Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Richard Dix Westerns Collection

kimpunkrock

I recently bought the Richard Dix Westerns Collection from Movies Unlimited. It has 3 of his later westerns:

Buckskin Frontier

The Kansan

American Empire

First of all I did not realize that the set was from VCI Entertainment which does decent copies of public domain films. I would have never of spent 20 dollars on this set if I knew who had released it. I could of bought 2 of the films for less that 5 bucks used together on Amazon. One of the films, Buckskin Frontier is not available on its own so I guess the set was worth it, if you can find a used copy.

The quality of the films are good except for American Empire, unfortunately that print is not that good.

All 3 films are enjoyable but one things that should be noted is that the discs are DVD-R. So if your machine won't play DVD-R's your out of luck.

American Empire has one of the best gun battles I have ever seen in a B movie. The film is worth sitting through just for the ending battle. Preston Foster seems to be the lead in this film. Richard Dix is not in as many scenes as Preston and that is disappointing, I kept waiting for him to enter the scene, but he rarely does.

Buckskin Frontier was my favorite of the 3. Albert Dekker co-stars in this picture and is also in the Kansan. I enjoy the scenes with Dekker and Dix. If Dix hadn't of died a few years later, I could see him and Albert Dekker becoming a great western team. If there is any movie in this set I recommend, it is Buckskin Frontier. (Albert Dekker is also in War of the Wildcats with John Wayne.)

The Kansan was not as good as the other 2. It has a very rehashed story.

All in all if your a big Richard Dix fan and can play DVD-R's, this is one set that you should track down for the lowest price possible. I paid 17.99 not including shipping or tax.

Photobucket

-

kpr

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings