Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gandhi (1982)

kimpunkrock

This is one of my favorite Academy Award winners of my lifetime. Gandhi has always been one of my heroes and when I was in India I bought a bunch of his books. I thought that Richard Attenborough did a great job directing it. I also enjoy him as an actor he is really great in such films as The Sand Pebbles, The Flight of the Phoenix, The Great Escape, A Bridge too Far.. I have not seen many of his early films as they seem to be mostly classic UK films, but I definitely want to.

Gandhi is in my DVD collection. I particularly enjoy the performances by Martin Sheen, John Gielgud, Trevor Howard, John Mills and of course Ben Kingsley, who does a terrific job as Gandhi as a young man. I read the books he wrote about his time as a lawyer in South Africa. They are amazing books. There are some things that I do to this day that I learned from his books. The movie really brings Gandhi alive and in this day and age, this movie needs to be viewed over and over. Maybe the peaceful non-violence message will rub off on some of the leaders of the world.

-

kpr

'Gandhi' is a great favorite of mine, I must have seen this movie a dozen times over the years. Very moving and inspirational, fine acting and Ravi Shankar's wonderful soundtrack music.

Gandhi's policy of non-violent non-cooperation with unjust government was later adopted by Dr. Martin Luther King. Both men turned potential bloody revolution into (relatively) peaceful revolution. Men and women like this are never elected to office. They don't possess the slick insincerity of politicians.

If you are interested in seeing some of Richard Attenborough's early movies, I recommend 'Brighton Rock' and 'The Angry Silence', and of course 'A Matter Of Life And Death'. He's only in it for 30 seconds, but I never get tired of pushing this movie.

Regards

Everyone should watch Gandhi tonight at 8 pm est / 5 pm pst.

TCM should do a night of some of those early Richard Attenborough films, if they can get the right to play them that is. He was such a great actor and proved what an inspiring director he was. He is one of those classic Hollywood figures that I look up to mostly due to his performances in the movies I mentioned below and the fact that he made this amazing movie about one of my spiritual teachers.

Kim,

Thanks for the recommendation and the reminder. I agree that this film should be viewed many times, and at different stages in one?s life, as a reminder of what one believes and hopes for the world. I can recall that when I first watched this movie; it sparked a discussion with a close friend from India. She shared many of her memories of living in India during much of the events depicted in the film and it helped ?breathe spirit? into the life of Gandhi.

I am shocked that no one is commenting on Gandhi. Did not too many people watch it?

Too 80's for you? This movie is timeless. I am a black and white film snob but some films from the 80's just cannot be ignored--like this one, Reds, The Cannonball Run ...etc......

Thanks for the bit on Daniel Day Lewis, that was interesting and I had never heard that before.

Gandhi is definitely an important movie.

When will America realize that Turner Classic Movies is one of the most important television channels in the world.

Gandhi is one of my heroes and everyone should seek out his books online and in places like Barnes and Nobles. Every kid should have to read Gandhi. Maybe that would make our future better.

Like I said below, there are things that I learned from his books that I still use to this day.

Out of all my dead heroes--he is the most important one.

I love the film GANDHI, and have admired him and Martin Luther King, Jr., all my life. This film though is amazing. I've seen it a million times and love that TCM is airing it. Kim, like you, I'm a B/W snob and mostly love films from pre-1970,but this one, and a few others, do seem to really draw my interest. Beautiful cinematography, amazing soundtrack by Ravi Shankar, incredible performance by Ben Kingsley (I still have a difficult time seeing him in other roles!), and just an amazing life being portrayed here. Great stuff! And I agree with one of the other posters, TCM is an American landmark. Keep on keepin' on!

Ghandi is a very good movie. it was great that the people of india were able to solve thier problems by themselves as it was said in the movie " this is india's problem not yours " or close to it. i remember hearing stories of Ghandi as a kid in school and if this movie is half of what i heard he was a remarkable man...makes me want to go out and make salt...

A great film. And just as you say Kim, it would be nice for the message to rub off a little. It gets me wondering if film really can change the world at all. Filmmakers will sometimes hope that their work reaches people in a fashion beyond simple entertainment; that a receptive audience will walk away with ideas that challenge them or even offer a new perspective. I don't know how much the world has learned from Gandhi yet.

Speaking of Sir Richard Attenborough, he gives a great performance in Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964). It's playing this Feb. 28th: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=89342

That's all right Kubrickbuff Tootsie is definitely a great movie too. But it is easy to see why Gandhi won. That year was one of the best oscar years in my lifetime that I can remember.

Tootsie is definitely an Essential and one of the funniest movies of the 80's and of my lifetime. It was one of my mom's favorite films so we use to watch it a lot.

great supporting cast too.

Another funny movie from the 80's that I liked a lot was the movie Arthur with Liza Minnelli.

For those that never heard of it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082031/

Dude I would never be hurt over someone's opinion on film---

anyway---that movie Arthur won an Oscar, 2 actually:

Best Actor in a Supporting Role:

John Gielgud

Best Music, Original Song:

Burt Bacharach

Carole Bayer Sager

Christopher Cross

Peter Allen

That song was great. Definitely one of my favs of the 80's.

"If you get caught between the moon and NYC..."

I have been there in that place---it is crazy and u do fall in love.

hahaha-

-

kpr

ps. I am surprised TCM is not playing Arthur. Maybe next year they can get the rights.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings