Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ONE ROMANTIC NIGHT (1930)

Guest dredagain

Very rare film based on Molnar's THE SWAN (an alternate title), ONE ROMANTIC NIGHT tells the story of a princess who must choose between a romantic tutor (Conrad Nagel) or a rascally prince (Rod La Rocque). Getting in the way and making things difficult is the princess' mother (Marie Dressler).

A terrific cast makes this watchable (although my copy is bad), but the story is rather dull. Gish (in her talkie debut) looks and sounds great; Dressler of course steals every scene she's in. Nagel is OK, and La Rocque is handsome but somewhat prissy.

At age 37, Gish was probably too old for the part of the princess, but it's the kind of character that fit her screen persona. Gish herself did not like the film and considered it slow and dull. She also didn't like the director, whose work she was unfamiliar with. She had not made a film since 1928's silent THE WIND and wouldn't make another film for 3 years. La Rocque, Nagel, and Dressler had all made talkies before this film.

Oddly, this story was filmed again in the 50s as THE SWAN and starring Grace Kelly and Alec Guinness.

• 1 month later...

Since I like Lillian Gish I have always been intrigued by this film. I wish It were released on DVD.

I have been thinking for a while about buying the Silent version of the story that was released in 1925 and stars Frances Howard (later Mrs. Samuel Goldwyn). Have you seen it Drednm? Do you know if the copy that's being sold at Amazon is good?

Thanks for any feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

THE SWAN??? No I don't have it but I've seen it listed here and there..... Grace Kelly and Alec Guinness did a 50s version also called THE SWAN.....

The Gish film isn't bad, just a little slow.

Hi Drednm,

Thanks for the reply.

The 1956 Grace Kelly version is a perennial favorite of mine, especially due to Estelle Winwood's, Jessie Royce Landis' and Brian Aherne's delightful performances in supporting roles...ah yes! Agnes Moorehead is also very good near the end as the dowager queen. It's sad it hasn't been released on DVD either.

haven't seen the Grace Kelly version in ages.... interesting that the Gish version (considered a huge flop in its day) is being shown at Cinefest 2008...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings