Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Asphalt Jungle.!!!

webestang

Absolutely outstanding. One of those movies it would be really hard to find anything wrong with. I love the character of Dix. I, too, tired of life in the big city, and longed to return to my native Kentucky. Like Dix, I finally did. Thankfully, with better results!

The characters in this classic heist film are fascinating. From Louis Calhern's crooked attorney to John McIntyre's brief police bit. To say nothing of the working class criminals. The wonderful James Whitmore. That funny looking guy with the moustache. They're the real story. This movie is so sharply filmed it's amazing. Arguably, the two best and most emulated crime dramas were directed by the same man. MALTESE FALCON and this quiet treasure.

A clever, concise screenplay from W. R. Burnett's novel serves well. Someday I have got to read that book. I'm quite sure I'd like it!

RR

Agree, this one is right in the pantheon of film noir. Terrific use of character actors, including the underrated Marc Lawrence, who brings the "crew" together for Sam Jaffe.

Best line by Lawrence (as someone is counting out money in front of him, he wipes the perspiration from his forehead): "I can't help it if I sweat. Money makes me sweat."

Yes, very funny in A & C's "Hold that Ghost", playing "Charlie Smith." I can always hear Lou calling for him by name after he disappears inside the "haunted" mansion. And he was also in Ox-Bow, playing one of the vigilantes. Lawrence had quite a lengthy career; he worked in films and TV from the fifties through the eighties and even into the nineties. He had been blacklisted during the witch-hunt days (early 50s), and eventually gave in and named names to HUAC. Spent time in Europe during the blacklist period. Always menacing, but sometimes funny. Famous Lawrence scene from a Bond movie (Diamonds Are Forever): He throws Lana Wood, aka Plenty O'Toole, out of a highrise hotel window, and you figure she's done for until you hear the huge splash and realize she's fallen into the hotel pool. Lawrence lived until 2005, and died at age 95.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't think of another film where Desperation is such a central theme, all the way thru. Just amazing. There are so many intricate relations going on - the corrupt cop and the financier bar-owner, James Whitmore and loyalty to prison pals, Sterling Hayden desperately trying to avoid the romantic entanglements of a woman clearly draping herself all over him. Louis Calhern's fretting over his real situation. Marilyn Monroe going from mistress to alibi is just too much for her.

This film is filled with desperate situations.

GREAT MOVIE! LOVE IT! (especially Louis Calhern and Sam Jaffe)

I always remember Marc from HOLD THAT GHOST.. To Bud and Lou: "It'll be a pleasure to take you boys for a ride"

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings