Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Metropolisforever

TCM Underground SUGGESTIONS...

Post your TCM Underground suggestions here.

In my opinion, the following movies SHOULD be played on TCM Underground:

Luis Bu?uel's films, like "Un Chien Andalou" and "L'?ge d'Or"

Dwight Esper's films, like "Reefer Madness" and "Maniac"

Mom and Dad (1945)

Dementia (1955)

Blood Feast (1963) and other Herschell Gordon Lewis films

Dementia 13 (1963)

Dog Star Man (1964) and other Stan Brakhage films

Frederick Wisman's films, like "Titicut Follies" and "High School"

Andy Warhol's films, like "Chelsea Girls" and "Empire"

John Waters' films, like "Pink Flamingos" and "Female Trouble"

Deep Throat (1972)

Russ Meyer's films, like "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls" and "Up!"

Eraserhead (1977) and other David Lynch films

...and SEVERAL others...

Good thread. A few suggestions...

Little Shop of Horrors (1960)

The Wizard of Speed and Time (1989)

The Green Slime (1968)

Candy (1968)

Lisa and the Devil (1973)

Polyester (1981)

Even Dwarfs Started Small (1970)

Stranger than Paradise (1984)

Living in Oblivion (1995)

Alphaville (1965)

Masculine-Feminine (1966)

THX-1138 (1971)

Bedazzled (1967)

I would love to see Titicut Follies because it is so hard to see. That would really be something if TCM could get the rights to do a month long spotlight on Frederick Wiseman. I don't know if any of his movies are really commercially available. I recall something about them being leased out to schools or something like that for 400 dollars. I never found out specific details on that.

Kim,

Head aired on the Underground last year. It really has not stood the test of time very well. LOL!

oh well.....I know it is a crappy movie. I have many suggestions on cult movies but most of them are from the 80's and 90's so I am not sure if they really fit.

I will say that any John Waters and Jim Jarmusch film needs to be played.

I must have missed it when Head played.

1984's "The Brother from Another Planet". Written & Directed by John Sayles. I've seen it on IFC and it would be great on The Underground.

Here:http://imdb.com/title/tt0087004/

vallo

Titicut Follies is a black and white 1967 documentary film by Frederick Wiseman about the treatment of patients at the Massachusetts Correctional Institution in Bridgewater, Massachusetts. The title is taken from a talent show put on by the hospital's inmates. (The talent show was taken from the Wampanoag Indian name for the nearby Taunton River).

Titicut Follies is widely considered to be a masterpiece of the direct cinema form in documentary film, portraying the existence of occupants of Bridgewater, some of them catatonic, holed up in unlit cells, only periodically washed down with a hose and taken out in order to receive force feeding. It also portrays the indifference and bullying on the part of the institution's staff. As such, it makes an implicit statement about the power of authority and total institutions. The stark black and white photography and unflinching cin?ma v?rit? presentation make this film a particularly powerful experience.

The film's release was banned (outside the field of education) in the United States from 1967-1992 by a Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruling that, since it was filmed in a hospital, it violated the patients' rights to privacy. Wiseman, the film's director, however, has pointed out that he received permission from all of the people portrayed in the film or else their legal guardian, in this case the superintendent of Bridgewater. He believes that the Massachusetts Government, feeling concerned that it portrayed a state institution in a bad light, took the film out of circulation to protect their own reputation.

In 1992, it was allowed to be shown on PBS. The Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts has ordered that "A brief explanation shall be included in the film that changes and improvements have taken place at Massachusetts Correctional Institution Bridgewater since 1966." The film is now legally available through the distributor, for purchase or rental on VHS, DVD and 16mm film for both educational and individual license. Also, Zipporah Films finally released the DVD of the film to the home market on December 3, 2007.

Good topic.

Well, if TCM schedules items like The Kids Are Alright (1979)...I think 200 Motels (1971) is required for a broadcast. I want to watch 200 Motels and see if the thing is as boring as I remember. I think I was drunk and fell asleep in the theater while Mothers of Invention were doing weird things in front of me.

A comedy I don't remember as very funny...The Kentucky Fried Movie (1977).

Rusty

>Wow, sounds impressive. Thanks!

You're welcome! ^ _ ^

Many of Frederick Wiseman's films are in the National Film Registry.

For some reason, Titicut Follies is still not in the National Film Registry.

Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets---love this movie with a very young Robert Deniro and Harvey Kietel

The Panic in Needle Park (1971) with Al Pacino

The Outsiders/Rumble Fish/Tex/That Was Then This is Now---great movies from my youth.

Polyester----yes John Waters---this movie cracks me up and leaves me in pieces!!!

I Accuse My Parents----known for being one of the worst movies ever and spoofed on Mystery Science Theater 3000

Any Andy Warhol films

Badlands-----yes Martin Sheen's breakthrough performance

Catch 22-----all star 70's cast.

The Warriors ( if it was not all ready played)

Eddie and the Cruisers

El Topo (1970) and other Alejandro Jodorowsky films

Flaming Creatures (1963)

Den Hvide Slavehandel (1910)

Traffic in Souls (1913)

Ralph Bakshi's films, like "Fritz the Cat" and "Heavy Traffic"

The Last House on the Left (1972)

Day of the Woman/I Spit on Your Grave (1978)

Various "women in prison" movies, like "Love Camp 7" and "Caged Heat"

Various "snuff" movies, like "Faces of Death" and "Snuff"

The Wizard of Mars (1965)

Jigoku (Hell) (1960)

TCM should also air experimental short films.

Message was edited by: Metropolisforever

I'd like to see Pretty Maids All in a Row starring Rock Hudson. A few Sam Fuller movies would be great as well, especially The Steel Helmet and The Crimson Kimono (the latter is one I haven't seen yet).

Great topic!! I'll have to think of some more.

Three new to me...

Rivers And Tides (2001).

The Bed Sitting Room (1969).

Mumsy, Nanny, Sonny And Girly (1969).

Rusty

Everyone has made some really awesome suggestions here! I'd also love to see a host again for the double feature, maybe Kim?? :)

I'd love for them to delve more into the Monogram stuff, the really obscure stuff from the 40's and the low-budget studio stuff from the 30's too. Love to see the exploitation flicks from the 30's and 40's get air time, like COCAINE FIENDS, SEX MADNESS, REEFER MADNESS, that type of stuff, and the lesser known of that type as well. Really bad low-budget sci-fi stuff from the 50's/60's (they've done some of that and it's been pretty cool).

Mark

Cool Mark thanks---I would love to host the underground, not only because I grew up around classic, cult and independent films, and I am part of the real underground, but I am trying to better my life and get off of state assistances. It is not as easy as you would think because I get health insurance, which I and everyone need desperately and I need to be making more than I would at say Starbucks or Barnes and Nobles. Once you get on these programs it really is not easy to get off and be able to survive without them without a really good job and I mean a really good job. Plus I am an artist, with talents that need to be used. One job on TV is all you need, everything just snowballs from there.

I get emails about hosting the underground all the time. This was something that was started by some of the fans I accumulated from the TCM fanatic bit. It is such an honor that people think of me in that way. It is definitely in my line. So what people need to do is email TCM if you think that I should be the host of the Underground. That way they have the proof that they need to even begin hiring another host and the fuel they need to get it in the budget. When it comes down to it, it is all about the Benjamin's.

cheers

kpr

Venus in Furs (1970)

Coonskin (1975)

Beat the Devil (1953)

High School Confidential (1957)

Black Sabbath (1964)

Night Tide (1961)

Los Olividados (1950)

Performance (1970)

Marat Sade (1971)

The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976)

Blade Runner (1982)

Johnny Got His Gun (1970)

The Stunt Man (1980)

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)

Seconds (1968)

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970)

My Dinner With Andre (1981)

The Innocents (1961)

Across 110th Street (1972)

Gates of Heaven (1978)

Maniac (1933)

Repulsion (1965)

The Face Behind the Mask (1941)

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (1970)

Last Year at Marienbad (1961)

Brother John (1970)

Eating Raoul (1982)

Animal Farm (1954)

Cotten Comes To Harlem (1970)

The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant (1972)

Slaughterhouse Five (1972)

The Face of Another (1966)

Don't Look Now (1973)

Man Bites Dog (1992)

Cul De Sac (1966)

Claire's Knee (1970)

Chinese Roulette (1976)

Shock Corridor (1963)

The Ruling Class (1972)

The Wall (1982)