Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Richard Dreyfuss Yea or Nay

hate to spoil a party but I can't stand him. Never could. I see no range in him. I have never been impressed not even with one performance and I have sat through many to see his co-stars. Although if I had to pick one I liked it would be, Down and Out in Beverly Hills. I have always wondered why his characters have such a manic energy to them.

I saw him on Broadway years ago and it killed me, but he was Death and the Maiden with Glenn Close and Gene Hackman. How could I not see those two?

I am not usually negative. But sorry, I wish I had good stuff to say about him. I like his taste in costars. LOL

Yes, he is excellent as Uncle Louie in the film version of LOST IN YONKERS. Kevin Spacey played the role on Broadway. I was lucky enough to play Aunt Bella in a local production a few years ago. The wonderful Mercedes Ruehl played her on stage and in the film version.

I can see how some would be annoyed by Dreyfus. I do like his performances. I love him in WHAT ABOUT BOB? He's good at playing irritating or self-involved characters.

Sandy K

• 2 weeks later...

I'm giving this one a half-hearted nay. A little too frenetic, unattractive, and kinda the same in every movie. I don't hate him, but I wouldn't chose to see anything because he's in it.

I'm going to go duck now in case this sets tomatoes and other rotting veggies flying at me.

Completely agree! Mr. Holland's Opus is an amazing film. When his character sang "beautiful boy" to his deaf son vocally and using sign language, the look on his son's face was priceless and quite moving. About 9 years ago when working for starbucks I had a chance encounter with Olympia Dukakis while she was in town doing a play and after I gave her that delicious latte I approaced her and mentioned this film. After quoting her lines with gusto from "Moonstruck" and "Steel Magnolias" I then told her I loved "Mr. Holland's Opus" and she said that working with Mr. Dreyfuss was a complete joy and he was quite the prankster on the set.

Another half-hearted Nay. His performances are generally too over-the-top and manic for my taste. Admittedly, that worked for his characters, and me, in JAWS (though I prefer the performances of Shaw and Scheider) and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND. And, although I haven't seen TIN MEN since 1987, I recall his performance as being OK. Did not like his performances in AMERICAN GRAFFITI (weakest performance in an otherwise wonderful movie), THE GOODBYE GIRL, DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS, ALWAYS and WHAT ABOUT BOB?. What can one say about his appearances in THE GRADUATE and STAND BY ME?

I haven't seen THE APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ, but have felt that I should. Someday.

I really like him in "American Graffiti". (It reminded me so much of high school.) But Yea, I like him in that and "Jaws" & "Close Encouters of the Third Kind". But when he won an Oscar - for "The Goodbye Girl" it was like What??!! You can't be serious...and why would Marsha Mason's character fall for an obnoxious guy like him? But that's just me..

So Yea for the 3 movies I mentioned......and Nay from then on.

Since you ask, I kinda like him, but whenever I see him I think "another blanking Hollywood liberal", which kinda blanks me off. But I kinda like him, despite myself, which isn't always the case. He is consistently clever, engaging, and entertaining.