Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"CLASSIC" Movies

hyedenny

I sure wish TCM would stick to the real classics. There's nothing but junk on tonight! Who decided that movies like "The Black Hole" are classics?! Do they really think people will be watching that 50 years from now?

I watch TCM almost exclusively, but sometimes, the programming just doesnt make the grade.

Hyedenny,

If you are a long time TCM viewer than you know that February is the 31 Days of Oscar where TCM celebrates all things Oscar by airing nominated and winning films from 1927 up to 2006.

Saturday during the day was filled with films that were nominated for Best Visual Effects.

Tonight is films from the 90s/00s. Each day has a theme.

On March 3rd, the Oscar celebration will end and TCM will return to its usual programming.

Hang in there.

Make up your mind, Fred. ;-) In another thread, you're criticizing TCM for showing Meet Me in St. Louis four or five times a year. And please pick on another film. They show many others more often than MMISL. I don't own the DVD, either. I watch it every time they show it.

Ok, we'll take up a collection to buy you a $49 VHS machine.

"Meet Me in St. Louis" is ok once a year. Even my favorites "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "The Third Man" are ok once a year. But that should be the limit. This is not "Turner's 10 Classic Movies Channel". This is not the "Meet Me in St. Louis Channel". Geepers.

Why not show MMISL at 2 AM and let the rest of us see some old film noirs and pre-codes in prime time. There are pre-code and film noir sections of this board, but no "Meet Me In St. Louis" section. People keep begging for more noirs and pre-codes, and more classics from the 1930s, '40s, and '50s. But we don't need any one film repeated 10 times in one year, certainly not in prime time.

:P

I record all the time (I use re-writable discs), Fred, I just like to watch each broadcast for some reason. I actually would love it if they showed my movies during the graveyard shift. As it is, I miss most of them because the "family" films are shown during working hours.

Every evening for "31 Days" is devoted to a specific decade of the Eighty-Year History of the Academy Awards. So, while I am enjoying Quiz Show and hope I enjoy Kundun tonight, tomorrow is devoted to films of the first decade of the Oscars, followed Tuesday by an evening devoted to the 40s, etc. Every decade is getting equal treatment so one shouldn't find that "classics" are getting shunted aside.

As to Disney's The Black Hole yesterday (and Hook next weekend, among other titles), I find it encouraging that TCM is showing films during the afternoon that families can watch with their children. Is that such a terrible thing?

Kyle In Hollywood

>Every decade is getting equal treatment

I don't want every decade to get "equal treatment". I'm not paying for "every decade of cinema". I'm not paying for "Turner's Every Decade of Cinema Channel". I'm paying for Turner CLASSIC Movies, and classics are mostly from the '20s through the '50s, and mostly in the '30s and '40s.

Every time any classic movie fan posts their opinion about new movies being shown on Turner CLASSIC Movies, you try to make them feel unwanted and like they are on the wrong message board. But they are NOT wrong and they are NOT on the wrong message board.

I feel sorry for your kids. Just kidding... But Im sure you can come up with better examples of wholesome films for kids than The Black Hole!! Im sure the programmers of TCM can as well.

To me, the definition of a "classic movie" or classic ANYTHING, is whether it has stood the test of time. In fact, most definitions of the word "classic" include a reference to some period of time - in generations, years, eras, etc. Indeed, the "Classics" when referring to music are for the most part, between 100 - 500 years old. People will still be listening to Bach 100 years from now too. Do you think they will want to watch ANY of the movies theyre playing on TCM tonight (or The Black Hole) 100 years from now?! I, for one, dont. Except maybe for its value as a good example of junk.

To me, the definition of a "classic movie" or classic ANYTHING, is whether it has stood the test of time. In fact, most definitions of the word "classic" include a reference to some period of time - in generations, years, eras, etc. Indeed, the "Classics" when referring to music are for the most part, between 100 - 500 years old. People will still be listening to Bach 100 years from now too. Do you think they will want to watch ANY of the movies theyre playing on TCM tonight (or The Black Hole) 100 years from now?! I, for one, dont. Except maybe for its value as a good example of junk.

Message was edited by: hyedenny

"Every time any classic movie fan posts their opinion about new movies being shown on Turner CLASSIC Movies, you try to make them feel unwanted and like they are on the wrong message board."

Poppycock! Don't try to make this about me.

I have never tried to drive anyone from these Message Boards. I am tolerant of anyone's presence here as long as they comport themselves like adults. I lay out the facts about TCM for those who are willing to read it and accept it. I don't place judgement on those that come here looking for an explanation for contemporary films on TCM.

And you know the rest so I won't bother posting it all over again. I enjoy the channel for what it is and what it has always been - which is one and the same. If I didn't, I'd stop watching it.

"But they are NOT wrong and they are NOT on the wrong message board."

If one refuses to accept the truth, I suppose they could still be considered "right". But what good is certaintude in a falsehood?

"I'm paying for Turner CLASSIC Movies, and classics are mostly from the '20s through the '50s, and mostly in the '30s and '40s."

Maybe I should be disppointed in "TNT" becuase I don't see "explosions" every ten minutes, that the Hallmark Channel doesn't send me Greeting Cards and that I don't breathe any easier if I watch the Oxygen Channel.

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk

Kyle, you are so right. Even though I love the pre codes and silents, ohers don't (see any post by leobertucelli.) What I don't get is that every time anything made after 1965 is shown on TCM there are always 3 or 4 people who feel the need to vent on here and I guess I understand that. But there are a lot of films made after that date that deserve to be shown in small doses. Maybe T he Black Hole won't be seen in 100 years, but there are films like The Godfather, Out of Africa, Sense and Sensibility and many others that I consider classics even though they may have been made in the last 40 years.

FredCDobbs wrote:

> I don't want every decade to get "equal treatment". I'm not paying for "every decade of cinema". I'm not paying for "Turner's Every Decade of Cinema Channel". I'm paying for Turner CLASSIC Movies, and classics are mostly from the '20s through the '50s, and mostly in the '30s and '40s.

I'm glad I stayed up until 1:00 on Saturday to watch Atlantic City. And if the fact that it's from 1980 **** off the right people, so much the better.

Don't worry, TCM is only showing films from every decade this month, in march they will return to their regular programming and they are still showing mostly older films anyway so don't worry. I do agree though that I would like to see more films on TCM that are hard to find so I can discover them because I am interested in seeing them.

Oh, dear... And every year, the same old apologists post on here assuring those among us who are alarmed by the increasingly modern movies that are taking over our beloved TC (that's "classic") M is simply a February/Oscar month phenomenon and things will return to "normal" (that's "classic") March 1... And every year those promises are proven to be empty and fatuous... The trend toward modern schlock is here... It's year-round... It's unremitting...

And, yes, I'll exercise my right to complain about and protest against it every time...

Message was edited by: otterhere

> Why doesn't TCM have a "31 Days of National Film Registry"?

Because that won't bring in new viewers.

How do you get people who don't yet realize they might have an interest in classic movies to start tuning into your channel?

(That's not a rhetorical question.)

>Because that won't bring in new viewers.

Right you are, oh Great One. And we know what happens when channels can't bring in new viewers, don't we? We'll have another "Food" channel in all likelyhood. (Turner Classic Meals.)

If there's any doubt we can all check the thread to see what other channels have become.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings