Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

West Point on Silent Sunday Nights!

gagman66

A rarely seen William Haines feature, WEST POINT (1928) is airing on Silent Sunday Nights tonight! Don't miss it! The film has not been shown since 2003! Though not as famous as Haines earlier Smash hit BROWN OF HARVARD (1926), this is arguably the better movie.

Once again, Haines finds himself back out on the Collegiate Grid-Iron, this time as a Hot-Shot Half-back for the Army. Both BROWN OF HARVARD, and WEST POINT, where part of the plethora of College, and Collegiate Sport's movies that filtered out of Hollywood in droves after the Block-Buster success of Harold Lloyd's THE FRESHMAN in 1925.

I always refer to WEST POINT as a 1927 film, since it was largely made in that year. The TCM version is a very nice print, though not pristine. David Davidson's score is excellent! Warner's really needs to hire this guy for more projects! Maybe even BROWN OF HARVARD, which has yet to debut, apparently because it must still lack a score? Although the old VHS release had a pretty good Piano arrangement.

It seems to me that Haines characters name in the picture of Brice Wayne, is almost too close to Bruce Wayne to be a coincidence? Bob Kane may have very well recalled this film fondly when He chose the name for Batman's Alter-ego 10 or 11 years later?

Billy's leading Lady Joan Crawford, does not have allot to do, but this was just before her Breakout success with OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS that made her a Superstar at MGM.

Overall an under-rated film from Director Eddie Sedgwick, the man credited on Keaton's Classic THE CAMERAMAN, although I presume that Buster himself actually helmed the majority of that picture. For what ever reason, TCM has been airing allot more of William Haines lately, than they have in quite awhile! Hopefully, A DVD collection could be forth-coming sometime in the near future?

Ed,

To the best of my knowledge this is only the 3rd or 4th time that TCM has run this movie? It debuted in Prime-Time in either 2001 or 2002. Later that same week, it aired again on Silent Sunday Nights. Then it was shown the following year in 2003 once. I believe as part of a Joan Crawford festival, rather than Silent Sunday's?

Anyway, it hasn't been shown in quite sometime. I recorded it on Super VHS when it first aired, but the tape got stuck in the machine! My only copy from which I designed my DVD-R a couple years back, is from 2003 I believe? It was made from a Super VHS-ET recording, but only on EP mode. Still looks pretty darn good, but this figures to be an improvement tonight on my DVD-recorder!

I know that I wrote a big review of this on Derek's board, but I tried to find it this afternoon, and could not?

The thing I liked about this film is how they used a painted background of the stadium in order to insert footage of William Haines to the documentary footage.

They had to reused it throughout the scenes... and you immediately recognize it!

While this effect was somehow clumsy, it was extremely effective. Had the film been shot two or three years later, the studio would have used rear projection and the effect could have been more inept.

Someday I will be very jealous of people who are watching these great silent films for the very first time...but restoration and splendid new scoring (Hello David Davidson!) are alive and well! What a beaut of a comedy that morphed into a page turner. It's easy to see why filmgoers embraced William Haines and what an ending, visually. Yes, it was everything that THE SMART SET wasn't- go figure. Thanks again TCM and just before the Super Bowl too.

~and if Jeffrey doesn't like this score I won't bake him a birthday cake next year...

Jeffrey is too old to have any more birthdays..... I wonder if the score is different from the copy I have of the film.... I'll have to check it out....

Ed,

Huh, how did I get so old so fast??? Or maybe I contracted Rip Van Winkle syndrome, and didn't know?? Jut 42 years young on the 8th of this month, though I often feel like 75!!! Your right, probably won't make it to 43??? Pardon me while I crawl back to my Oxygen-Tent!!!

So did you watch THE MATING CALL yet???

no.... I watched REGGIE MIXES IN instead since it was 47 minutes...... cute little comedy.

sheesh I'm old enough to be your older brother!!

did you find OYSTER PRINCESS and ROSITA yet????

LOL.... ok I'll make copies but I'm sure I sent them.....

REGGIE MIXES IN in a 1916 comedy with Douglas Fairbanks, Bessie Love, and Alma Rubens....

nothing great but interesting.... I'll already made you a copy... and THE SEA LION too

yes Brophy was a "behind the camera" person until Buster Keaton used him (I think this is right) for the bathing suit changing scene in the great THE CAMERAMAN because they needed someone fat..... Brophy was a terrific character actor.

Everyone,

For any of you who may have been trying to reach me all evening, please note. MY E-MAIL IS NOT WORKING!!!! I don't get Error's or anything, it goes through the motions, but I can neither send, or receive anything!

My sincere apologies, to anyone who may have been attempting to reach me? Hopefully, it will be running again soon???

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings