Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bette Davis

mikegee

i know most people that are into the classic movies find Bette Davis good looking. sorry i don't see it. i'm sure there is something about her that others see that i don't, her acting is even poor, her voice is like finger nails on a chalk board. in the many films she was in i only seen 2 or 3 that she looked close to good and those were in the early 30s. if i'm not mistaken it was said by the studios" that now that we have her what are we going to do with her". the phasing may be wrong but the meaning is there. i don't want to get Bette Davis fans upset i'm sure they see what i don't.

I'm not sure if she's judged by looks. It was her acting ability that got her great parts. She also took chances with her roles not worrying about what she looked like on screen. But what she could bring to the part. On her tombstone is written "She did it the hard way". And to me she's a Screen Legend.

vallo

hello mikegee

your view on bette davis not being goodlooking is interesting. she is my personal favorite actress and that topic comes up a lot concerning her. i've collected (and have seen) 100 of her 101 films and i agree to a degree she was not the typical hollywood beauty but her sheer force and determination in her roles that garnered her character to be good looking (mr. skeffington, cabin in the cotton and the letter comes to mind) was pulled off wonderfully. it all depends on the films she was in but i feel her talent was so great that she could give the illusion of beauty when called for and in my opinion that is pure talent.

I'm not sure that Bette Davis was known for her beauty, although she was pretty when she was very young. I think she is admired beyond her looks for her acting. She owned the characters she portrayed and I couldn't imagine anyone else playing in those roles.

I just bought a book that chronicles all of Bette's films up until The Nanny in 1965.

Citadel published put out a whole series of "The Films of..."

I own 2 of them but only one of them is complete.

Since they were published in the late 60's, some of the actors/actresses are missing a few titles. But in the Bogart book, all the films are there, of course since he died in the 50's.

The book is called "The Films of Bette Davis" and I paid one dollar for it.

The other 2 Citadel books I have are:

The Films of John Wayne

The complete films of Humphrey Bogart

These books are hard to find, but if you can find them, your in luck. These books have a great set up with many stills from each picture. I use to use my Bogart book all the time as a source to the films I have not seen yet. But now with so many movies now on TCM and on DVD, there are only a few Bogart films I have not seen.

This photo is of the hardcover edition. Someone has it listed on E Bay, also for one dollar.

My soft cover is the same photos but with red writing instead of blue. One dollar on e bay for this is a good deal.

Photobucket

I think Bette Davis was a beauty when she was younger much as I suppose one could say about me. Or any of us I imagine. However, for me I can't watch many of her films when she is older because of the Baby Jane film and an episode of Gunsmoke weird isn't it. In these she is shrill and loud and pretty offensive. I had read that they had described Bette as a pop eyed looking actress but to me she looked so different from all the cookie cutter actresses that she was refreshing. I also have to give her due credit for delving into her roles and giving it all her best and standing up herself when she thought she was getting a raw deal even if it would cost roles or suspension. Let's take Now Voyager for example my fav Bette Davis movie I watch it everytime I can- I never tire of it. She transforms before our eyes and we take that voyage with her. I also have seen Mr. Skeffington up to a point(had to go to bed) and I loved it and in fact would like to catch it again. The Catered Affair I would like to see it also but not only for Bette but for Debbie Reynolds who doesn't get enough accolades IMHO.

She obviously had something to get into pictures in the first place and to sustain her career so long. I never thought of her as particularly beautiful until she appeared in Now Voyager. Age was not kind to her after the 1950's but most of the actresses looked terrible with their 1950's haricuts. Barbara Stanwyck was another one who was quite attractive and then looked liked a frump in the 50's

kimpunkrock: I have Bette Davis soft cover too but the cover photo doesn't look like that. It's just a huge head shot. I would post it but I'm not sure how to put photos on the threads.

That's great you only paid $1 for that book. I love the Films of.....series. I have four more along with the Bette Davis one. James Cagney, Cary Grant, Joan Crawford and Clark Gable. I bought everyone new years ago except for one(which I can't remember) and that was at a flea market,but it's in excellent condition. And you're right, they're pretty hard to find. I'm still looking for the Barbara Stanwyck book. If anyone knows where I can find one,please let me know. I might have seen in on Amazon.com.

But back to Davis, does anyone own any of her movie posters? I have Now Voyager and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane. I'm always looking for good movie poster sites. Anyone know of some good ones that carry Bette Davis. (or even Stanwyck and Grant)

Message was edited by: ValNY

Hey thats great Val, you have some great editions of The Films of series. They are hard to find, but back in the early 90's they were not as hard to find. I love them. the listing at the end of some of them makes my mouth water. I have the book of classic horror films edition also. I forgot about that one.

I think that Bette Davis a wonderful actress, and she had a very hard life. I think that if you haven't already, you need to see Jezebel, All this and Heaven Too, and Now Voyager. But I understand how you can not like her, and about her looks. I think that she is pretty in some movies, but not in some.

Her acting makes her beautiful. If you don't like her, that is your opinion, and I respect that.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings