Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

B.Stanwyck signature collection----

kimpunkrock

I have been delving into this set. I am surprised that Executive Suite is included in the set since Barbara's role is not that big, even though it is a good movie, there are others I would have picked. Other films in the set include:

Jeopardy----which is amazing. Every film student should see this movie. There is a great use of set and surroundings in this picture.

"My Reputation"---one of BS's favs. I fell asleep during it. I will have to re-watch it to give it a fair review.

To Please a Lady---Fun film with Clark Gable and mid-20th century car racing.

East Side, West Side---I have not watched this one yet

and my absolute favorite in the set:

Annie Oakley--this is a fun biopic about the famed woman shooter that should be shown to every young woman. Annie's humility is inspiring. There is a fun history lesson in this one. I would rather have the young women of today look up to someone like Annie Oakley then any of these actresses/singers that are shoved down their throats today. I absolutely love this film. Preston Foster is great in this and so is Melvyn Douglas. The role of Sitting Bull is both historic and fun to watch. There are some great scenes thanks to old Bull.

Anyone else out there have this set and want to comment on it?

-

kim

I agree that inserting EXEC SUITE into her boxset is kind of strange.

In Europe in 2006, they released the Sophia Loren box set with William Holden's THE KEY in it. Sure, Sophia's the girl behind the key's door but, like EXEC SUITE, I never considered it anyone's but a William Holden film.

Still, THE KEY's never been released for North American home-video and I was glad to get it. Just like EXECUTIVE SUITE.

It's obvious the decision-makers have severe mental-capacity limits, and all we can do is "take what we can get". Every time I've built altars to the DVD gods, all I get is rain and lightning in return. I never get good answers to questions like "Why isn't Paul Newman's first directed film with Henry Fonda starring in it on DVD?" or "Why can't a film with Lauren Bacall, Henry Fonda, Tony Curtis and Natalie Wood get put onto DVD?" No answers to questions like, "How many other big names does a DVD need when they've got Tony Curtis, Debbie Reynolds, Walter Matthau and Pat Boone in a film?"

Much less the "Why aren't Edward G Robinson classics available? What are they waiting for - his next big film?"

The DVD Gods don't listen to me any more than the Stoplight Gods.

I agree Kim, on Annie Oakley. It was the only movie I purchased from the collection. I also purchased "Ball of Fire" one of my Stanwyck/Cooper favorites. Well there's always "Night Nurse" on The Forbidden Hollywood Collection, Vol. 2 coming in March.

Ollie T, we really need a Edward G. collection. Would it hurt, just to release "The Sea Wolf"?

vallo

Vallo,

The film was cut after it was released and Warner Brothers is intent upon finding the missing scenes from Sea Wolf before releasing it on DVD.

They are on an international search for the missing footage.

Thanks, Lynn. I taped "The Sea Wolf" a couple of months ago. Now I need those missing scenes.

USA:90 min (video version) / 100 min (original version) / 87 min (edited version) (TCM print)

and at Amazon they want $99.00 for a New VHS.

vallo

I am stoked for Night Nurse in the Forbidden Hollywood Vol 2 collection. That is one of my favorite pre-code movies. Barbara is the tops in that. Ladies they Talk About is one of my favorite movies of all time. I am also a Lyle Talbot fan, who is also in Ladies they talk about.

I think the reason that movies like Executive Suite get into sets like that is because not all of her films are Warner Bros. to release. They have to choose from a set list of things that are not all ready released on DVD and that they have the right to release. It would be interesting to find out who exactly decides what DVD's get put out and what sets get made.

We are over-due for an Edward G. Robinson set.

There are some of his films released in the Gangsters collection vol 1, 2 and coming up in 3 is the great Edward G. movie, Brother Orchid.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings