Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know Waking Ned Devine is a 90's movie but very well made so I wonder why TCM never ever shows it on St. Patrick's day?    After all, they showed Tarzan today of all things.   So I just wonder if anyone else has thought the same thing....   It was a funny movie about a winning lottery ticket, set on location with spectacular views and genuine local townsfolk, plus excellent Irish music in the pub.   But instead we got Tarzan?   I dunno.   SMH.

• Like 1

As soon as I saw Maureen's name on the description I knew that was why, TopBilled.   Still, it's very odd of TCM to ignore one of the best Irish films in the 20th century on this Irish date.   And I'm talking year after year it gets ignored.   I wish someone in the know there would kindly explain their reasoning is all.   Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, cockermom2 said:

As soon as I saw Maureen's name on the description I knew that was why, TopBilled.   Still, it's very odd of TCM to ignore one of the best Irish films in the 20th century on this Irish date.   And I'm talking year after year it gets ignored.   I wish someone in the know there would kindly explain their reasoning is all.   Thanks again.

I have never seen WAKING NED DEVINE but I've read good things about it.

Another one I wish TCM would play is THE BROTHERS MCMULLEN.

• Like 2

Waking Ned Devine is excellent.

Tarzan was on because it's part of the new Saturday morning programming line-up. It had nothing to do with St. Patrick's Day. Saturday mornings will now feature a B western, a serial chapter, some cartoons and a Tarzan movie every week.

• Like 1

I wouldn't subject myself to Finian's Rainbow and wasn't particularly interested in the other primetime fare. But I did watch RETURN TO GLENNASCAUL. A nice, tidy Irish ghost story made even better with the presence of Orson Welles and very Wellesian direction and cinematography.

Hey! I'm not a newbie anymore but a full-fledged member now! ?

• Like 1

Though late,  always love to get what I've long dubbed "MY ST. PATRICK'S DAY MOVE MARATHON" posted, though again premature

A #1 "The Quiet Man" (l952-Republic)-(*Ford's ultimate tribute to Irish & it's somewhat become what "It's A Woderful Life" has to Christmas) (*John "Pappy" Ford (Sean 0'Fenney)record  Oscar  4th. But most don't know won even 2 more for his WW2 propanga flix) & of course wellknown for it's legendary fght scene with *"The Duke" vs. actual limey *Victor McLaglen-(66 then)

2nd favorite "Gangs  of New York" (2002) (Not for all tastes. though based on facts the 1864 NYF Cvil war draft riots. *Scorsese realizes this entire world brilliantly & it tied 1977's "The Turning Point" as an AMPAS record for most nods with a win (0 for 11) each.  Most stunningly is 3 times leading actor winner *D. Day-Lewis' utterly magnificent & stunning transformation-(AGAIN) into a stretch of William "Cutting" "Billy the Btcher" Cutting=-(though more fictional on Cutting, actually short dead in 1855)

3rd fav. of Irish day "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (l942-WB'S) (Whats to say about this legendary bio of George M Cohan, surperbly brought life by fellow "Mick" *James *Francis)( Cagney & ij a role he only got due to Astaire turning it down>ALWATYS *JHIM'S FAV ROLE & BY FAR TOO!  Winning his sole Best actor statue

4th pick "The Informer" (l935-RKO Radio) (*Ford's very 1st t BD victory as Best Director, though in later yrs he grew less & less  found of this still classic & took home 3 more statuettes vs. *"Mutiny on the Bounty" '35 MGM) that Oscar year, though *"Bounty" did won the biggie, but that's it. NY Film Critics went with *Ford's masterpiece & due to budget they mostly filmedthis on RKO darkned street to save $$$ (TRIVIA: *Ford reportedly keep*McLaglen loaded, not thinking he could play a drunken oaf)

5th "The Last Hurrah" (l958-Columbia) *"The Great: Tracy" actually got better reviews for this great Irish politico, vs his nommed & in my book epic all by himself work in "Old Man" it';s ever so close, huh. Hemingway was little help, at 1st getting loaded hith him & once he caught some dailies he ****ed all over the place saying such things as it's the work, lazy, fat actor" unquote  Hemingway ideal actor had always been *Gary Cooper to begin with. Many know*Tracy's total hate for location, starting off both the cuba & Key West cost, welp, he'd had enough & he WB's fore *Zinnemann, brightin his pal Sturges & even demand to movie entire productionback to Hollywood & the largest s, stage on the backlot-(think it still is>) went back it on WarnerBros. tour, they were currently shooting "A Perfect Storm" (2000) inside. & in whats is crealy among "My Biggest Oscar Sins of Ommision" *Spence lost, but to *Niven in "Separate Tables?" (WHO HAS SEEN THE 1990 *A. QUEEN  TV REHASH???)

& can't ever leave out whats is not only *John Ford's swan son not only to his cinematic career, but obviously his beloved Ireland  1987's slow,. yet wonderous valentine in "The Emerald Isle":  "The Dead"  His peers shoulda' been ashamed in leaving out-(except for it's writing only)( only 83min great, great picture.  Very depressing filmthouygh so beware & it's ending seemed destined to be a classic & with the never won 1 single *Oscar Alex North's beautiful scoring, plus a wee bit of 0pera

(P.S. A nice site voted 1989';s bio/drama "My Left Foot" as A #1, though it's top 7 were limited to be taking oplace in Ireland)

T CERTAINLY AN iRISH TALE. & BASED ON FACT THE 1864 CIVIL WAR DRAFT RIOTSA.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, cockermom2 said:

I know Waking Ned Devine is a 90's movie but very well made so I wonder why TCM never ever shows it on St. Patrick's day?    After all, they showed Tarzan today of all things.   So I just wonder if anyone else has thought the same thing....   It was a funny movie about a winning lottery ticket, set on location with spectacular views and genuine local townsfolk, plus excellent Irish music in the pub.   But instead we got Tarzan?   I dunno.   SMH.

& it's nice little picture to (***-out of 4) I went to review it & mostly because it was already gitting   Oscar buzz that yr even a scrip  nod that year?    Just a few of others "My Left Foot" "In the Name of the Father" "Once" "The Field" In America"-(ll by Jim Sheridan, except for "Once")  "The Boxer"=-(shows goes to show you *D. Day close do it all)

"Shake Hands With the Devil"(l959-*Cagney again)  "Gentleman Jim" & many more