Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mickey Rooney (yes, again)

ChipHeartsMovies

I hope some of you saw Mickey Rooney present "Best Female Actor" on the SAG Awards this week.

I know I endlessly tout The Mick on these boards, but I'm happy that the Screen Actor's Guild noticed that he has been a star since...HELLO!...the 1920's. Even if his recent work wasn't necessarily award-worthy, how great is it that SAG respected his life's work enough to ask him to present a major award? And let's note (as I say endlessly on these boards), Mickey has worked every single year in film to entertain us since the early '20's til NOW...the only time he took off, he was busy with service in WWII. OTHER THAN FIGHTING IN WORLD WAR II, he has devoted his entire life to making us laugh --- from "A Midsummer's Night's Dream" to Andy Hardy to "Mad Mad Mad Mad World" to "A Night at the Museum."

The Oscars NEED to honor the two biggest stars of the past who are still with us, while they are still with us...Mickey and Doris Day.

ChipHeartsMovies -

Mickey Rooney was already honored by the Motion Picture Academy. It is unlikely they will do it again unless he wins a competitive award.

See below -

Yancey

1983 - Honorary Award

In recognition of his 50 years of versatility in a variety of memorable film performances.

1939 - Juvenile Award

Shared with:

Deanna Durbin

For their (Durbin/Rooney) significant contribution in bringing to the screen the spirit and personification of youth, and as juvenile players setting a high standard of ability and achievement.

Chip, I love Mickey Rooney. He's such a versatile actor. Frankly, as far as the SAGs are concerned, I considered Mickey and Charles Durning to be the highlights of an otherwise boring evening. (Yeah, I'm bitter because they liked Alec Baldwin better than Tony Shalhoub -- so sue me!)

You'd think SAG would honor Mickey as they did Mr. Durning, especially considering the union was celebrating its 75th anniversary and Mickey's been a member for seventy-four years. Ah, well, as we Phillies fans say -- there's always next year. ;)

Di

> The Oscars NEED to honor the two biggest stars of the past who are still with us, while they are still with us...Mickey and Doris Day.

Of course, this is written with no malice towards Kirk Douglas and Elizabeth Taylor. ;-) That, and Taylor won two competitive Oscars, while Douglas was honored in 1995.

Looking through the Oscar database, I'm surprised to see that Taylor actually got nominated for Raintree County. What was the Academy thinking?

I agree that Mickey Rooney, Doris Day, Jane Withers and others are overlooked. I have written the Kennedy Center in D.C. that I am boycotting it until they honor these three listed here. It is shameful they have overlooked Mickey in particular and yet honored a felon and a notorious deadhead and untold fairly famous ones..

What I hate about Mickey Rooney at the SAG Awards is that when he came out onstage, it took the "stars" in the audience long enough to get off their butts and finally give an acting legend a standing ovation. Forgive him, he's not twenty years old! It makes me wonder if most of those actors even realized that movies were actually produced before 1970. I've also seen this happen with other classic stars. I'd love to be blessed enough to be in those audiences and actually get to see these wonderful performers for whom I have so much affection and sentiment, in person!

Mike,

Doris Day is alive and living in Carmel, CA. She is receiving a Lifetime Achievement award from the Grammy's later this month and everyone is wondering if she will show up in person to accept it.

Always've been a big Mickey Rooney fan. He was an amazing performer in comedy, drama, or musical. I love his "Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever" when he is hurt by being rejected by his drama teacher. He broke my heart when he uses his play's lines to tell off his teacher. (...And the actress who played her was an absolute dreamboat. Move over Miss Crabtree). In "The Human Comedy" when he says if his brother is killed "I'll spit at the world. I'll hate it forever," was very believable. He really could do anything.

But to hop on the Doris Day bandwagon below...I sincerely hope that the Academy this year or next year the latest, honors the contributions of Doris Day to American movies. Are they embarassed by her success? Embarassed by the fact that they did use to like her at one time? What...it's not cool to like her; unhip, perhaps?!

I just saw "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" the other nite, and she was the most sexy mom I've seen. She had the tomboy persona to be able to hang with a roomful of male testerone (Niven included) and the fecundity to produce four sons. (Don't all men want sons???) Then she was sexy as all get out when she goes to dinner with Niven. The way she looked up at him at one point during dinner was like "WoW!" She could play over the top (in that hoakey play Niven wrote) or be dramatic when she expresses disappointment in how mean Niven's turned as critic. And her comedy timing with three child actors (Yo! a shout-out to "My Three Sons") was impeccable. She was so very natural in this movie. She seemed to be talking and NOT acting. (By the by...Margaret Lindsay had a small scene as the party hostess and it was great seeing her...albeit fleetingly)!

Day played with the greats: Gable, Grant, Lemmon, Kirk, Ginger Rogers, Cagney for chrissakes! And might I add held her own. She should have played opposite the Mick too. (Sorry to Bogart Mickey's thread for Doris, Chip). Sang, comedy, drama, musical, danced...geez!

I hope she's honored. It will be a travesty if she's not. The posthumous thing just doesn't work for me.

thank you for your reply. i should have researched before typing. which i just now did and yes she is still alive. i could swear i remember seeing a documentary on her about 6 years ago and her son was saying how great of a mother she was. maybe it was someone else. sorry Ms Day for the mistake, glad your still alive

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings