Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

lets talk packaging...

thebiach

okay so this has been bothering me for a while now and I wanted to get it off my chest...here goes:

what's up with the redesigning of WB packaging???

I for one don't mind too much the slimline packaging of certain sets (Film Noir, Signature Collections) as much as others might have...

I loved the original design for the "Signature Collections" which mostly drew ones attention to the signature and the photograph on the front cover of the DVD Collection...now there is a logo that features the star's name in a box...this mostly bothers me on Errol Flynn since Vol. 1 & 2 are different...I also noticed that certain titles lack the disitinctive "font" from the movie artwork that all previous WB titles featured...now there is a generic font to many of these slimline case spines...not at all attractive to display the way we could with the older releases...

Bette Davis & Joan Crawford collections...while I would've preferred these to be in the signature sets from the get-go I really enjoyed the packaging on BD V1, BD V2 and JC V1, they were similar to The Thin Man, King Kong and The Marx Bros. Collections and were very attractive...now they've redesigned these volumes for re-release to match the new design for BD Vol. 3 and JC Vol. 2??? what about us die-hards that bought these collections upon their original release date?? we're screwed when it comes to aesthetic presentaion on our shelves...

Warner Gangsters/Tough Guys...again the re-design for Vol. 3 (which isn't too bad compared to the originals) has lent to the redesign (and retitling of Tough Guys to Gangsters Vol. 2) which again only angers the die-hards...

while I enjoyed the Tarzan packaging on Volumes 1 & 2 and am glad they included the original artwork from the movie posters into the design I don't partcularly like how it was used for the Myrna Loy/William Powell collection (limited to the disc itself)...the bland design of the TCM Presents sets doesn't really fit in with other sets that have been released...Fox's Charlie Chans, Laurel & Hardy's and Mr. Moto's look more similar to older WB DVD releases than the TCM collections do...the same could be said for the Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland Collection...while an attractive collection overall, it might've been better-looking to release a boxset with individually released DVDs (though I'm grateful that 2 different movie posters were included for each film)...

these complaints bring up questions...

will the Bette Davis/Joan Crawford collections be stacked DVDs or individually released discs in their own cases (slimline or not)?? does anybody know???

is the decision to release these collections without their own individual slimlines intended to deter people from selling off the titles individually on amazon, etc. as they did with the Lucy/Desi Collection, the "Bogart Sig. Coll. Vol. 2", "Lucille Ball", Thin Man, Marx Bros. or the "Legends of Horror Collection?"

my main point is to ask why would you mess with perfection???

Nic

Nic: "my main point is to ask why would you mess with perfection???"

well, the WB answer would probably be that they didn't think the system was perfect, but there could be all sorts of behind the scenes factors. there's an evolution that we can observe in which Warner's is trying to find their new feet, for instance, some past experiments:

the John Wayne/John Ford Collection, which came out at the beginning of the transitional period. the Searchers Ultimate edition, unfortunately didn't quite fit in the box and caused it to look awkward; from that experience, they learned to put 3-disc editions in slim cases like the Maltese Falcon in the Bogart Signature Collection Vol. 2 (although, strangely enough, they didn't do this with Casablanca and Treasure of the Sierra Madre in Vol. 1, despite them coming out around the same time).

i agree that it's unfair to change the trade dress in the middle of a series. i wish they would offer a compromise like they did with the Astaire & Rogers Ultimate Edition, where for a limited time you could purchase a special Vol. 2 in Ultimate Edition packaging that had empty slim cases for the Vol. 1 DVDs.

but in the end, i can't complain too much. even if other studios are more consistent in their package, none of them have the classics output that WB does. after all, the Joan Crawford Collection Vol. 2 may not look much like Vol. 1, but so far the other studios have yet to release a single Joan Crawford collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Its nice when new DVD's come in attractive packaging, but that is not the reason I buy a classic release. The film comes first, the packaging second. I am happy to see all these classics released on DVD regardless of packaging. I think WBHV thinks they can attract more of an all around audience for the type of packaging they have switched to for the Crawford, Davis and Gangster box sets. It would be nice to trade in the older packaging for the new updated ones, but that seems impossible at this time with the exception of the Astaire & Rogers set.

i have to agree, if WB is trying to cut corners on packaging that's ok, as long as they continue with the great restorations and special features on each classic set.

however, i must admit that the packaging on that astaire rogers set is just spectacular!!

I don't really agree with this. How many people will be able to afford the cost of online delivery to their sets unless its terrible cheap and how many people at this point can afford a high defintion TV set. I think it will be a long time before standard or high def DVD's disappear completely. As long as there is a market and the money is rolling in the studios will keep producing DVD's to rent or purchase. Online delivery is and will be for a select few.

I honestly would rather pay a little extra to have something that draws my attention and protects my dvds, than to be stuck paying for a digipak case...how many people out there have young children that like to pull dvds off shelves? a broken digipak case is irreplaceable...how are we to protect our restored movies if they are covered in scratches?....not by stuffing them into binders I hope...how many people have visitors come over and their eyes are drawn towards their dvd collections? the reason for design is to make it appealing to the eyes...

the least they coul've done is include a DVD insert...something that lists the features and incorporates original artwork...look at the posters for these movies....brilliant...instead we are limited to two still shots from each movie...

don't get me wrong...I'm still going to buy these sets, but damn I was hoping at least they'd continue with the slimlines like they are doing for Gangsters Volume 3....

Edgecliff,

Honestly? I think given enough time, digital/online delivery will be cheaper, more convenient and offer better picture quality than anything you could buy physically. I'm not saying it's around the corner, just that it could happen given a few more years. And it isn't going to be all that long before the average HDTV sells for roughly the same that a comparable-size old tube TV used to sell for not too long ago.

digital downloads may possibly become popular, but they will never replace the home video market. while itunes is popular, the CD market is still just as popular. when ebooks first came out, tech sites heralded it as the end of the paper book, but that has hardly happened. the truth is that society as a whole will never fully accept a completely virtual media product. for various reasons, the majority of people will still want a physical item in exchange for their transaction, whether they're buying or renting.

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings