Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Norbit" Nominated for an Oscar!?!?

Metropolisforever

Nominations for the 80th annual Academy Awards were announced. Not much to get excited about. In fact, one very big thing to get angry about. So, no really good actors were nominated. No big deal, that happens almost every year. Left out again. But to add insult to injury, we get Norbit scoring a nomination. For Best Makeup! If you recall, Norbit was last year's big stinkfest starring Eddie Murphy in various roles, most notably as an enormous Black woman and a stereotypical old Chinese man. Yes, Eddie was rockin' the Yellowface. For laughs, you know. It's maddening to consider that this kind of racist caricature is being honored as one of the year's best achievements in makeup, by Hollywood's most prestigious organization. It's a load of crap.

As it happens, Norbit was also nominated for multiple Razzies, the annual awards "honoring" the worst films of the year. Eight nominations?five for Murphy alone?including worst actor in the title role, supporting actress as Norbit's wife, supporting actor (as the "Asian" man) and worst screen couple for Norbit opposite either of Murphy's other characters. Murphy also shared a screenplay nomination for the damn. All this equals one of the worst movies of the year... and yet it scores an Oscar nomination? I don't think I'd be so mad if the nod was for, I don't know, sound editing or something. But makeup? Kick me while I'm down. Argh.

Seriously, F*CK THE OSCARS.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that seven films remain in competition for Achievement in Makeup for the 80th Academy Awards!

?The Diving Bell and the Butterfly?

?Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?

?La Vie en Rose?

?Norbit?

?Pirates of the Caribbean: At World?s End?

?Sweeney Todd The Demon Barber of Fleet Street?

?300"

I have to agree that "Norbit" shouldn't be considered! Rick Baker is one great Make-Up artist & personally he should have be nominated for his work in "Enchanted", not for "Norbit"!!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings