philippe Caub?re as the title character. I saw this film when it aired on PBS a ?few? years ago, (unfortunately, the version offered at amazon is in French with no option for subtitles) and Caub?re?s performance inspired my fascination with Jean Baptiste de Poquelin (the playwright?s birth name.) You can find a video of LA BALAYEUR DE NUIT, or THE NIGHT SWEEPER, on YouTube. The faces of the audience members are priceless: Are we supposed to enjoy this or is this man crazy? You can also see Caub?re featured in two films inspired by Maurice Pagnol?s childhood memoirs: LA GLOIRE DE MON PERE (MY FATHER?S GLORY) and LE CHATEAU DE MA MERE (MY MOTHER?S CASTLE.)

t's more of a love story instead of the playwright's actual life? Is this from last year?

It's a "what if this had happened?" speculation, knowingly taking a bit of liberty I suppose with what is known about an author's life, just like Shakespeare in Love and Becoming Jane. And I do believe it showed in American theaters last year, now it's out on DVD here in North America.

Thank you for reminding me of "Le Chateau de ma Mere," one of the best movies I've ever seen. A childhood memoir that is totally charming. "La Gloire de Mon Pere" should be seen first as these two are connected, though not exactly a continuing story, per se, as I recall. I remember not liking that quite as much but I think now I need to revisit it.

funny you should mention the reference to Moli?re in CYRANO DE BERGERAC by Edmund Rostand. There is a funny section in THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK by Alexandre Dumas in which Porthos does a humorous take off on his name: misnaming the playwright Poquelin de Moli?re who also appears as the character of Coquelin de Voli?re.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings