Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How about showing more RKO Classics?

FredCDobbs

If TCM has the rights to the RKO films, why can?t we see:

I Dream Too Much (1935) Henry Fonda and Lily Pons

A Quiet Fourth (1935) Betty Grable

Old Man Rhythm (1935) Betty Grable

"This movie had some GREAT tunes, and not ones that became classics, these tunes will be new to you..... This is an older movie, but very watchable with none of the glitches that you sometimes see in these older films."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026811/

Star of Midnight (1935) William Powell, Ginger Rogers, Paul Kelly, Gene Lockhart

"This movie is thoroughly enjoyable with just the proper balance of humour, intrigue, and style that only William Powell is capable of . Ginger Rogers gives one of her better acting performances and seems very natural opposite of William Powell. This is as good as any of the Thin Man series."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027040/

West of the Pecos (1934) Richard Dix, Martha Sleeper

Man of Two Worlds (1934) Francis Lederer, Elissa Landi

(an Eskimo is taken to London and doesn?t quite fit in)

Blind Adventure (1933) Robert Armstrong, Helen Mack, Roland Young, Ralph Bellamy

Scarlet River (1933) Tom Keene, Dorothy Wilson, Lon Chaney Jr., Betty Furness

Lucky Devils (1933) William Boyd, Dorothy Wilson, Bruce Cabot, Lon Chaney Jr., Betty Furness

(excellent cast, good acting, very good action film about Hollywood stunt men)

The Past of Mary Holmes (1933) Helen MacKellar, Eric Linden, Jean Arthur, J. Carrol Naish

"'The Past of Mary Holmes' was inspired by a notorious murder case that was never solved. In 1922, a man and woman were found shot dead in a field in New Jersey."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024431/

The Phantom of Crestwood (1932) Ricardo Cortez, Karen Morley, Anita Louise, H.B. Warner

(excellent pre-code mystery)

Thirteen Women (1932) Irene Dunne, Ricardo Cortez, Myrna Loy, Mary Duncan

"Even after 70 years, "Thirteen Women" is an eerie, lushly produced thriller that provides more genuine chills than in any of today's counterparts. For movie buffs, the real treat is seeing Irene Dunne and Myrna Loy (both of whom within a year or two would emerge as two of Hollywood's most bankable and respected leading ladies) slumming in a nasty pre-Code creeper about a half-caste sorority girl (Loy) who enlists the aid of a sinister spiritualist to exact revenge on the prejudiced campus "ladies" who expelled her from their club a few years earlier."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023582/

And plenty more RKO films listed here:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0041421/

How about more Crime Doctor movies? How about some of the Frank Buck documentaries? How many times a year are we going to presented with ?Seven Brides for Seven Brother?? Seven? If people loved it that much they?d already own a DVD of it.

The Wheeler & Woolsey films should be shown more often. Also, the pre-Code "women's pictures" starring Helen Twelvetrees, Constance Bennett, Irene Dunne and Ann Harding.

Other RKO favories include THIRTEEN WOMEN; THE PHANTOM OF CRESTWOOD; BAD COMPANY; IS MY FACE RED?; STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR; YOU'LL FIND OUT. Whatever became of THE MONKEY'S PAW???

I agree.

Here are some more RKO films:

The Age of Consent (1932) Dorothy Wilson, Arline Judge, Richard Cromwell

(an excellent pre-code regarding college students)

Bring 'Em Back Alive (1932) Frank Buck?s famous documentary

Black and Tan (1929) Duke Ellington

(all-black drama)

No, No, Nanette (1940) Anna Neagle, Richard Carlson,Victor Mature, Roland Young

You'll Find Out (1940), Kay Kyser, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Dennis O'Keefe

They Knew What They Wanted (1940) Carole Lombard, Charles Laughton, Harry Carey, Karl Malden

Beyond Tomorrow (1940) Harry Carey, C. Aubrey Smith, Maria Ouspenskaya, Rod La Rocque, Richard Carlson

?"Beyond Tomorrow" from 1940 begs to be re-discovered by today's somewhat jaded and special effects over-saturated audiences.?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032247/

Walking on Air (1936) Gene Raymond, Ann Sothern

Wanted: Jane Turner (1936) Lee Tracy, Gloria Stuart, Ann Preston

Double Deal (1950) Marie Windsor, Richard Denning

?This movie should have been titled "Triple Deal". It has a dozen plot twists, some very surprising sexual overtones, and a totally unexpected ending. This is the kind of perfect "B" that will never be made again. Richard Denning, Marie Windsor, Taylor Holmes, and James Griffith - all reliable "B" players we have learned to appreciate over the years. It is movies like this that make us mourn the studio system.?

I think this is a clip from the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcQj00X46ek

Born to Be Bad (1950) Joan Fontaine, Robert Ryan,,Zachary Scott, Joan Leslie, Mel Ferrer

The White Tower (1950) Glenn Ford, Alida Valli, Claude Rains, Oskar Homolka, Cedric Hardwicke, Lloyd Bridges

Anne of Green Gables (1934) Ann Shirley

The Miracle of the Bells (1948) Fred MacMurray, Alida Valli, Frank Sinatra, Lee J. Cobb

(an excellent film, haven?t seen it on TCM in more than 10 years)

Return of the Bad Men (1948) Randolph Scott, Robert Ryan, Anne Jeffreys

Good Sam (1948) Gary Cooper, Ann Sheridan

(people on these boards have been begging for this film for years)

Joan of Arc (1948) Ingrid Bergman, J. Carrol Naish, Ward Bond, Gene Lockhart, Leif Erickson, Jos? Ferrer

Second Chance (1953) Robert Mitchum, Linda Darnell, Jack Palance

sweetsmellofsuccess:

The last time I saw Wagon Master on TCM was maybe 5 or 6 years ago. It?s a John Ford film. I?m not sure why they don?t show it more often, yet they show ?Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? several times a year.

The Devil Thumbs a Ride was on several years ago. I managed to tape it.

joefilmone:

The Last Days of Pompeii was on TCM about seven or eight years ago. I taped it. It?s an interesting film.

When I first started receiving TCM in 1994, these kinds of movies were shown in prime time, and there were no new movies on TCM back then.

Now, to find these movies, I have to go over each month's schedule, carefully, and find the good movies in the early AM, then I've got to set my recorder to record them, because I can't watch movies at 1, 2, and 3 AM.

When I first started receiving AMC in the 1980s, it was the same thing. Great old movies in prime time. Then AMC went to modern movies and that was the end of AMC, and now TCM is doing the same thing. It makes me sick.

I DREAM TOO MUCH was aired on TCM last year,as was THIRTEEN WOMEN.

I agree, that TCM shows very few early RKO films. I don't think that they have aired BAD COMPANY ( I am lucky that I have it as a laser disc). I would love to see THE PAST OF MARY HOLMES, A QUIET FOURTH, and OLD MAN RHYTHM. Some oth the other titles you listed I don't recall seeing on TCM. I taped some of them when they were shown on AMC back in the 1990s. It would be nice if TCM could show a few more of these once in a while instead of a monthly showing of CASABLANCA, or some other very well known film. As for the person who asked about THE MONKEY'S PAW, it only exists in fragments. I have not heard of a complete print turning up anywhere.

The ownership of at least two films listed here, Good Sam and The Miracle of the Bells, ended up in the Republic Pictures library. Wikipedia (not the best source, I know) says CBS Television Distribution controls those films' broadcast rights today. TCM has aired The Miracle of the Bells before, I thought in recent years, but I don't know when Good Sam was last on national TV. Beyond Tomorrow aired on TCM a day or two after Christmas in 2006, I think.

The RKO Tarzan movies.

Fred, I'm glad you included Star of Midnight. I love that one, too. TCM ran it one morning, I think it was last July. I set my timer for it and forgot to set the channel. I think I recorded a cooking show that morning. TCM never scheduled it again. At least not so far. I keep hoping.....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings