Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1936 Musical Short w/ Judy Garland and Deanna Durbin

Buffalo_Chuck

Tuesday afternoon, TCM honored us with playing a little short clip EVERY SUNDAY featuring a 14-year-old Judy Garland and a 15-year-old Deanna Durben showing their pipes off. Wow - how much fun that was! I'd never consider myself a fan of musicals, but seeing those young stars and knowing the films they had in front of them was SUCH a privilege for me.

Thanks, TCM.

<>

Deanna was also 14 at the time the short was filmed (Summer 1936). Although EVERY SUNDAY is often referred to as a "public screen test" of sorts to help MGM decide which girl to keep under contract, in fact, Deanna had already left MGM and been signed by Universal before EVERY SUNDAY was shot. There was a provision in her MGM contract that allowed Metro to call on her services for up to 60 days following its' termination providing she wasn't working on a film at her new studio. As THREE SMART GIRLS wasn't set to begin filming until September, 1936, Deanna found herself back on the MGM lot making this short with Judy.

I agree that both girls are wonderful. It's great to see them in this short at the beginning of their hugely successful careers: all eager raw talent.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings