Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How you watch your movies

thebadsleepwell

I'm sure there are people in this world like me. I don't quite know if Im just neurotic or extremely well adjusted. I have quite a large movie collection and have decided to start over and rediscover them all. The problem is I dont know where to start or how to proceed. I know I should just take them off my shelf and watch them according to my taste for the day but something stops this. I am in love with making lists, so of course I have them all catalogued. I have tried watching them A to Z or A to Z by director and on and on. I pose the question...how do you decide what to watch? After perusing this board I know many of you have large collections. How do you watch them? How do you decide which movies to rent? I guess Im looking for a creative but thorough way to watch the movies I have and rent and buy new ones.

(I apologize for the randomness of this but Im curious to see how peoples viewing, buying and renting habits differ.)

Cheers!

JH

My particular brand of OCD means that I watch my movies chronologically whenever possible. (As such - I watch a LOT of silents and pre-codes.)

One of my favorite things to do is record all of the available films for any SOTM that I like (and supplement from Netflix and Ebay, etc) and then re-live that stars career as it played out through his or her films. I generally try to read up on the person as well so I can be both educated and entertained simultaneously and I find that it gives me a greater appreciation for both the films and performer.

Message was edited by: Gregory1965

hmmmmmmmmmmm................When I rent, I always rent 3 films and watch them all in one night. I try to rent a comedy, a action and a drama....sometimes that works, sometimes it does not.

I always check the monthly listing of TCM and set my VCR's to record a crap load to watch at a later date.....I'm still watching films I taped last October,,,LOL

When I want to watch a bought movie..(I only buy movies I know I'll watch over and over), sometimes I'll look though my list 2 or 3 times till a movie "Hits" me. Or....I'll be thinking of a film all day and have to watch it that night.

Oh yeah.....IT HAS TO BE IN THE FORMAT IT WAS FILMED...!!!! I just bought "Colossus; The Forbin Project" on DVD....much to my horror the titles are in letterbox but the film is pan and scan....ARRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!

I'm kind of streaky. After I saw "No Country for Old Men", I watched at least 2 or 3 Coen Bro. movies that I own on DVD. I can't remember the last time I saw "Frankenstein" without watching the sequel next. Sometimes themes are more abstract. "On The Waterfront" seems to go nice with "At Close Range". Penn really had Brando's "arc" down in that one.

I dunno....films that are stylishly similar.

Can't wait until "Magnificent Ambersons" gets a DVD release; I'm thinking it'll go good with "Giant".

None of which probably makes any sense to anyone but me.

I guess thats why film can be so personal.

Aside from my current project of reviewing every single movie in 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die on You Tube which I'm doing in chronological order I watch movies randomly I'll be working and some movie will come to mind and I'll watch it or I'll be in a certain kind of mood and want to watch this movie or that or I just put something on to have on TV while I'm multitasking.

an intriguing question?something I?m sure most film fans do without being aware? My method is sometimes inspiration and sometimes obsession. I sometimes find that when I think about a film, or even a scene from a film, I can ?see this in my mind?s eye.? I?m then inspired to watch the movie again, to relive the original sense of discovery. I sometimes find that I develop themes when renting titles. I recently had a French film theme and I rented ?A Good Year,? ?La Vie En Rose,? and ?Moli?re.? I rented these films before Marion Cotillard?s nomination for the oscar, but the real discovery was that she is also in ?A Good Year.? Her name in the credits made this apparent, but I did not recognize her as the same woman. I guess sometimes my obsession for ?themes? results in some inspired discoveries?!?

My particular brand of OCD means that I watch my movies chronologically whenever possible. (As such - I watch a LOT of silents and pre-codes.)

One of my favorite things to do is record all of the available films for any SOTM that I like (and supplement from Netflix and Ebay, etc) and then re-live that stars career as it played out through his or her films. I generally try to read up on the person as well so I can be both educated and entertained simultaneously and I find that it gives me a greater appreciation for both the films and performer.

One idea I've played with some on and off is to create a binder containing information about the films,tv shows in your collection, printing out a page or two about every film so if you loan the film to someone , you can give them a lttle background on what they're watching. It would also help give you a better idea of what material you have to chose from...

I think the trend I see in all of these responses, is that film watching for us cinephiles is a very personal activity. Our trends and habits reflect who we are; no matter how idiosyncratic they are. Anybody else? I love hearing about the creative ways people make the choice to trudge through their massive collections.

I usually don't watch my movies in chronological order, although I should because that makes the most sense. Instead, I tend to watch a cluster of movies with the same actor or director, and from there I will get interested in another actor or director and move on. Like, right now I'm on a big Jack Nicholson craze, and before that it was the Marx Brothers.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings