Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Gideon" 1999 is it a remake from 1940's

cpaniel

Just saw the movie "Gideon" on cable this weekend and it reminded me of a movie I saw years ago. Unfortunately, I cannot remember one star from the movie but it centered around a nursing home for the elderly and was connected to a church. The minister was unmarried but one of the nurses was in love with him. An unexpected male visitor comes to stay there and makes their lives much happier and gives them all a purpose. The minister gets jealous of this person and the nurse. Seems to me he was using this place to hide out from someone. ( Gangsters, the law,....)

A lot of the movie takes place in the court yard between the the nursing home and the church. I thought it was Cliffton Webb but did not see it listed in his films. Any ideas or am I the only old person around that watches all of these old movies? Ha.

I think this is a fairly common theme in several old movies. I also remember the "Kick the Can" episode of the Twilight Zone was similar to this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141121/plotsummary

And no you are not the only old person around who watches the old movies. There are millions of us. We lost many of our old people from this board last year when they started their own message board somewhere else, because of all the young hoodlums that invaded this place. But don't let them push you around or try to intimidate you. Most older movies are better than most newer movies. I place the era of demarcation somewhere around 1965.

What you described is very similar to the "Idylwood" old-folks home sequence in "If I Had a Million" (1932). One old lady inherited a million bucks, she bought the nursing home, and she and the other old ladies took over the home. They worked on various entertaining projects, made cakes and pies for the neighborhood, played cards, danced and listened to music, and had a great time, while they made the director of the home sit in a rocking chair all day and just rock.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings