Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

IS BARBARA STANWYCK PRETTY???

virginia1995

A co-worker once referred to Barbara Stanwyck as being a "Betty". From what I have been able to determine, it is a reference to Betty and Veronica of the Archie comics. (Though there is a possibilty it may also refer to Betty Rubble of "The Flintstones".)

Through the discussion I discerned that "Betty" is meant as a flattering term used by a guy to describe an attractive woman who is pretty enough that he would want to date her - as compared to best looking woman in the room (also being the most "threaetening") who a guy would only want to bed.

As to Miss Stanwyk, I kinda think that is a great description.

Kyle In Hollywood

I totally agree with FG and CineMaven and Frank Grimes was right on the money to say that Barbara was all wits and inner beauty. She is that kind of actress that makes looks seem unimportant, though there are stunning close-ups of her in ''The Strange Love of Martha Ivers''. She oozes such intensity in her performances and was gifted with such a sultry voice that it all comes down to genuine acting with Missy on the silver screen. For that alone she is beautiful to me.

She was VERY pretty during her early career, when she benefited much from the makeup,

hairstyles, and clothing of the 1920's and 1930's. The 1940's and 1950's were, in my

unprofessional opinion, a very dark and unfeminizing period for womens' style. The hairdoes were especially ridiculous and unflattering. When the 60's and 70's came along Barbara became

stylish and attractive again, as did her contemporaries . Im not sure that that applies to

Joan Crawford, but believe it does to Bette Davis, Haviland, Sothern, Fontaine, Colbert, and others.

• 2 months later...

Wow! That was fantastic, Ang! You keep getting better and better with your slideshows and you're already at the head of the class. Love your choice of song, too. Perfect.

I must say, Missy is much, much better to watch than that tall Montanan fella. And I can't wait to watch your Grace Kelly slideshow. That should be lovely. :):P

I'm glad you liked it. I don't know why it was so hard to find a song that would work but I really liked that one and it fit well.

*I must say, Missy is much, much better to watch than that tall Montanan fella.*

I don't know about that ;).

*And I can't wait to watch your Grace Kelly slideshow. That should be lovely.*

Funny you should mention that. I tried to make one of her but my laptop started smoking and hissing and I had to yank the plug out before it exploded. I think I better just stick with that tall Montanan :).

I agree with Ken, she was hot in Double Indemnity, I used to think that was her real hair..

I thought she was attractive in some movies, but certainly beyond a shadow of a doubt she was a great leading lady . Some movies of hers I wasnt into, BUT she was very good in her roles...

Night Nurse was awesome too..

Coopsgirl, I watched your video...and then spent the next half hour going through some other Stanwyck tributes. Nice job there. Nice job!

Can you tell, briefly, how you put that together. Clips from DVD's? VHS? Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro to edit and the music?? Run through your process a little or PM about your process. Thank you.

BTW, there was another Missy Tribute (I believe it was scored to the song "You're Beautiful") that just about broke my heart. So young...so talented...so energetic...so pretty. Hey, I think I just answered the thread's initial question.

Thanks! I had wanted to do one for Barbara for months but couldn?t find the right song. I was happy when I finally did :).

The videos are really pretty easy to make and I use software that came with my laptop. Using Roxio I upload the movies (mostly recorded from TCM) and then import them into Windows Movie Maker. From there you can add songs (import them from your PC just like you did with the movies) and do the editing and effects. It?s a very user friendly program. I actually bought a more expensive movie maker program and didn?t like it as much (too complicated and not as good results) so I went back to Movie Maker.

I?ve seen the video you?re talking about set to the song *You?re Beautiful*. I don?t like James Blunt but it was a good choice and made a beautiful video. There are a lot of great videos like that about classic movie stars on youtube and I have spent hours some days just surfing around and watching them.

• 1 month later...

I think she's gorgeous. I may be the only one who thinks so, but I hated her blonde hair in Double Indemnity. I even like the way she looked as an older woman on The Big Valley better.

I don't know about you, but I am very sick and tired of all these pretty pretty faces I see these days in magazines or the movies. They are so perfectly pretty, they look downright plain. What ever happened to unusual looks like Cher, Barbara Streisand, Goldie Hawn and Faye Dunaway?

Stanwyck had an unusual face that allowed her striking personality shine through. As for her figure, I've read many costume designers hated fitting her. They complained she had a long torso, short legs and "low bottom". (Heh, I'd trade my body & face in a millisecond!) It just goes to show you, beauty is really the whole package, and talent and personality are stronger than face & figure.

And what about Claudette Colbert? Now there's a non traditional beauty. I recall Osbourne saying about Bette Davis in Mr Skeffington, "She was such a great actress, she made you believe she was beautiful".

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings