• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)

kimpunkrock

Abe Lincoln in Illinois (1940)

This title is playing next week on TCM.

Mon. Feb 11th at 6:30 am.

Too bad it is playing so early but those who have never seen this film should set their tivo's and recorders. This is my favorite movie about Lincoln. Raymond Massey is the best Honest Abe yet. Seeing as today is Super Tuesday, I thought I would give this movie a thread, since it is about one of the best presidents the US ever had.

It is not yet on DVD, so everyone should get it taped.

Plus Ruth Gordon is at her best as Mary Todd Lincoln. The scenes about her and Abe before they are married are some of the best scenes in the movie. It is true, behind every great man (or woman) stands an equally great if not greater woman. I did not know that Mary pushed him into politics, luckily for us she did. This movie is an interesting history lesson. I learned more about Abe from this movie than in all my schooling.

God Bless TCM!

-

kim

I've never seen this film before so per your recommendationI'll probably Tivo it this go-round.

I think the main reason I've avoided it is because I keep thinking of Ruth Gordon from her Harold and Maude/Rosemary's Baby years portraying Mary Lincoln, and then the disconect is just too much for me to handle.

Kim,

If you liked this one, I would also recommend another Lincoln film, "Young Mr Lincoln" starring Henry Fonda and directed by John Ford.

It was shown on TCM during Ford at Fox back in December but if you have the Ford at Fox box set (which I think you mentioned that you do) it is part of that collection as well.

lz-

Yes I have the Ford at Fox box set (so grateful for this gift). I have not watched Young Mr. Lincoln yet. It is so hard after watching Raymond Massey play this role so many times to now watch Henry Fonda, whom I admire greatly. But Massey is just so damn good in this role that it is hard to imagine anyone else playing it.

I am sure I will love Young Mr. Lincoln. I am just going to watch that one last. I really loved Seas Beneath and Pilgrimage from the Ford at Fox box set. I am not even half way through it yet. It is such an AWESOME set.

What films do you really like in it?

KPR,

I am a big John Ford fan so that probably skews my view but of those in the box set these are the ones closest to my heart:

The Iron Horse Here Ford tackles the western and in doing so, sets the stage for the western to mature as a genre over the next sixty years with Ford at the helm of many of the best the genre would have to offer.

Four Sons

Pilgrimage

Drums Along the Mohawk

The Grapes of Wrath: Great performances and great cinematography.

How Green Was My Valley: With Ford it's about ritual in the military, societal and family.. This film brims with family ritual.

Honorary mention:

My Darlin' Clementine: Again good performances and great cinematography.

Steamboat 'Round the Bend

Yes Drums Along the Mohawk is one of my favorite films of all time. I actually owned that DVD before I got the set. I also had My Darling Clementine and What Price Glory. Both of those are good but I really like My Darling Clementine because not only does it offer a different version of the Clantons Vs. The Earps, but it has sexy Victor Mature, John Ireland, Walter Brennan and of course Henry Fonda. How Green is my Valley is a great film also. I owned that one on VHS. I love Donald Crisp. He is so good in everything he does. John Ford is an A-1 director. the top of the top.

This is a surprisingly good movie. Surprising because some filmed plays have an awkward, stagey quality. Not this one. It soars above the traditional limitations, moving rapidly, with visual appeal and period atmosphere. I can only imagine it works better as a film than its original incarnation. It's a fascinating tale (could it not be?), with well drawn characters. Even Lincoln's depression is dealt with maturely and without whitewash. Again, surprising.

Playwright Robert Sherwood can be credited to to great degree. I don't think he wrote the adaptation, but he supplied them with monumental source material. A story that's interesting from the beginning, and becomes more and more so throughout. That's writing!

I won't say there's not a little overcooking. Some melodrama. Some broad acting. But few movies are perfect. This one is awfully good. Honest!

Red River

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings