Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

irene dunne

virginia1995

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Irene is my favorite. I never get tired of her films -- and I've seen almost all of them. Picking just one is hard -- my absolute favorite is The Awful Truth, but other excellent films include Love Affair, Theodora Goes Wild, A Guy Named Joe, My Favorite Wife, Penny Serenade and the underrated and underseen Together Again, When Tomorrow Comes, Unfinished Business, The Silver Cord... &c &c!

Like most people I discovered Irene through the Cary Grant collaborations, and I think they might just be my favorite onscreen couple of all time, just edging out Cary's films with Katharine Hepburn. Her films in turn have led me to discover Charles Boyer and Robert Montgomery among others. She was lucky to have worked with some great leading men in her time!

As to the musicals, since that's the forum, she's a kick in Show Boat of course, especially her surprising & delightful shuffle in 'Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man':

She was wonderful with Jerome Kern's music, especially the quasi-musical Joy of Living and Roberta. And Stingaree is a great little oddball of a film. It gets to be a bit obligatory that Irene sings in almost all her later films, but I love her voice so much, I could never be critical of any opportunity to hear it.

Archived