Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Memorabilia Mystery

MovieManFan

In 1971, I purchased a soft covered book (in NYC) featuring wonderfully drawn movie star caricatures. Each page had about 20 Golden Age film stars grouped by film studio. The "MGM" page featured Mickey, Judy, and the gang, while the "Columbia" page would have Rita Hayworth, Glenn Ford and so on. What made this book special were the artist's renderings of the stars - whimsical with dead-on likenesses, kind of like the old Warner Bros. cartoon Hollywood parodies. I used to refer to this book as my 'actor's wallpaper' - because you were instructed to cut each page out and then paste or glue them together like pieces of a big puzzle and hang it on your wall, joining all the stars together. As a huge old-movie buff, I thought this was the coolest thing. Barely out of my teens, my mom got mad one day and and made me take it down and throw it out, along with my comic book and monster magazine collections. Not a good day! I've been trying to identify this book for over 35 years, hoping to somehow acquire it again (e-bay perhaps?) - but without knowing it's title, author or artist's name, I'm up a creek without a paddle. I figured if any forum might help, it would be the TCM board. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Message was edited by: MovieManFan

Message was edited by: MovieManFan

Thank you CineSage jr. and vallo13 for your helpful responses. I'm almost certain it wasn't Hirschfeld, but honestly don't know for sure. Thanks for those links, I just might buy one of those books. CineSage jr., if you ever find that book, I'd appreciate any info you could provide. If for nothing else, I got a kick out of knowing someone else had it too.

Most of the drawn movie star caricatures were done by Al Hirschfeld. I'm not sure if he was the artist, but they do carry some of his books at Amazon.com

No. Firstly, Al Hirschfeld always objected to his drawings being characterized as "caricatures" (and, contrary to popular belief, none of the caricatures decorating the walls of the venerable Broadway haunt, Sardi's Restaurant, are by Hirschfeld).

Secondly, the book described by MovieManFan is by a different artist. Hirschfeld had no connection to it. If I should locate my copy, I'll post the artist's name.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings