Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't Miss The Original Gigi (1948) - It's On Now!

Snorky

I got to watch my tape last night. I would love to see this again with clearer subtitles. This is one time I wished I understood French. Many of the subtitles were unreadable. I'm glad that I knew the story from the musical; I enjoyed this, but was frustrated because of the subtitles. (Bob O. did warn us of this before the movie).

I think it is a lovely little picture. It certainly helps to speak french with those washed-out subtitles, I'm not fluent but I could pick up most of what was spoken. I have seen it several times before but not with Robert Osborne's intro. I didn't know the studio had purchased the negative and all the prints just so it could be suppressed - a nasty habit in my opinion. I know this happened with Gaslight (41), I wonder how many other times this occured. It was ridiculous to think that this little movie would compete with the technicolor musical on any level with an American viewing audience. I guess the negative is gone if this is the best print that is available.

--

Terry Wallace

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings