Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sidney Lumet in Rolling Stone

ChipHeartsMovies

There is an incredible interview with Sidney Lumet in the new issue of Rolling Stone.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" was my favorite new movie released last year. I am STUNNED that Mr. Lumet wasn't noticed by the Oscars.

If "Devil" wasn't to your taste, throw "Network" or "Dog Day Afternoon" into your VCRs or DVRs or whatever. Refresh yourself on Sidney Lumet.

Pick up Rolling Stone. It really is a terrific interview.

A talented and intense director who pulls no punches. And I've never read a Rolling Stone interview that wasn't interesting. I'll check it out.

BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD slipped right past me. Was it a hit? Would it have played most of the mainstream theatres? I've been a little pre-occupied, and not reading up on the new movies.

• 2 months later...

I actually just saw this on DVD last night. Well, it was pretty darn good. Yeah, there was some violence, and yes, I found certain plot elements to be a bit of a stretch. But all in all, it was pretty good stuff, very dramatic and well acted/directed.

It made me go to the "DVD Extras" and learn about it. Lumet is passionate about "melodrama", and says it's something of a lost art.

I didn't see the RS article, but I did check out the "commentary", and it was fascinating, for me.

Listening to Lumet and the two leads talking about intersecting character arcs and their effect on the piece as a whole was good stuff. They developed the whole piece as an almost "barebones" stage work, and used drab backrounds to accentuate the characters. Elaborate backrounds to evoke how one of the lead characters felt his life "should be".

Very stylish, though maybe not for everybody.

I think next, I'll watch "Fugitive Kind", having been allowed in Mr. Lumets creative process.

It is certainly melodramatic, and pretty much everything that happens in this movie would NEVER happen in real life, hopefully. That's entertainment!

I don't think this movie got a wide theatrical release, which is strange since the critics loved it in NYC & LA. But it's now on DVD, as noted, and available to all.

If you even THINK you might like it, check it out. As I said, my favorite film last year.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings