Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RKO Tarzan movies

bOb39

Just wondering, but if TCM has access to all the pre-1960 MGM & RKO movie libraries, does anyone know why they never run the Tarzan movies from the 1930s to the early 1950s? The ones that starred Johnny Weissmuller and later, Lex Barker?

Yes, TCM has been running Weissmuller's Tarzan the Ape Man 1932 for many years, but never the rest of the series. Apparently Tarzan the Ape Man got separated from the series somewhere along the line. I know that the others were shown on AMC in the late 1990s for a few years, but it seems to me that if TCM has the rights to the MGM?RKO films, they'd show them.

I'm sure it all has to with contracts and stuff, but I was just wondering...

bOb.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah. The first 2 or 3 they made together did seem to exude some sensuality in many of their scenes together. Their underwater swim scene in Tarzan and his Mate, 1934, is something to behold. Beautiful and uninhibited.

Well, Markfo2, I hope you're right. It'd be nice if they were restored. But then I'd have to buy them all again!!! Sheesh!!! :):):)

Thanks Mark.

Message was edited by: bOb39

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings