Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anything else other than 1939. What was your fav year in film.

bio47

We all know what they said about 1939 as the legendary year.

I have always felt 1962 holds the title for best year of fims which most turned out to be classic.

I'll name some. I find it remarkable they all came out that year. What is your fav year.

1962 gave us:

Lawrence of Arabia

The Days of Wine and Roses

The Mirale Worker

To Kill a Mockingbird

Long Day's Journey into Night

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

Sweet Bird of Youth

The Manchurian Candidate.

Isn't that amazing?

What is yours? I am curious.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to say 1954 for one reason....

1954 brought us a monster who continues to strive & be popular today and is part of not only Japanese pop culture, but here in the USA as well as many other countries

In one word. The monster, the myth, the icon

GODZILLA

There is no one like the Big G

Often imitated, never duplicated

He was the not the very first monster movie, but the Big G was at the very beginning of the monster boom...

Believe it or not Godzilla was inspired in part by

The Beast from 20000 Fathoms

If it wasnt for Godzilla, there would be no Rodan, Gorgo, Gamera, Mothra,Mysterians, Varan, Gappa, arguably The Giant Behemoth , Giant Claw, Reptilicus..it seemed like every country wanted a giant monster attacking...

The first Godzilla was based on the A-Bomb....and was a horror movie of sorts ..none of the sequels that followed had the seriousness of this movie in terms of a horror element. Godzilla has been in nearly 30 movies since then. I am a fan of the big G, have the movies, read GFan magazine. To me if it wasn't for 1954 a lot of us G fans wouldn't have any of this....it was an important year for Godzilla fans.

I will also say that the 1970s era had some great films in various genres such as Jaws, Close Encounters, Star Wars 1977 , Superman 1978 , Exorcist 1973 , Omen 1976 , Invasion of the Body Snatchers 1977 or 1978 Chinatown 1974..

I dont know what years alot of movies were made in, but I know they were in a certain era or decade if nothing else.

I also like the 1940s , again not knowing specific years by heart, but movies like Maltese Falcon, Universal Monsters, assorted Bogart, Noir & Mystery movies came out then too and are just excellent pics

1941 was an awesome year!!

From my personal favorite you have three of his best films:

*Sgt. York*

*Ball of Fire*

*Meet John Doe* (which is my fave of Gary's)

Then you also have

*Dumbo*

*The Lady Eve*

*The Little Foxes*

*How Green was my Valley*

*The Maltese Falcon*

*Citizen Kane* (personally don't like this one but it is an iconic film)

*Suspicion*

*The Wolf Man*

1932 was also a very good year for movies.

GRAND HOTEL, SHANGHAI EXPRESS, SCARFACE, HELL'S HIGHWAY, ONE HOUR WITH YOU, TROUBLE IN PARADISE, LOVE ME TONIGHT, THE DARK HORSE, I AM A FUGITIVE FROM A CHAIN GANG, BLESSED EVENT, PAYMENT DEFERRED, ARSINE LUPIN, DR JEKYLL & MR HYDE, DR. X, THE BEAST OF THE CITY, BEAUTY & THE BOSS, IF I HAD A MILLION, HORSE FEATHERS and DOWNSTAIRS, just to name a few.

1933 gets my vote.

Dinner at Eight, Flying Down to Rio, Duck Soup, Bombshell, Queen Christina, Counsellor-at-Law, and 42nd Street lead the pack.

Then you add:

Cavalcade, Christopher Strong, Design for Living, Ekstase (the original European release of the Hedy Lamarr classic), Footlight Parade, Gold Diggers of 1933, Hold Your Man, I Cover the Waterfront, Lady for a Day, Little Women, Our Betters, Peg o' My Heart, Penthouse, State Fair, The Story of Temple Drake, A Study in Scarlet, Le Testament du Dr. Mabuse, This Day and Age, Three Cornered Moon, Today We Live, The Vampire Bat, When Ladies Meet, and White Woman.

You can throw in lots of enjoyable, if slightly lesser, movies like Bed of Roses, Dancing Lady, Mary Stevens, M.D., Mystery of the Wax Museum, Oliver Twist, Out All Night, The Prizefighter and the Lady, Roman Scandals, Son of Kong, and Stage Mother.

Added fun bonus: 1933 also pitches you two Bette Davis flicks that ... let's just say ... represent the period before Hollywood knew what to do with Bette Davis: Ex-Lady and Parachute Jumper. Parachute Jumper is the vintage "Jane Hudson" movie that you see in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane in which she has the horrific Southern accent --- she says something like "So I have the job?" Her character's name in this one is Alabama. Sometimes referred to as Alabam.

While I personally tend to gravitate toward movies from the late '20s and early '30s, I'll single out 1945 as being pretty awesome with the following:

Along Came Jones

Anchors Away

The Bells of St. Mary's

Blithe Spirit

Brief Encounter

Christmas In Connecticut

The Corn Is Green

Keys of the Kingdom

Leave Her to Heaven

The Lost Weekend

Love Letters

Mildred Pierce

National Velvet

The Picture of Dorian Gray

A Song to Remember

Spellbound

State Fair

A Tree Grows In Broolkyn

The Valley of Decision

And I'm sure even with what I've listed I'm omitting some that should be mentioned!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings