Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Sterile Cuckoo: Did an Edited Version of This Film Air Sunday?

sweetsmellofsuccess

Love "The Sterile Cuckoo"... Affecting story of how love goes bad (anyone who's loved and lost will recognize the sad, but inevitable, progression); Liza Minelli is amazing in this, and her male lead strikes just the right note (only three characters total). One of my favorites; thanks, TCM!

I dont know. I caught part of it, but I didnt remember much about the movie from when I first saw it. Although Liza does a good job, I never liked the movie and I really couldnt stand her character then or now. It wouldnt be the first time TCM has shown an edited version of a movie. It may have been a version that was shown on network television. I noticed it wasnt wide screen either.

The version on TCM was slightly edited. When Pookie jumps into bed at the chilly motel, they took out the word 'a s s'. And a small scene was missing once Pookie joined Jerry at his dorm for Easter vacation. Pookie makes lunch for them both and then quietly asks Jerry if it's okay to speak. He answers yes, say whatever you want. She responds with a comical shriek, and then looks to Jerry for his response. But he just smiles sourly at her, indicating that he's growing tired of her. This scene is included in the VHS version, so I don't know why TCM showed an edited, pan-and-scan print.

Those edits were present, and its puzzling and irritating. After all, TCM advertises it's films as being "uncut" - they must have used a print already altered for broadcast TV.

I am ASHAMED of TCM!

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

This scene is included in the VHS version, so I don't know why TCM showed an edited, pan-and-scan print.>>

This happens from time to time. It just means that the distributor or studio sent an edited, pan and scan version instead of the uncut, widescreen version.

TCM likely didn't discover the error until it was too late.

When this happens, they try to get the correct version to show at a later date.

There's no reason to be ashamed of TCM. Sometimes, things don't go according to plan. It happens.

They'll do their best to get the correct version and air it at a later date.

Things like this happen now and then. The TCM programmer has said several times on these forums that they ALWAYS order an unedited and OAR version of every film they show, but have no control over what is actually sent to them.

What would you do if your were in TCM's shoes? An edited version arrives just a few days before it's scheduled to be shown and you can't get the correct one in time. Do you cancel the showing and show a different movie, at the last minute, or do you show the version you have? Either way, you're going to have a some upset viewers.

If it were me, I'd do exactly what TCM does and run what I have and try to make it right later on. A lot of viewers like p&s versions and don't object to edits either and those of us who do care and have been with TCM for a long time appreciate all their efforts and are understanding. So about the only complaints they'd get are from people unfamiliar with TCM's policy or those who are who have nothing better to do than make a big deal over it.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings