Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mata Hari, 1932 uncut uncensored

johnbabe

do some research on this film, it was quite an item even the poster was condemned as too revealing, TCM must do this film justice, show us the uncut uncensored 1932 print, and even with the cut up cleaned up version, there are scenes which could be considered quite controversial to this day, have a look at it if you can!

• 1 month later...

To the best of my knowledge, the uncut "Mata Hari" is long gone. Mark Vieira discusses that in his book "Sin in Soft Focus." When "Mata Hari" was reissued in 1939-40, the Breen Office (formerly known as the "Hays Office") ordered scenes cut from the original negative.

That said, I've also heard that an European archive has recently discovered what looks like the complete 1931 print.

I believe that TCMPROGRAMMER posted ahile back that it indeed does exist in a foreign archive, and that they were in negotiations with said archive to get a copy of the film. How long that may take is anyone's guess, as that sometimes can be tricky. My hope is that they are able to get a copy of this film soon so that we all can enjoy it as it was originally meant to be seen.

Yes, give us the true original Garbo in the uncut, unedited, uncensored, unaltered and unadulterated Mata Hari - we so richly deserve it!

Gosh, why is not there more attention payed to this and such?

I think it would be helpful if you started a thread about it to bring this injustice to people's attention here and help raise awareness.

>do some research on this film

By the way the film was released in the U.S. in 1931 and 1932 in Europe.

I hope we get the restored version of this movie soon so we can all move on...

yes, first the opening dance is much longer, by at least 5 to 10 minutes, i think, and the sequence is much more tantilizing than shown, second, there is a photo on the back of the released DVD that does shown Ramon and Greta in a lovely embrace and she is dressed in a negligee, how silly of them to actually put on the back cover a pic of a scene cut out, however, this scene is when Mata closes the satin drapes, then, the uncut scene: she emerges in this negligee, and Ramon turns around, and they initiate a very very hot love scene, even by today's standards, the third cut is the famous religious photo candle scene, when Ramon is ordered to put out the votive candle by Mata, he does and then the scene is cut, what happens is that they have a passionate love scene and he is seen carrying her off to his room....... we should have this film back as it was intended.

Also, Two Faced Woman was butchered by the censors, more on that. I hope this sort of answers your questions/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

please try to get this uncensored release out to us, Garbo is dead, only made 27 films in her career, her fans deserve these films uncut, also Two Faced Woman has been cut, from the original print also, come on this is the 21st century, there are worse things on commercial TV but these films had controversial story lines and scenes, but they were done with taste and subtelness,

• 1 month later...

the missing sections are mainly three: first, the initial dance sequence is much longer and GG comes out in the end = viewed only from the back for obvious reasons, next - the scene when Ramon takes her home, and she goes behind the satin curtain and he is supposedly leaving, she then comes out in a see through negligee and a wonderful love scene ensues, and lastly, I think, the scene when he puts out the votive candle in his room, he then proceeds to kiss her and picks her and carries her into his room...................- that is what I believe is not in the version we all have seen and have on DVD= the movie was chopped up from its original form when it was re-released in 1936 or 1938 and the Breen office, said it was indecent in its original form - also you might take notice Two Faced Woman was ruined before its release - by stupid censorship! Hope this answer will help you see that the DVD you have is the cut and censored version.

Archived