Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

The Cambridge Analytica Scandal-

Wozniak said he was taken aback by the extent of Facebook's data collection when he changed and deleted some of his information before deactivating his account. 

"I was surprised to see how many categories for ads and how many advertisers I had to get rid of, one at a time. I did not feel that this is what people want done to them," he said. "Ads and spam are bad things these days and there are no controls over them. Or transparency."

Still, breaking up with Facebook isn't easy. Wozniak chose not to delete his Facebook account. He didn't mind bidding farewell to his 5,000 Facebook friends, many of whom he says he doesn't know. But he didn't want to give up his "stevewoz" screen name.

"I don’t want someone else grabbing it, even another Steve Wozniak," he said.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/04/08/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-says-hes-leaving-facebook/497392002/

:blink:

NPRVerified account @NPR 17m17 minutes ago

According to CNBC, Cubeyou collected data from Facebook users through personality quizzes "for non-profit academic research" — then sold the data to advertisers.

Report: Facebook Suspends Another Data Analytics Firm As Scandal Widens

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/09/600833691/report-facebook-suspends-another-data-analytics-firm-as-scandal-widens?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180409

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm not a member of Facebook and none of the other type of websites or services.   But my wife is and this is causing a strain in the household.   I really want her to get off the site.   E.g.  her cousin had a death in the family.  They posted all about the day of the funeral on Facebook.   While they were at the funeral two of the family members houses were broken into.    

I have to keep asking my wife NOT to post anything about our vacation (before or during) and anything else that would alert someone that we were out of town.    She is still under the misguided POV that only authorized users (e.g. friends) can access Facebook accounts.

NOT!!!    I assume that there are Facebook employees that gain such info and sell it to criminals.   

I was just reading about that sort of thing in terms of the danger of giving out personal information in obituaries online or in the newspaper in the AARP Bulletin.

Since I'm old school, I don't get involved with Facebook or Twitter - - but I can see how teenagers and young people would really enjoy it.

14 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I was just reading about that sort of thing in terms of the danger of giving out personal information in obituaries online or in the newspaper in the AARP Bulletin.

Since I'm old school, I don't get involved with Facebook or Twitter - - but I can see how teenagers and young people would really enjoy it.

My wife mainly uses it to keep in contact with relatives in Italy (and she has a lot of them in various parts of the country).   It is a great tool for that,  but I'm looking to see if there is another one that isn't as invasive.

Mark Zuckerberg Says EU Users Have ‘Different Sensibilities’ On Data Protection

The Facebook CEO equivocated on enacting the same laws in the U.S.

"Next month, the European Union will enact strict new data protection laws limiting what companies like Facebook can do with their users’ data. Would Facebook be open to something similar in the United States?

Depends when you ask......

Last Tuesday, a Reuters reporter concluded the company would “stop short” of supporting the EU laws globally after an interview with Zuckerberg. In his call with reporters the next day, however, Zuckerberg called the report inaccurate, stating the company had every intention of doing so, albeit with minor changes to conform to local laws.

And now, it seems, Facebook may be less certain about enacting those EU-like data protection laws after all ― because of “different sensibilities.” .....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/eu-privacy-laws-zuckerberg_us_5acd11f0e4b06a6aac8c8983?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

-_-

Durbin Confronts Zuckerberg on Privacy Concerns:

".....While many of the questions asked during Zuckerberg’s big day on Capitol Hill were pointless ramblings from tech illiterate lawmakers, Durbin appeared to hit the tech superstar in a way he did not predict, as he fumbled to answer the confrontational line of questioning that many users of the site are now concerned with amid Facebook’s Cambridge Analytica voter data scandal.

“Mr. Zuckerberg, would you be comfortable sharing with us the name of the hotel you stayed in last night?” questioned Durbin, to which Zuckerberg replied with an awkward, “Um… no.”.....

“I think that may be what this is all about — your right to privacy, the limits of your right to privacy, and how much you give away in modern America in the name of, quote, connecting people around the world.

A question basically of what information Facebook’s collecting, who they’re sending it to and whether they were asked in advance, my permission to do that. Is that a fair thing for a user of Facebook to expect?” ......

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/durbin-confronts-zuckerberg-on-privacy-concerns-will-you-share-which-hotel-you-stayed-in-last-night/

Truthout @truthout 4h4 hours ago

RIGHT NOW: Sen. Bill Nelson to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg: "If Facebook and other online companies will not or cannot fix the privacy invasions, then we are going to have to."

Sen. Richard Blumenthal says that Cambridge Analytica's terms of service gave Facebook notice that the company might sell user data. Zuckerberg claims he has never seen those terms of service and admits no one responsible for monitoring that information has been fired.

Watching Facebook and Senate Hypocrisy in Real-Time

Zuck takes a mauling in a bipartisan pigpile – but the members seem more interested in influencing Facebook than decreasing its power

By Matt Taibbi

".....A subtext of the hearing was a vague sense that some of these politicians would rather shape Facebook’s power than decrease it. Lindsey Graham was the only Senator to really raise the possibility of antitrust action. Because the government itself has been engaged in vast and illegal data-mining operations for so long, the outrage expressed against Facebook today was not terribly convincing.

But Zuckerberg came across as even more phony than his interrogators. He’s an unhealthily un-self-aware business overlord who unfortunately has been convinced by someone to have political aspirations, which made him care how he came across on C-SPAN a lot more than someone like Jamie Dimon, who’ll come to the Hill and make Senators wet themselves with his unabashed presentation of pure greed.

Zuckerberg, on the other hand, kept frantically switching faces in search of what made him seem more human – he alternated throughout between libertarian, liberal and arch-capitalist personas. None of them really worked. Of course, five years from now, when he’s emperor of the universe, none of this will matter…

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/zuckerberg-senate-testimony-w518920

;):lol:

Mark Zuckerberg Is Either Ignorant or Deliberately Misleading Congress

Again and again, before both Senate and House committees, Zuckerberg pleaded ignorance about the company he created and has controlled for 14 years. Zuckerberg wasn’t dodging questions about obscure corners of the company or corporate minutiae, but the most plainly fundamental aspects of Facebook’s business and privacy policies.

Rather than the Congressional beatdown many had expected, the most striking aspect of Zuckerberg’s testimony wasn’t his painful apologias or excuse-spinning, but his ability to spend nearly 10 hours saying almost nothing. The hearings may prove to be sea change moments for Facebook and the greater data mining industrial complex, but it would be hard to say the public learned much of anything. ...........

https://theintercept.com/2018/04/11/mark-zuckerberg-is-either-ignorant-deliberately-misleading-congress-or-both/

• Like 1

For the first time, Facebook spells out what it forbids, in 27 pages-

...... Reading through the guidelines gives you an idea of how difficult the jobs of Facebook moderators must be. These are people who have to read and watch objectionable material of every stripe and then make hard calls — deciding, for instance, if a video promotes eating disorders or merely seeks to help people. Or what crosses the line from joke to harassment, from theoretical musing to direct threats, and so on. ......

https://apnews.com/ca3bc2d2b6cc407dba675b3d2f90cafc?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

What Is Emerdata?

As Cambridge Analytica Shuts, Directors Surface in New Firm

“It is not surprising to see Cambridge Analytica/SCL go down, and we all watch with interest as to whether the new firm, Emerdata, represents a continuation of Cambridge Analytica’s recent ethos and techniques,”

http://www.newsweek.com/what-emerdata-scl-group-executives-flee-new-firm-and-its-registered-office-909334?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=NewsweekTwitter

https://fair.org/home/media-ignore-government-influence-on-facebooks-plan-to-fight-government-influence/

Facebook announced Thursday it was partnering with DC think tank the Atlantic Council to “monitor for misinformation and foreign interference.” The details of the plan are vague, but Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab wrote in a non-bylined Medium post (5/17/18) that the goal was to design tools “to bring us closer together” instead of “driving us further apart.” Whatever that means, exactly.

Behind its generic-sounding name and “nonpartisan” label, the Atlantic Council is associated with very particular interests. It’s funded by the US Department of State and the US Navy, Army and Air Force, along with NATO, various foreign powers and major Western corporations, including weapons contractors and oil companies. The Atlantic Council is dead center in what former President Obama’s deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes called “the blob”—Washington’s bipartisan foreign-policy consensus. While there is some diversity of opinion within the Atlantic Council, it is within a very limited pro-Western ideological framework—a framework that debates how much and where US military and soft power influence should be wielded, not if it should in the first place.

• Sad 1

https://jacobitemag.com/2019/06/20/tony-robbins-as-a-political-educator/

Politically, we have not seen the end of this process. The real scandal of Cambridge Analytica was its asymmetric warfare potential.  “We spent $1m harvesting millions of Facebook profiles” may sound colossal to the easily scandalized middle-class consciousness news consumer. In the technological arms races of modern democratic elections, however, such an amount is nil, negligible, peanuts. The potential of the combination of charisma and a couple of millions to torch and obliterate a long-evolved billion dollar apparatus of mediations is downright eerie. The acromegalopolitical Giant Within besieges the Giant Without and from the perspective of the lowest-common-denominator-universalist state and its hollowing megastructures, seductive intelligence, vitality and charisma transform into arms control problems. Perhaps then there’s a reason why they keep coming for Tony. Is it because he knows that ultimately the key to the state is state?

There are two main components of state. The first is our internal representations, and the second is the condition and use of our physiology. What and how you picture things, as well as what and how you say things to yourself about the situation at hand, create the state you’re in and thus the kinds of behaviors you produce.

(Unlimited Power)

Is anyone here still wondering, then, why challenges to contemporary power arrive in the form of echo-chamber repetition filter bubbles and body builders? Tony sure wouldn’t be.