Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I haven't seen very many Marlene Dietrich movies, so I think she's an excellent selection.  I also like the movie series spotlight.  I remember watching the Blondie movies WAY back in the day on AMC when it used to play Laurel & Hardy and other old movies, back with Bob Dorian.  

Perusing the schedule, this is what pops out at me right now:

5/1

The Seventh Dawn & The Devil's Brigade, two William Holden movies I haven't seen before.

The Blondie series, while I probably won't record all of them, I may record the first one and maybe a handful of other ones--I'm going to look for the ones that feature future big stars like Rita Hayworth.

The Mexican Spitfire series.  I also probably won't record all of these, but I've never seen Lupe Velez in a film before and have heard so many legends about her, I'd like to see one of her movies.

5/2
Four Mothers.  I didn't realize that there was a third film in this series.

Maisie films.  I also probably won't record all these, but I like Ann Sothern and I haven't seen any of the films in this series.

5/3

Look Who's Laughing.  A Lucille Ball movie that I haven't seen before.

Private Screenings episodes, one with Liza Minnelli and the other with Ernest Borgnine.  I hope TCM continues to re-air the Private Screenings interviews.  There are many I haven't seen.

5/4

Audrey Hepburn birthday tribute

Green Mansions is a film I always try to watch, but I can never get into it.  Maybe I'll try again.

Two For the Road.  I watched this movie a few months ago and wouldn't mind watching it again.  I really enjoyed the non-linear storytelling structure and the overall film.  I just watched a Simpsons homage to this film a couple weeks ago.

Wait Until Dark.  Every time I watch this film, something happens to my DVR and I lose the film and everything else.  Another time I recorded it, a big storm hit and my satellite went out.  This movie is on at 3:00pm on a Friday... *maybe* I'll be able to watch it live, so I don't have to risk my DVR going kaput again.  

Birdman of Alcatraz.  I've always wanted to see this film.  It's a Burt Lancaster film that I haven't seen. 

The Swimmer.  Oh man! I watched the first half of this film a few years ago when it was on live and had to go to bed so I couldn't see the rest.  Finally, I'll be able to see the second half.

5/6

I Married a Witch.  I keep trying to watch this film and always miss it somehow.

It.  I've never seen a Clara Bow film.

5/7

Anne Baxter birthday tribute

Bedevilled and Chase a Crooked Shadow.  These are two Anne Baxter films that sound interesting to me.

5/8

Petticoat Fever.  A Myrna Loy film that I've never heard of. 

5/10

The Marlene Dietrich block.  It looks like these are her films with Josef von Sternberg.  I've never seen any of these films, so I'll have to see which ones seem the most interesting.  I'm leaning toward Morocco and Blonde Venus right now.

5/14

Hans Christian Andersen.  A Danny Kaye movie that I haven't seen before.

5/15

Joseph Cotten birthday tribute.  Many of these films sound interesting.  

White Comanche sounds interesting if solely for the pairing of Cotten with William Shatner.  

The Man With a Cloak.  A Cotten and Barbara Stanwyck film that I haven't seen before.

5/17

Marlene Dietrich block.

Angel.  I like the Ernst Lubitsch films and I haven't seen this one yet.

Desire.  This one also sounds interesting and I've heard a lot about it.

5/18

I'm guessing that TCM has moved the Underground movies to Friday nights instead.

Dudes.  This movie sounds amazingly awful: "A couple of punks from the big city go on a cross country road trip out west and take revenge against a group of r ednecks*." This film stars Jon Cryer and Flea from "The Red Hot Chili Peppers." 

*-Apparently r ednecks is blocked? Really?

5/19

Desi Arnaz and His Orchestra short film.  I love Desi, got to see this short.

Valley of the Kings.  An Eleanor Parker film I haven't seen yet.

5/20

The World of Harry Orient.  I dislike Peter Sellers, but I've heard a lot about this film and would like to see it.

Pandora and the Flying Dutchman.  I saw this film a few years ago and really liked it, I would like to see it again.

5/21

Robert Montgomery birthday tribute

The precodes: Untamed, Private Lives (sounds particularly scandalous), But the Flesh is Weak (I love the title), When Ladies Meet (I've seen this film before, and really enjoyed it.  I'd like to see it again). 

Trouble for Two. A Rosalind Russell movie that I haven't seen yet. 

Deadline USA.  I've watched this Bogart film before and would like to see it again. 

5/22

Street Scene.  This pre-code with Sylvia Sidney sounds interesting. 

The Wagons Roll at Night.  I've only seen this film once but don't remember much about it, I'd like to see it again.

The Nancy Drew films.  I love Nancy Drew! I am so excited that they're playing these.  

5/24

More Marlene Dietrich.

I love A Foreign Affair.  I disliked it the first time I saw it, but the second time I saw it, I really liked it.  Each time I see it, I like it a little bit more.  I also really like Dietrich's singing.

Kismet.  This film looks interesting. 

5/25

The Lady is Willing.  I am intrigued by the pairing of Dietrich with Fred MacMurray.

Mary Stevens, MD.  This precode sounds like it might be scandalous.  It features Kay Francis and precode stalwart Lyle Talbot. 

Yes, My Darling Daughter.  I like Priscilla Lane.  She's not the greatest actress, but I find her charming.

5/28

Pride of the Marines.  An Eleanor Parker and John Garfield film I haven't seen yet.

The Naked and the Dead.  I am not a fan of Aldo Ray.  But I love the title of this movie.

5/31

More Dietrich.

Stage Fright.  A Hitchcock film that I haven't seen yet and it features Dietrich and Jane Wyman. 

Rancho Notorious.  This film is kind of strange but I like it. 

18 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Four Mothers.  I didn't realize that there was a third film in this series.

I just watched this one about a week ago and reviewed it in the "I Just Watched" thread.

Petticoat Fever.  A Myrna Loy film that I've never heard of. 

I haven't seen this one either.

The Marlene Dietrich block.  It looks like these are her films with Josef von Sternberg.  I've never seen any of these films, so I'll have to see which ones seem the most interesting.  I'm leaning toward Morocco and Blonde Venus right now.

I like Morocco, but I've noticed that a lot of people around here don't. Blonde Venus is crazed but good.

White Comanche sounds interesting if solely for the pairing of Cotten with William Shatner.  

White Comanche is prime William Shatner ham. One of his "greatest" performances.

Dudes.  This movie sounds amazingly awful: "A couple of punks from the big city go on a cross country road trip out west and take revenge against a group of r ednecks*." This film stars Jon Cryer and Flea from "The Red Hot Chili Peppers." 

Flea isn't in it a lot. The co-star with Jon Cryer is Daniel Roebuck. The movie is amusing in a B-movie 80's way.

Street Scene.  This pre-code with Sylvia Sidney sounds interesting. 

Another I watched fairly recently. It's recommended.

Rancho Notorious.  This film is kind of strange but I like it. 

As is this one.

13 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It looks like 7.

Mexican Spitfire

Mexican Spitfire Out West

Mexican Spitfire's Baby

Mexican Spitfire at Sea

Mexican Spitfire Sees a Ghost

Mexican Spitfire's Elephant

Mexican Spitfire's Blessed Event

Oh, good! I think I've only seen one of them.

• Like 1

Good stuff:

Blondie ***

Warlock ***

A Few Good Men ***

The Winslow Boy ***1/2

Morocco ***

Funeral Parade of Roses ***

Brewster McCloud ***

A Generation ***

The Devil Is a Woman ***

School for Scoundrels ***

The Belles of St. Trinian's ***1/2

The Green Man ***

Deadline USA ***

• Like 1
18 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

*-Apparently r ednecks is blocked? Really?

But you can still write r3dnecks... ;)

Dudes is actually a far better movie than it's premise would seem to indicate. The plot becomes quite engaging & the 2 main protagonists turn out to be likeable & you end up rooting for them. I'd definitely give it a chance.

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The movie is amusing in a B-movie 80's way.

Agreed!

• 1 month later...

Are I Fidanzati and Il Posto airing this month in memory of Ermanno Olmi or were these 2 movies scheduled to air 2 months prior and are just pure coincidence on timing?

1 minute ago, CrisR said:

Are I Fidanzati and Il Posto airing this month in memory of Ermanno Olmi or were these 2 movies scheduled to air 2 months prior and are just pure coincidence on timing?

They were already scheduled. Sadly prescient. 

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

They were already scheduled. Sadly prescient. 

Ohh wow, there has been a few coincidences now that I've noticed with TCM's scheduling.  

Thanks for confirming Lawrence.

Man, I am hating, Hating, HATING this "Series" programming gimmick this month.

It's bad enough that TCM thinks the "Maisie" and "Boston ****" films warrant multiple, all-day screenings every year, but now they'r devoting two entire days every week of this month to series that, let's face it, have their viewers but are a niche interest, to put it kindly.

It's really infuriating. That's a lot of airtime that is essentially useless for a lot of TCM viewers. It's one thing to air individual films that are obscure, arcane or speak to a very specialized audience. But, what 12 Tarzan movies? Seriously???

I can't imagine I'm the only one who hates the May schedule.....