Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The COMPLETE TCM Library

I know that TCM owns pre-1986 MGM, complete RKO, and pre-1950 Warner Bros. films. However, isn't it true that TCM also owns a few other titles, including some from Universal, and post-1950 Warner Bros. (not talking about leased films, like those from Columbia or Paramount)? I believe I once read that TCM owned a few Deanna Durbin titles (i.e. Universal). So, does anyone know the true extent to the TCM archives.

On a related note, I've wondered how TCM has been able to show South Pacific. I first thought they just leased the title from Fox, but since no other Fox titles are being shown, that seems unlikely. Then I thought maybe they leased it from MGM/UA (MGM/UA owns the Samuel Goldwyn library - Goldwyn had the 35mm distribution rights to South Pacific). These all seem to be a stretch. Does anyone have the right answer?

For South Pacific, it seems to be a case of simply leasing the movie.

The only Deanna Durbin that shows up in the library is It's Only a Date, (which is to be shown). Most Universal's are leased, same as Paramount and Columbia. TCM only buys the braodcast rights, not the movie itself. Some are for a special event,like Boris Karloff as October's Star of the Month. TCM owns a number of his films, others were leased from Universal, apparently for one time showing. Others are for general broadcast rights. Post sale Warners, I honestly don't have a clue. After all, Warner Brothers owns TCM.

Also, TCM does not quite own all RKO, but most. Two that they don't off the top of my head are Bird of Paradise (1932 RKO,) owned by Fox, I believe. It was on Fox Movie Channel. Another they don't own is Jet Pilot (1957 RKO). This film was set for release, but RKO shut down production. After that, this film and the twenty or so other films awaiting release were released by other studios. Jet Pilot is one that the rights went to Universal.

Sorry if i rambled, but its 5 am and I've been up since 3 am

I noticed that TCM has added Alfred Hitchcock pictures that were made by Universal. In January they are showing Rear Window, which used to air on AMC (home of Paramount & Universal). I don't know if these movies have just been leased, or if TCM acquired permanent rights to the Universal Hitchcock films (I know that North By Northwest is a Warner Bros. film which therefore is aired often on TCM). Does anyone know if these films are leases or permanent to the TCM library?

Rear Window is on the schedule. But searching the library, it doesn't come up so I would assume that they are leased.

There are actually only 5 Hitchcock titles listed in the library

Bon Voyage / 1944

Mr. And Mrs. Smith / 1941

North by Northwest / 1959

Suspicion / 1941

The 39 Steps / 1935

However, here are a couple of RKO Hitchcock's that aren't in the TCM Library.

Suspicion / 1941

Notorious/ 1946

I believe I read somewhere that ABC owns these two. I could be wrong.

'Way back in February, TCM announced that they had acquired the broadcast rights to 61 Paramount titles dating from the 1940s through the 1980s, 23 of which have never been shown on TCM before. They include many of the films that Alfred Hitchcock made for Paramount (not Universal) in the 1950s, and films such as SHANE, ROMAN HOLIDAY, CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD, THE CONVERSATION, THE BAD NEWS BEARS, THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK, and THE THIRD MAN among them.

I see. Well, because "Lifeboat" belongs to Fox, I'm never going to see it again, along with so many others I've been adding to a "wish list" in the 21-Questions game that TCM doesn't own.

Gosh, I wish that if "some" movies can be shared between these major networks, that all of them could! But then, we the people are way down on the list below all the legal crud and making mega-bucks.

Now TCM wants to raise their rates with DISH Network, and if a settlement can't be reached, I'm not going to be getting TCM any longer either. Bummer!

1. If Turner owns the pre-1986 UA library, why does MGM still have their distribution rights. When you buy a pre-1986 UA title, like Some Like it Hot, you'll notice it has MGM credited as the owner. When Turner bought the pre-1986 MGM library, did it not include distribution rights to their UA titles? I am confused.

2. I was surprised to see that Sunset Boulevard never made it onto the Essentials - its more of an essential than Guys and Dolls! But I guess they were unable to get the air rights.