Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cleopatra (1963): FULLY RESTORED VERSION!

Metropolisforever

Greetings to all TCM cinephiles!

Visiting the American Film Institute blog, I found this post: http://blog.afi.com/100movies/index.php/2007/05/02/cleopatra-1963-the-fully-restored-6-hour-original-directors-cut/.

This guy called Myron Heaton says that the full 6 hour cut of Cleopatra has been completely restored and that the film is now one of the greatest of all time. I would sure like to see the director?s cut that was never seen (except by Zanuck and the Fox executives in 1962), but I guess that with the most part of the film editors dead by now, it would be very difficult, although not impossible, to restore the film to its original length as intended by Mankiewicz. Nevertheless, I think the 6 hour director's cut should be shown on TCM.

In 1995, Fox executives explored the possibility of releasing a restored version of Cleopatra at a length of about 6 hours. With Mankiewicz having passed away in 1993, it would have been impossible for anyone else to find the excised footage and edit it in the way Mankiewicz originally envisioned it.

Thankfully, the original cut has now been restored.

TCM should definitely air it.

Well, I guess anything is possible. But I'd be surprised if the director's cut is all that good. The traditional release has little to recommend it. It's too long already. Slow paced. Not exciting. Even the pageantry is gaudy and awkward. The characters and their speeches are moody and self absorbed. You won't catch me watching six hours of this!

• 12 years later...

I agree that is should be restored and broadcast.  Liz often commented, emboldened by cocktails, that Cleopatra was her Oscar left on the cutting room floor. She vomited after the premier, realizing how much of her work had disappeared. Here are other movies which improved immeasurably when brutal edits were restored: Heaven's Gate (the director's cut is fabulous. The film never deserved its bad rap).  Apocalypse Now (the excised 45 minutes had left the film utterly baffling. Now it's clear and a masterpiece that actually seems shorter than the edited version). Years ago online I read the restored working screenplay of Cleopatra. So much happens in the final 20 minutes that has disappeared, leaving the final cut bland and depressing. I wish I could find this document again, because the story Fox produced had been richer and more emotionally satisfying.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Wow!  Thread necromancy!

I wonder what the record is on here for bringing threads back from the dead (or, maybe, suspended animation)?  This one's been resting for 12+ years 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

I wonder what the record is on here for bringing threads back from the dead (or, maybe, suspended animation)?  This one's been resting for 12+ years 

When Markoff was here, he brought back 20+ yr old threads.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Wonder what's the record for bringing a banned X4 poster back from the dead? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings