Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Newer movies

Sindey

I see that you are new here, Sidney. Welcome to the board, and I hope you stay a long time.

My personal opinion is that TCM should rent more old movies rather than new ones.

For example, a restored 35 mm print of the rare pre-code ?The Story of Temple Drake? showed recent in a theater in New York, but it hasn?t been on TV yet. A restored 35 mm print of ?White Woman?, a rare pre-code from the 1930s, showed recently at Westwood in Los Angeles, but it hasn?t been on TV yet.

There are plenty of rare old 35 mm films, internegatives, all edited, with sound tracks, and ready to be printed, stored in the vaults of the various studios, that haven?t been shown on TV yet. In fact, I saw restored 35 mm prints of rare old film shown in theaters in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and New York back in the 1960s, but I haven?t seen some of them on TV yet.

Next month we get ?Jaws? and ?Men in Black?, shown by TCM, even though these films have been shown dozens of times ? maybe hundreds of times ? in recent years on other cable channels.

I haven't looked at the message board in ages (watching too many great old movies I guess) so I didn't realize that this is a subject that has been discussed previously. I just started to notice that some of the movies being shown are relatively "recent". I'm resorting to my own personal library more than usual. TCM is one of the last pieces of the past that I have been able to depend on and I don't want to lose that.

Finally saw Michael Clayton last weekend. I would not object to that being featured on TCM "31 Days Of Oscar" next year....

LZ mentioned Visions of Light about DPs in the industry, which featured several great older films, so I would think that it qualifies as a Classic.

Message was edited by: casablancalover

Here's my 2 cents: I want TCM to stick to "classic movies", which for me means from the 1920's through the 1960's. There are plenty of other stations that cover from the 1970's and beyond. I LOVED loved loved "Atonement", but I wouldn't want it to take 2 hours out of the TCM schedule. I get upset when I see newer films listed when I really want to watch old movies. My big wish, though, is that they purchase "golden age" foreign language films (20's - 60's) - I've been reading about mexican films, but have very little chance of ever seeing any of the films.

I was struck by a recent guest programmer interview in which recent movies were dismissed as "disposable". Art, as produced or consumed, however you conceive it, is not by its nature not at all "disposable". I can't say that I know what art is, but I can say from the outset that anything artful pretends to a legacy well beyond that of the now. All of which is not to say that all, let alone even most, what TCM might program as "classic" pretends to art, but at least back in the day a lot of folks suffered the pretense of producing "art". At minimum, even if they weren't "doing" art, they were aware they were still trying to do so. That's what the game was about.

Looking back over the produce from the past twenty years or so, can the the same be said? It's all too easy to be seduced by one's strengths, especially if one aspires to little beyond oneself. Gloss is apparently easy so if gloss is what the testosterone-raddled male mind wants, gloss is what we get, with a little of angst such as it may emerge? Insufficient! Incomplete! We've been trained to want more, not lease because we've lived as human beings.

Time will tell. For now some of us will take a residue of angst, but the preference might have been for a few decades for producers, directors, and actors who sought to actually commit art, for its own sake. Is it actually possible that in a TCM of a hundred years from now, that the eighties through the oughts will be referred to as a lost generation, a disposable generation?

Art is more about form than substance, of that much I am certain. I know jack about art, but I do know that a lot of folks were at least pretending to art, for its own sake, through the twenties into the sixties, but since then what we have we?

It's not as though a modern Cagney would have starved over the past forty years. The substance of the human condition has not been lacking but has rather been more wrongly construed for now onto forty years through a hyper-artificial-overstriving-altruistic lens, which is antithetical to the actuality of what we mere consumers experience here on the ground. The movies over the past few decades are not real, and that's why they do not feel real. They are either completely artificial, both as scripted and portrayed by figures absurdly beyond your experience, or they would drag you toward some future that your own visceral humanity tells you better.

Look at the old films and at what you have trusted in terms of human virtue. And then look at what has prevailed over the past few decades. Look at your grandchildren vs. what might have been, and expected, a few years ago. The average consumer of TCM is completely right to think that reality, circa 2008, could hardly possibly be aberrant than evolution itself would dictate.

I would like them to stay with at least pre 1970 movies. They are going to become like AMC. Back in the day, AMC was more like TMC.

I don't mind them showing movies like "Sense and Sensability", but outside of that class of movie, I would have a problem.

Im glad to see that Im not the only one who noticed that TCM is showing newer movies instead of sticking to its namesake, CLASSIC movies. I cant believe some of the crap theyre showing (and repeating!!) lately. A lot of the "Underground" movies are equally unworthy also.

I hope the programmers read these posts to get input from their viewers. Leave the junk (ie, newer) movies to the other stations.

I was just curious to why he was pointing out that TCM is playing a couple of newer movies from time to time. TCM is still showing more older films then they are newer films so what's the problem? I have the right to speak my opinion too, don't take that right away from me, it doesn't make me a rude person. Sorry if you can't handle someone elses opinion. I was never rude to bio47.

I'm curious. I do not mean this in any way to come across as mean or contrary but I do want to collect some information. I'm not looking for an argument though we can discuss if anyone wishes -

For you newer posters -

How long have you been watching TCM?

When did this arc in the scheduling become noticeable?

I ask because there are probably 5 or 6 threads where some similar discsussion/argument is taking place.

I'm puzzled that this takes so much space and it primarily happens in February.

Until now I've avoiding posting on this oft-mentioned topic, but it just occurred to me that I haven't seen anyone express the opinion that most closely matches mine.

First, I'll say that subjectively I want TCM to show old movies, the older the better. However, from a more reasonable standpoint, what I want to see is for TCM to show movies that are not available elsewhere - Not on Netflix, not on DVD, not through Amazon.com, perhaps not even on VHS and those which I can find on ebay.

When I scour through the new-month's listings, I don't get excited because Grand Hotel or the The Big Sleep is going to be on, old as they may be, but my heart leaps when I see that they're going to show The Wet Parade, So Big! (the Barbara Stanwyck version) or Confidental Agent or any of a dozen other movies that I simply WILL NOT be able to see under any reasonable circumstances unless TCM gives me that opportunity.

There are months when I (privately) gripe and complain about the offerings, but quite frankly, using the criteria I mentioned above TCM is still showing the movies that I long for faster than I can keep up with watching them, and for that I am completely grateful.

So, I'm curious, does anyone else share my opinion here?

In response to movieman1957's request for information:

* I started watching TCM in 1999 when I change to Direct TV.

* I "notice" the "arc in programing" when I check the schedule and find that "Didn't I just see that not that long ago ?"

* Like gregory1965, my favorite periods are when I find a movie listed that I have never seen before. Last month I watched several Cagney films that I had never seen. Needless to say with great enjoyment. There have been times when I have discovered "new" talent in "new-to-me-movies" and I now look foreward to their appearances in other films. Ann Harding's appearance in "Double Harness" would be an example of this "discovery process".

Message was edited by: OldPackard

Gregory's point is interesting. I agree but must clarify something from my point of few. I don't mind if newer movies are shown as long as they are of great taste. I know taste can be debated. But people here for the most part seem to be on the same page. Problem with AMC is they will show something like A Streetcar Named Desire follwed by Legally Blonde. I'm not kidding, they did that. yuch. Just dont want TCM to fall into that trap of illogical thinking.

Yes, Fred. I was going to participate until I seen that. And I'm trying to be very careful not to get set in anyone's hostile sights. So I just decided it was better not to say anything. Infact, although I'm reading the message boards, I doubt if I'll but rarely ever speak up. But, I did ask several of the serious movies memorabilia collectors that I know who have been watching TCM for years like I have. And every one of them said right off that they have indeed seen the change of TCM showing more and more "modern" movies. But, I know I don't have the nerves to be able to deal with the rude aggressions and arguing. That drove me away from wanting to try to talk on here. So, I'm just going to tape what I can of the classics that TCM does show, and keep putting in requests, and taking advantage of the chance while it does last. I do want to tell you that you are truly a kind of hero to me. But, I see how you get outnumbered and followed around. And I just don't think in the end that we can win. I've seen a lot of life, and seen so much disappear or be destroyed, and most changes being for the worse. I've seen these same kinds of arguments before, and, the changes being denied have ALWAYS just simply proceeded right on, however gradually - but surely. -- But, I don't know the people who created TCM, or if they are even the same people still there. I know that you and lzcutter seem to not get along too well. I don't actually know either of you, but, I think you are both really nice people. lzcutter was one of those who really helped me with a lot of information that I had no knowledge of. It's some others who make me feel timid. -- Anyway, it was good of you to come to the rescue of the TCM viewer who started this thread and was immediately confronted with what amounted to a blunt face-off. I know there are a lot of us who don't like this TCM's schedule being used for stuff of the '80s and '90s. But, probably most of us older, more easy-going, retired people just aren't going to get involved in getting attacked for just wishing our classics channel would stay classic. I don't see how your nerves can take it, but Fred, I sure am glad that you're there. ~ Wish you well. Bye for now. ~ Jerry

Gregory:

Your last comment is along the same lines as what I think. There are some films I don't care to see but I know people are anxious for them. Some I know I won't have time to see but the important thing is they are on.

In the end we aren't going to have much say on what TCM does one way or the other. We are a small group compared to what the total viewers are of TCM. That's not to say they don't read what is going on. The TCM Programmer visits here. In the end it boils down to how many people watch and how long Time/Warner is going to allow this "philanthropic" endeavor to go on.

"Fedya" said it best when he said this month is about attracting new viewers. I saw the "31 Days" promo on TNT. They figure if they can get new people to watch with "Lord Of The Rings" maybe they'll watch what comes on after or before and, voila, new classic movie fan. Even if they don't TCM can go back to Time/Warner and say our viewership is up and they get to hang on another year.

First and last it is a business. AMC figured that out. Whatever hurt we feel about what they did, from a business standpoint, they look to the bottom line and know they are more profitable and have a bigger audience than they were when they were the "classic" channel.

Ultimately, I understand people being frustrated. I underdstand people venting. I don't always get why it happens over 5 or 6 threads and overtakes other conversations. For the time being TCM is the only place we can get this type of programming. Their mission is still to showcase classic movies and they have always shown recent movies but as we get older and as time goes by the time frame is likely to become broader and at some point the library has to expand or we'll be seeing the same old stuff a lot more.

Let's not forget though that there were the "lost" film series and the films from Teddington studios and othe things you wouldn't see anywhere else. It may be "Unforgiven" will help fund some of the work to prepare Hal Roach films for broadcast.

Within the scope of the studios and rights issues and prints that are available I can't imagine the challenge to walk that line between "feeding" your loyal viewers and getting new ones to come and stay. TCM is not perfect but it is all we have.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings