Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

my first post!

cinemajestic

hello!! i've got to say that i've been one of those lurkers reading post after post and just want to finally jump in and have some input and express my love for classic films and quite look forward to a little give and take and learn some things from all you seasoned movie lovers! i love TCM and their one of a kind programming is unmatched in it's variety of offerings. just the other day i watched "the enchanted cottage" and was immediately smitten and caught up in it's moody atmospheric tone and was a sure sucker for the ethereal love story.

I'm new at this too, i would like to welcome you and tell you to have fun here. i find it addictive. finally i have a place to talk about the classic movies i watch noone here ( in my house ) like watching the oldies as i do so now i have a place to talk to people that know what i'm talking about. i hope you find the same

thanks mr6666

yes, portrait of jennie and love letters (love jennifer jones) are along the same vein as the enchanted cottage and they're great examples of that genre. i see there is not many posts on jennifer jones and though she made only 24 films she did star in many great classic films.

hello and thank you for the welcome. i've been one of those lurkers only reading from you passioned tcm'ers with boundless enthusiasm for classic film and have gotten a lot of inisight to films i would have otherwise skipped over. yes, viewing the enchanted cottage was amazing. i've never been so pulled in to a film so quickly and could'nt stop watching. i've promised myself to step outside the box and check out films i skim over daily. i guess i stick to my faves and certain genres and focus on them but on the list i've never seen is casablanca. there seems to be a lot of yays and nays on this film and since i'm not the biggest bogie fan i've avoided it. though i love bergman in gaslight and bells of st. marys.

mikegee, my sentiments exactly!! i love the discussion and dissection of all of the posts on tcm films. i've just been so partial to certain actors/actresses i love that i tend to disregard so many other wonderful films. for example-- bette davis. love her! i've gone overboard with not only collecting all but one of her entire library but hit up ebay buying a lot of memorabilia. gene tierney is another favorite. third goes to jennifer jones.

hi vp19

i agree. whenever i read a post by a very impassioned fan of a certain film or star then my curiosity is peaked. greta garbo is an example. i've tried to watch her films and at first seemed blah to her. then i read some posts on certain films etc. and gave them another chance. i've seen 3 or 4 now and queen christina is pretty good and so was camille. same with hepburn. bringing up baby and the philadelphia story were great and now i'm hooked and can't wait to catch more of her.

Welcome, Cinemajestic. I hope you'll eventually watch Casablanca. I'm not a huge bogie fan either, but Casablanca is a film that should be watched if only for history's sake. There are several individual stories being told within that one movie, and that's what I found interesting. Only if you see the movie can you decide whether or not it is a good movie. And, besides, it's a relatively short movie--103 minutes.

cinemajestic:

Casablanca is on late night, Tuesday, February 5, at 1:00 a.m. (actually 1:00 a.m. morning of February 6 if you program a recorder).

This is a chance to watch or record it. I hope you, as well as chillyfilly and moviebuffer12 on the "10 films before you die" thread get to see it. If you do, please post your impressions. I would be very interested in knowing your reaction to the film.

--Gus Cerini

Gus ! ! ! How are you doing, Kindred? I'll have to bring my Rhino CD of Casablanca on the road with me today. BTW, your posts are way too short lately (like mine). Busy with projects? The youngsters on these boards need our life experience more than ever. I have been way too lax about getting back to my friends here.

Kids: Watch Casablanca and notice the incredible rise and fall in the personal stories these characters have during the 2 hours. When you pay attention to the work of Julius and Phillip Epstein, you will notice these things. As a screenwriter, you only hope to channel these two vey gifted men.

(Casablancalover is not afraid of re-writes!)

Message was edited by: casablancalover

Casablancalover:

I probably spend more time reading posts than posting and always enjoy your insights, so we must be kindred spirits. And, as you can surmise, anything on Casablanca usually gets a reply from me.

One of my real disappointments is that when I was working, I told a young female secretary that she had an opportunity to see Casablanca on TV (in those days before TCM you had to search for where and when it would be on). She watched it and did not like it. I've always wondered if I hyped it up too much, if it was her particular taste, or, if after all these years it did not appeal to the younger generation.

Which is why the feedback from these three (I presume) younger individuals, who have stated that they've never seen it, would be of much interest to me.

--Gus Cerini

Gus:

I'll jump in here with a "younger generation" story, even though it takes place many years ago.

I first saw CASABLANCA when I was a kid. It was on TV one night as part of a double feature, right after THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, which I was also seeing for the first time. I remember being sick with a fever while watching both, but remembering that both were very enjoyable. Since then, of course, I've watched them both again and again, and never get tired of seeing them. I appreciate both films more and more over the years.

Rich

Rich:

I also saw them as a kid, but in a movie theater, when they were first released. I've told this story before; my grandchildren ask their friends if "they've ever seen the real Robin Hood". This is a consequence of my introducing them to classic films along with my own bias, and they seem to enjoy the ones I carefully pick out.

But they are children. My concern is with young adults. Given the media onslaught that they have been and are being exposed to today, will they appreciate and enjoy Casablanca and Robin Hood ? I wonder.

--Gus Cerini

hello pk

well, i see that casablanca is to be shown tonight at 1 a.m. and my little butt is going to stay up tonight and give it a whirl. i've tried to watch it a few times and was unable to be drawn in but from viewing several impassioned comments of their love for this film i will once again give it a shot. bogie just doesn't do it for me. no matter how hard i try to get past that he seems to push my yawn buttons. the only performance i've really gotten into is the one he gave in "the maltese falcon" which is an excellent film throughout.

hi ccerini

i'm going to the store today for some cherry cordial ice cream and will caffeine this body up to be up at 1 a.m. to view casablanca. i will definately give my 2 cents worth and will do my best not to be swayed by my built in resistance to bogie. wish me luck! as for now, "captain's courageous" is on and once again i absolutely love this film. the interaction between spencer tracy and freddie bartholomew is fantastic. it moves me every time i watch it.

hello casablancelover

hmm, from that screenname i'm a bit afraid to post because i'm one of those who have tried to give this film a chance and failed. tonight is the challenge! as for july 31st-- yes, i'm one of those leos you mentioned. actually i'm one of those double fire signs like lucille ball and martha stewart. oh and of course the wonderful bette davis is a fire sign. yay

hi kubrickbuff

i'll make a deal with you. i've only seen 4 kubrick films. eyes wide shut, 2001: a space odyssey, spartacus and a clockwork orange. the last 2 i mentioned i absolutely love. you say you're relatively new to classic films and let me know which ones pull you in and i'll give a go at some other kubrick films. wait! i forgot to mention i've seen the shining too. it was ok.

Hi, it's nice to meet you. Well, their are quite a few classic films that have made an effect on me but I will just give you a random list of them

Bringing Up Baby

Casablanca

On the Waterfront

Vertigo

Rear Window

North By Northwest

West Side Story

It Happend One Night

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Notorious

The Genreal

City Lights

I need to see more but those are the ones that I love so far. I just saw A Streetcar Names Desire, I didn't like it, it was boring.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings